Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Sukuuvestaa megacorporation owns as much as 1/3 of all real estate in the Caldari State, and is considered one of the State's most ruthless corporations?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Transverse: New Space MMO  (Read 1648 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Transverse: New Space MMO
« on: 10 Sep 2014, 19:23 »

I'm not touching this with 1000m pulse laser.

Piranha are the punks that made the travesty of Mechwarrior Online, which I'm still pissed about.

So much no.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/09/10/sandbox-space-mechwarrior-online-folks-transverse/

Jace

• Veteran
Re: Transverse: New Space MMO
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2014, 20:31 »

Meh. I have a hard time seeing another MMO getting me to try it out at this point. Oddly enough, I want a less ship-focused sci-fi game at this point in my life.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2014, 20:51 »

Meh. I have a hard time seeing another MMO getting me to try it out at this point. Oddly enough, I want a less ship-focused sci-fi game at this point in my life.

'You played too much EVE when you...'

I'm going to be wary of Transverse considering that it's developed by the same dudes behind MWO.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2014, 21:02 »

Also, a name that terrible is just like [RED FLAG]

Drakolus

« Reply #4 on: 11 Sep 2014, 06:38 »

I'm still :mad: after how badly the screwed up MWO so nope nope nope to this.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2014, 08:42 »

It looks like a pretty blatant cash grab and bereft of any originality in design or intention.

The amount of fail that they produced with MWO has left such a bad taste in my mouth (and wallet), that I will probably never, ever give Piranha or anything they do money again.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #6 on: 11 Sep 2014, 09:35 »

What did they do with MWO out of curiosity ?

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #7 on: 11 Sep 2014, 09:43 »

Well they made it O to start with, but that may just have been a peeve of mine. I stopped giving a shite about it when I realized I wasn't getting a decent singleplayer out of it. No idea what else they did to it.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #8 on: 11 Sep 2014, 10:22 »

In terms of real criticisms, they basically took it from a flawed but okay mech simulation to a blantant P2W with On-Pay overpowered Clan Mechs.  They made it so hard to grind that you have no choice but to pay them for new mechs, unless you want to be stuck for months with the shitty starters.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 11 Sep 2014, 10:31 »

I don't regret many of the early access games I've put money toward helping. I may have put a little too much into Planetside 2, but that's still a fun game.

I absolutely regret the money that I gave MWO and I've been kicking myself ever since I passed on the opportunity to get a refund. Fuck those guys with all the fucks in the fucking fuck.

... and how on earth is there not a Space Engineers thread on this board? This might need fixed.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 11 Sep 2014, 11:16 »

I think the only funding I have ever done is SNOW. And I don't regret it one bit.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #11 on: 11 Sep 2014, 11:49 »

In terms of real criticisms, they basically took it from a flawed but okay mech simulation to a blantant P2W with On-Pay overpowered Clan Mechs.  They made it so hard to grind that you have no choice but to pay them for new mechs, unless you want to be stuck for months with the shitty starters.

There's been some 'contention' as to how much Piranha is at fault for the P2W formula vs the other corporate entities involved.

For me it's just a barrel full of missed opportunities and misfires.

The engine and the 'feel' was always very 'meh' for me.   You never got the sense of being in control of a ten-story mech raining destruction upon an urban landscape, it was more of 'window into a static and empty landscape' feel.

I want cars crunching underneath, animals and civilians scurrying for cover, small arms fire from ground troops pinging uselessly off of your hull, and lots of signs of epic conflict going on just outside of your immediate battle.

I want tall buildings being obliterated as you fire Gauss rifles and miss your target, you never got a sense that the weapons you were using were actually destructive.  I want holes chewed out of rock formations and twenty story buildings crumbling.

Nope.  Static window viewing a dead, uninteractive landscape.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 11 Sep 2014, 12:13 »

This was my problem with the Armored Core series as time went on. Back in its day, they were great games. But as technology and gaming developed they never kept up with everyone else. Everything started feeling incredibly static and uninspired compared to the rest of the gaming world. It was disappointing considering how much I loved in the early ones.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #13 on: 11 Sep 2014, 12:35 »

This was my problem with the Armored Core series as time went on. Back in its day, they were great games. But as technology and gaming developed they never kept up with everyone else. Everything started feeling incredibly static and uninspired compared to the rest of the gaming world. It was disappointing considering how much I loved in the early ones.

Yea I think sometimes the answer is to reduce fidelity to increase interactivity.  I don't need all the buildings modeled in high poly if they are going to get destroyed.

That or you can even go the 'gears of war' route with specific scenery changes tied to levels.  So 'city map' might have an ability to trigger a damn being broken and flooding the city, along a pre-determined graphical route.   

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 11 Sep 2014, 12:55 »

Yea I think sometimes the answer is to reduce fidelity to increase interactivity.  I don't need all the buildings modeled in high poly if they are going to get destroyed.

That or you can even go the 'gears of war' route with specific scenery changes tied to levels.  So 'city map' might have an ability to trigger a damn being broken and flooding the city, along a pre-determined graphical route.

Armored Core was one of those games that I think the devs consciously dragged it out to try to make quick cash on the multiplayer community. The balancing was overall pretty good each time and arenas became the focus - everything else faltered terribly as it went on. But as the years go on, static arenas no longer satisfy anyone but the most hardcore multiplayer fans as well.
Pages: [1] 2