Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

DED has very long-standing military laws governing the conduct of its officers.

Author Topic: Bush....WE GOT'EM!  (Read 1592 times)

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll

Helen Ohmiras

Re: Bush....WE GOT'EM!
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2011, 10:39 »

:D

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2011, 10:44 »

If they actually arrest him, I will pop a bottle of champagne. It'll be a greater day in history than the killing of Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein put together. The greatest terrorist leader the world has ever seen, arrested in Canada of all places.

Crucifire

« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2011, 10:54 »

Haha, him and Clinton will be in Surrey, and even I stayed out of that place when I lived in Van.

But what an amazing headline that would make.

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll
« Reply #4 on: 12 Oct 2011, 11:17 »

They put in a request for Bush's buddy, Donald, when he was coming to talk about his book in Alberta, but im pretty sure Donny got away. Especially sincem,  and im almost certain, that Alberta is willing to become part of the US as is.
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2011, 11:47 by Invelious »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #5 on: 12 Oct 2011, 11:39 »

I approve.

A little accountability kthxbai.

Note : my president should be arrested too.

DA5UN

• Wetgraver
  • Even drones can fly away
« Reply #6 on: 12 Oct 2011, 13:19 »

They, or a group similar, called on the same thing when Dick Cheney came for a visit.

Didn't make the news so I assume there was no actual arrest in that case.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #7 on: 12 Oct 2011, 14:03 »

Because Amnesty International is a group that gets things done.

*snerk*

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #8 on: 12 Oct 2011, 15:41 »

AI does get things done. Just not in big flashy ways like say, arresting former presidents. But their research and public pressure campaigns do matter in the world.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #9 on: 12 Oct 2011, 16:18 »

Amnesty International is far better than making facepalm-inducing statements like that.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #10 on: 12 Oct 2011, 16:25 »

I don't count it particularly facepalm inducing. It's never going to happen, of course. There's no accountability for your actions once you get past a certain social and financial strata, after all. However, as a reminder of these facts, this kind of message is extraordinarily effective. It reminds people that there's horrific crimes being committed even in the highest levels of society and also that the system is horrendously broken as accountability becomes a concept that's practically laughed at.

"It can't be a crime if the President does it." is a quote I enjoyed immensely in Transmetropolitan. The distinguishing features between the two primary antagonists being that only one of them was joking when he said it.

Bush may never be held accountable for his crimes, Seriphyn... but there's nothing facepalm inducing about remembering that he did commit those crimes.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #11 on: 12 Oct 2011, 18:57 »

True, Mizhara, I think that too but...I feel there are other ways to bring attention to that.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 12 Oct 2011, 19:03 »

Quote from: UN Convention Against Torture
...any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person for such purposes as obtaining from him, or a third person, information or a confession, punishing him for an act he or a third person has committed or is suspected of having committed, or intimidating or coercing him or a third person, or for any reason based on discrimination of any kind, when such pain or suffering is inflicted by or at the instigation of or with the consent or acquiescence of a public official or other person acting in an official capacity. It does not include pain or suffering arising only from, inherent in, or incidental to, lawful sanctions.

That is a broad definition!  It can potentially include all manner of actions and leaves open what the definition of severe is.  Is breaking a finger severe?  How about keeping a detainee up for the same length of time as the guards?

Also, what is a "lawful sanction?"

I think the definition is sufficiently broad that most political leaders or their subordinates serving in an agency which conducts interrogation could potentially be caught under it.

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #13 on: 13 Oct 2011, 06:07 »

If they actually arrest him, I will pop a bottle of champagne. It'll be a greater day in history than the "killing" of Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein put together. The greatest terrorist leader the world has ever seen, arrested in Canada of all places.
>

It would be cool, but i fear Canada don't have the balls to do that really.

<CENZORED>