Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That many tattoos in EVE are nano-tattoos created with microchips implanted in the skin, programmed to react to the wearer's emotional state? Read more here.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Imperial Inquisition  (Read 3725 times)

Lyn Farel

Imperial Inquisition
« on: 13 Aug 2011, 07:30 »

I saw today 2 amarrian inquisitors, ICly. Which made me wonder, do we have sources and things like that in the PF that could validate the concept of inquisitors ? Do they exist ? Or do we only have what we know of the MIO and the TC ?

Has it to be considered as PF or player driven content ? And if so, how do you see it ?

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
Re: Imperial Inquisition
« Reply #1 on: 13 Aug 2011, 08:39 »

*chuckles*

Edit: So, unless this really is a joke, it'd be nice if you'd provide the logs of that encounter. I'm curious who those inquisitors are, whom they belong to and what they were doing - and even more so since I don't think I'll ever get to see any in my gametime.  :)
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2011, 08:46 by Laerise [PIE] »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #2 on: 13 Aug 2011, 13:00 »

I am definitly not going to post in public IC logs of people without asking them before... And it will be hard to do so as it was on The Summit channel, with a lot of people (and so, a damn wall of text to post). I will not give out names either as my intention was not to speak about people, and even less starting to tell if they are doing it right or wrong. Maybe I expressed myself clumsily by mentionning them, but my actual question was about the concept of inquisition/inquisitors.

It seems potentially logical to imagine that with the PF and the amarrian background, we could definitly see inquisitors, though it is matter of debate of course. As much as I know the PF not too bad after almost 5 years of playing, I am not a PF nerd either and could definitly have missed something about this, thus my first intention to firstly see if someone has seen such a mention in the PF. Then, which is also interesting, discussing about the concept in itself.

And no, this is not a joke, why would I be joking ? : o

Kazzzi

• Egger
« Reply #3 on: 13 Aug 2011, 13:31 »

Warhammer 40k inquisitors are kewl. 40k has a lot of influence on EVE players.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #4 on: 13 Aug 2011, 14:11 »

"Inquisitor" might be a legacy name. Since the Moral Reforms they might behave less like secret police (though MIO is rather secret policey anyway), but retain the name they previously used.

Arkady Sadik

• Egger
« Reply #5 on: 13 Aug 2011, 15:02 »

Well, there is definitely PF evidence of an Amarrian Inquisition:

Ardishapur then applauded the relentless work of the Amarrian Inquisition, claiming: "They are a role model to both young disciples of Amarrian religious doctrine as well as devout citizens throughout the universe."
http://www.eveonline.com/mb2/news.asp?nid=174

But that's pretty much the only reference I could find. There is of course the frigate, but well, those names can come from anywhere.

"Inquisitors" have been a staple of player-made fiction for years, though. Both CVA and PIE have had inquisitors very early on, and they have done what you'd expect of inquisitors - checking into the misbehavior of amarrians etc.

I would treat capsuleer inquisitors as just that, though: People proclaimed to be the "thought police" by capsuleers, and not the Empire itself. (I'm not sure how much RP there is among empire loyalists about capsuleers not being God's creatures anymore because they already died, especially with Jamyl now, but that might be another angle to the debate.)

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #6 on: 13 Aug 2011, 22:57 »

That's all I've got to say about those inquisitors, from what I've seen of them and what their particular "issue" appears to be with their target.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Laerise [PIE]

• Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #7 on: 14 Aug 2011, 00:10 »

Oh, boo. If it wasn't 'legit' actors then I don't get the whole excitement  :|

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #8 on: 14 Aug 2011, 03:48 »

Given that their "target" in the Summit played along with the game (even if they weren't legit actors), it seems more like something planned rather than "troleplay".

Lyn Farel

« Reply #9 on: 14 Aug 2011, 05:46 »

Well, there is definitely PF evidence of an Amarrian Inquisition:

Ardishapur then applauded the relentless work of the Amarrian Inquisition, claiming: "They are a role model to both young disciples of Amarrian religious doctrine as well as devout citizens throughout the universe."
http://www.eveonline.com/mb2/news.asp?nid=174

But that's pretty much the only reference I could find. There is of course the frigate, but well, those names can come from anywhere.

"Inquisitors" have been a staple of player-made fiction for years, though. Both CVA and PIE have had inquisitors very early on, and they have done what you'd expect of inquisitors - checking into the misbehavior of amarrians etc.

I would treat capsuleer inquisitors as just that, though: People proclaimed to be the "thought police" by capsuleers, and not the Empire itself. (I'm not sure how much RP there is among empire loyalists about capsuleers not being God's creatures anymore because they already died, especially with Jamyl now, but that might be another angle to the debate.)

Yes, this is my opinion too.

And yes, there is a little RP here and there about the ungodly aspect of died people.

Thanks for the link, which shows that at least a small bit of PF speaks of inquisitors, at least under the Ardishapur house.

Oh, boo. If it wasn't 'legit' actors then I don't get the whole excitement  :|

There is no excitement. My main motivation to open this discussion was to know how my character should behave regarding inquisitors, that have a background of imperial inquisitors. If it was only capsuleers proclaimed inquisitors, I would already have my answer, much like Arkady said above. But here, without any PF knowledge about this particular fact in the imperial society, I was totally stuck with my character. I could have played along while admitting that inquisition is pretty common in the Empire and is a known fact, and then if it was not true, be pretty fucked, like a lot of people ("Oh look, they are fantacizing on religious enforcement !"). I could also have denied their legitimacy, and if I found that it was actually true after, I would have been pretty fucked too ("hey look, she does not even know of the imperial inquisition !").

And well, in line with other topics here opened about militaries, traditions, cultures, etc, it can still be nice to have a discussion around this.
« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2011, 05:48 by Lyn Farel »

Laerise [PIE]

• Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #10 on: 14 Aug 2011, 06:00 »

Well, the question remains. Were it legit ccp actors portraying inquisitors - or non ccp people who put "was an inquisitor" in their background, because that's kind of crucial here.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #11 on: 14 Aug 2011, 06:10 »

They are just players with "fancy" bios saying they work for the government. :roll: I'll edit and post more when I'm on the train - going on a trip.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Laerise [PIE]

• Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #12 on: 14 Aug 2011, 07:01 »

Thanks a lot.

I was asking specifically because CCP actors would actually constitute (new) PF on that bit, whereas we now know that we only have old sources to draw from.  :)

Raze Valadeus

« Reply #13 on: 14 Aug 2011, 11:53 »

Given that their "target" in the Summit played along with the game (even if they weren't legit actors), it seems more like something planned rather than "troleplay".

As I'm their "target" apparently, I have absolutely no idea who they are and no idea what is going to come of the whole situation. I'm only playing along because I see the chance for some interesting RP and I have difficulty dismissing them candidly simply because ~I~ think they have no right to be doing what they're doing.

As it stands, I figure I'll just let it play out and make the most of the situation. Even negative aspects in RP are RP nonetheless and perhaps something good and exciting can come from this.

I reiterate though: I have no idea who they are and this is not anything I planned, at all. I was pretty taken by surprise and still am skeptical regarding the whole situation.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #14 on: 14 Aug 2011, 12:28 »

in one of teh level 1 mission,s there's mention of an inquisitor.

they appear as a frozen corpse LCS iirc, showinfo says "the inhospitability of space no longer bothers this individual" or similar.

Might be "the letters of bishop dalamaid" mission, not sure. if i have an opportunity, i'll take a look
\o/
Pages: [1] 2 3