Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Guristas co-founder Jirai Laitanen, also known as Fatal, was podded in YC106, but suffered from severe memory loss and motor impairment because he only had an inferior clone on standby.

Author Topic: [Character] Commander Baxter  (Read 1377 times)

Cmdr Baxter

• "The Old Man"
  • Egger
    • The Synenose Accord
[Character] Commander Baxter
« on: 11 Mar 2011, 23:59 »

[spoiler="Caldari Navy Intelligence Personality Assessment"]/> [ERROR:Code515000847]
/> .....
/> could be seen in some corners as possessing the requisite traits that would, under other circumstances, form a capable State naval officer. He has no blotches on his service record and - so far as anyone knows - has never taken so much as a bribe. For the most part, however, he has flown his career under the radar: four decades of life - first in a Caldari State orphanage, later as a security officer and employee of Wiyrkomi - ground into him the fact that leadership was not his role and place in life. That left him free to develop traits of efficiency, diligence, and commitment.

/> [REDACTED] and [REDACTED] comment that it was these three traits that have served him well so far to date, albeit unintentionally. It was Wiyrkomi upper management who first recognized and saw potential in his natural affinities for military technology and knowledge. In response they "invested" in him, paying for extensive bodmodding and training in order to elevate him to capsuleer status, with the attached condition of putting the training to work for the Caldari Navy. In YC112 his old mentor had his commission reactivated, based on a perception that his former pupil correctly recognized the Nation threat as exceeding that posed by the Federation. Less than a year later came his elevation to SYNE CEO because he was perceived - publicly - as someone who was willing to "get the job done."

/> As SYNE CEO he appears to have settled into the role of "armchair general" and networker. Behind his back his employees call him "The Old Man" or "Commander Bastard," but internal morale is high as he continues to guide the corporation towards his perception of where it should be. His preference for building consensus before undertaking radical action certainly hasn't hurt things.

/> [REDACTED] comments, based on analysis, that Baxter may be frustrated by a distinct lack of recognition of the Nation threat. Despite his educational history in State-run institutions he is something of a 'maverick' by Caldari standards and bucks the trend where xenophobia towards outsiders is concerned. Thus he views the rise of Sansha's Nation as a greater threat than the Federation: by extension he believes the war is a waste of vital munitions, ships, ore, and personnel better spent attacking Nation infrastructure.

/> Close File
/> .....
/> File Closed[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Goals]// Long-term //

> Transforming SYNE - by building on its standings, reputation, and past successes - into a vehicle to assist in engineering Nation's defeat.
..... Encourage the research and dissemination of new scientific information on Nation technology.
..... Use SYNE's position as an independent, non-government-affiliated corporation to encourage greater cooperation amongst the scattered and diverse anti-Nation community, without resorting to alliance-building (a la FCORD).
..... Recruiting a talented and able body of pilots to the corporation, or building effective networks with those willing to partner with SYNE (regardless of affiliation and background) for the common goal of defeating Nation.

> Identifying a successor and laying the groundwork for a smooth transition of CEO responsibilities in the post-war era (timeframe not yet established).

// Short-term //

> Conducting personal research and study of past archived information regarding the Sleepers, in order to educate himself on contemporary schools of thought/current theories, and documented information.

> Work alongside the corporate "rank-and-file" to build a strong, effective, team that is skilled in the combat and industry areas required to support the ongoing hostilities.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2011, 22:36 by Cmdr Baxter »

Major JSilva

Re: [Character] Commander Baxter
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2011, 05:22 »

Nice work with the graphics. Can't wait to see it flushed out more in future

Cmdr Baxter

• "The Old Man"
  • Egger
    • The Synenose Accord
« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2011, 11:09 »

Thank God for all those years of creating sigs for Star Wars RP; that's how I figured out the trick of static-and-venetian blinds that's used in the background of the image. (All graphics of mine are rendered on Corel PaintShop Pro X3.)

I'm already hard at work on trying to bring this into RP. Just posted Ghost Part 3 a few minutes ago and Part 4 is in progress. Hallelujah!

Cmdr Baxter

• "The Old Man"
  • Egger
    • The Synenose Accord
« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2012, 22:38 »

I'm going to practice a little forum necro; I'd rather not start a new thread about the same character.

Ghost Hunter commented to me a few days ago that it'd be interesting to see an ultra-nationalist Baxter. I like the idea, but I'm having trouble reconciling "rah-rah go State!" of the Diana Kim variety with "ready and willing to work with the State's enemies."

I think Baxter is fairly established by now as a "willing to work with all types" individual, so I could use some help. It's not like I can flip a switch and he suddenly goes from "pro-anybody-against-Sansha's-Nation" to "rah rah go State die Gallente!"

Any suggestions/thoughts? Can't help but feel like I've boxed myself into a corner.  :bash:
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2012, 22:42 by Cmdr Baxter »

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2012, 22:41 »

I'm going to practice a little forum necro; I'd rather not start a new thread about the same character.

Ghost Hunter commented to me a few days ago that it'd be interesting to see an ultra-nationalist Baxter. I like the idea, but I'm having trouble reconciling "rah-rah go State!" of the Diana Kim variety with "ready and willing to work with the State's enemies."

I think Baxter is fairly established by now as a "willing to work with all types" individual, so I could use some help. It's not like I can flip a switch and he suddenly goes from "pro-anybody-against-Sansha's-Nation" to "rah rah go State die Gallente!"

Any suggestions/thoughts?

Have something happen wherein those non-caldari people he was working with utterly betray his trust?
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 26 Sep 2012, 22:43 »

"The only way the cluster can survive the threats facing it is to focus on efficiency and achievement.  We must use every advantage given to us, and we must focus on those with the talent, the drive, and the vision to help our race survive.  The threat of sparkling Sansha Twilight slash-fic authors is too grave.  The State is humanity's only real chance against such a menace."
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Cmdr Baxter

• "The Old Man"
  • Egger
    • The Synenose Accord
« Reply #6 on: 26 Sep 2012, 22:49 »

"The only way the cluster can survive the threats facing it is to focus on efficiency and achievement.  We must use every advantage given to us, and we must focus on those with the talent, the drive, and the vision to help our race survive.  The threat of sparkling Sansha Twilight slash-fic authors is too grave.  The State is humanity's only real chance against such a menace."

Because ancestors know, those glittering ships are just going to blind us and turn the State into a giant disco ball populated by Sansha Twilight slash-fic authors. And who'd want Jita to be the next Studio 54 disco ball anyways? It's already enough of a menace.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #7 on: 26 Sep 2012, 22:54 »

Any suggestions/thoughts? Can't help but feel like I've boxed myself into a corner.  :bash:

<mod hat>We don't really frown on necroing threads - and specifically for character threads you are encouraged to keep it all in a single thread for easy reference, so this is the right move.</mod hat>

To address your actual question, a more gradual shift is probably best. Either toward seeing the Caldari way as the only way forward, and so being willing to work with anyone (so long as 'anyone' is willing to subordinate themselves to the Caldari State) or you could have a sort of creeping borderline paranoia come into effect, and the slow descent toward rabid nationalism could be a byproduct.