Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the first ways to crack safe spots was to warp past the person and hope your bookmark landed you next to them?

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: All that is gold does not glitter - Data sites, expeditions and more  (Read 5307 times)

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

The general consensus right now is that Relic sites are worth more than their Data site counterparts when it comes to the basic ISK per hour and this is something that we’ve had on our radar for a while.

The (probably unintended) pun in here is killing me.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire

Relic sites used to be Radar sites?

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

Data = Radar
Relic = Magnetometric
Gas = Ladar
Ore = Grav
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/

no more new background in missions.  :psyccp:
\o/

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod

This is what struck me first as well.

There was some unnecessary babble in there, yes, but this just strips it down to "go to location X to do thing Y for reward Z".
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/

This is what struck me first as well.

There was some unnecessary babble in there, yes, but this just strips it down to "go to location X to do thing Y for reward Z".

Before anyone brings it up, I am aware that they said it was just the career agent missions they were 'streamlining' like this.

however, what does that tell you, regarding CCP's attitude to their own background ? It says they are not interested in presenting the background to new players. They even dismiss it as "wall of text" in the devblog.

so when the introduction to EVE does not say the background is important, how would a new player ever develop an interest in the background ? And what is that going to do regarding introducing new players to RP ?
\o/

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.

There are better ways than walls of text in career agent missions. None of them have been particularly useful as to the subject of Eve background so far, so why not make them less likely to repulse new players?

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain

Career agents are not the place to put "Lore" and background information....

Most players would just swiftly complete them in order to "enjoy" the content and the isk.

regular missions, epic arc, cosmos (which should be converted to epic arc engine btw), exploration sites, landmarks and the like are the best options.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/

well, I don't think it bodes well for the future, as regards lore being accessible ingame, as opposed to behind a paywall in the form of books like eve source.
\o/

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod

Honestly, I don't mind that at all. The ones that'd be interested enough in it for it to matter would be roleplayers and any roleplayers that wouldn't bother reading a bit of the stuff on the wiki, the PF sections etc etc I wouldn't bother dealing with anyway. It doesn't have to infest the gameplay. That's where the foreground story should be told. Better details and fluff directly pertaining to your current mission. The backstory/background stuff should be exactly there. Fuzzy and out of focus in the background until someone bothers checking it out.

I have barely skimmed mission texts as it is. When I'm in-game doing missions or whatever I got shit to do. Hiding the PF/worldbuilding in there would be horrible, as I've got better things to do at the time than read backstory I'd rather go look up on a wiki or in Source when I have a need or interest in it.

It's all available anyway, no need to shoehorn it in where it doesn't belong.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/

Better details and fluff directly pertaining to your current mission.

Except that's not what they're doing. They're taking out all the "details and fluff", so that instead of "take this thing to here, because reasons", it is just "take this here".

A while back, they made some 20 new 'storyline' missions, which were mostly courier missions, which included a lot of world information. Cargoes were of various types, things like hybrid slaver hounds, and the mission briefing talked about why those were important. That sort of thing is completely opposite to what this dev blog is suggesting.

Courier missions as just "take this there". Well, that sure is interesting and provides content to rp about.
\o/

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod

Are you sure you want to pull content to RP about from a reel of missions running on random-repeat? I'd rather get my content from either events or books, to be quite honest.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/

Are you sure you want to pull content to RP about from a reel of missions running on random-repeat? I'd rather get my content from either events or books, to be quite honest.

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Counterfeit_Voluval_Tattoo_Chemicals

you're right, there's nothing that might come up in a mission that provides things to RP about.
\o/

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod

I think you're intentionally missing the point, here.

Pages: [1] 2 3