Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that the Minmatar military specifically recruits hardened criminals for service in its elite Valklear units, and that many of the Republic's most senior officers were originally recruited in this way?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Transverse: New Space MMO  (Read 1646 times)

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
Re: Transverse: New Space MMO
« Reply #15 on: 11 Sep 2014, 15:28 »

I have to admit, I never really touched MWO, but their mistakes seemed to be a classic case of post-launch poorly-thought-out game design changes + failure to listen to and alienating the community + cashgrab lols. And that's even before we get into any issues you might have with the basic game design, like the limited fight size, inflexible maps, and lack of any other Battletech units.

For that reason, I can't really get hype about this at all. It combines a developer with known issues and a market area ( "space MMOs") that's rapidly becoming saturated with seemingly far-better options. If it arrives to rave reviews, I'll give it a poke. If not... not surprised.

I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 11 Sep 2014, 16:12 »

It is odd how space MMO was such a desert for so long. Suddenly, they are coming out or in development left and right.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #17 on: 11 Sep 2014, 16:21 »

maybe it's because people have stopped trying to reinvent WoW ? and now they're trying to reinvent space mmos ?

or something
\o/

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #18 on: 11 Sep 2014, 16:23 »

It might be because other developers see Star Citizen $50 million in crowd funding without having to bend over for a publisher studio.

A small studio getting 5% of that is a win for many tiny production teams

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 11 Sep 2014, 16:39 »

Probably all of the above. Some people are burned out on fantasy and developers realized there is a massive untapped market. Even non-MMO's are starting to head back into space again. Space opera settings are also back 'in' culturally. AbramsTrek, Star Wars coming back, Gravity, Jupiter Rising, the list goes on.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #20 on: 11 Sep 2014, 17:47 »

I'm inclined to say it was a cultural thing first, and some corporate suit types went to the designers and said "is there a market for this setting?" And they went "EVE, E&B, Elite, X series, homeworld, when do you want us to stop?"

So one or two designers get some funding, kick it off. They point to EVE for staying power and SC for popularity. Bingo, market swarm.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Drakolus

« Reply #21 on: 11 Sep 2014, 20:40 »

In regards to the MWO thing, aside from the P2W aspect they were TERRIBLE about communication.  Their updates and path seemed to be to jump from one flavor of the month/everyone has to play THIS way type setup to the next.  The community would howl about something and they'd overkill the shit out of it.  Then as it went on they got their "favorites" set up and it seemed like whatever they wanted, strangely the game would start sliding towards.  Add to that I think they did a complete forum wipe or something of the sort after one of their more horrendous screw ups.

MWO is pretty much the #1 reason why I don't buy into alphas/betas or kickstarters anymore.  I still consider it a 60$ lesson in why throwing money at something you love but that is not proven...is a terrible idea.  I would literally punch kittens for a "good" Battletech/Mechwarrior game, online or not.

Drakolus

« Reply #22 on: 28 Sep 2014, 13:20 »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #23 on: 28 Sep 2014, 14:45 »

All I see in that article is self sufficient asshattery.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #24 on: 29 Sep 2014, 07:50 »

I hadn't caught all of the blatant rip-offs of ships and environments (having not been able to make it through the barf-inducing pledge video).

I am happy that the gaming public sees this for the transparent cash-grab that it is.  I hope it fails miserably and doesn't get funded so more companies will think twice.

PEW PEW PEW PEW
Pages: 1 [2]