Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Blood Raiders as a faction are motivated principally by the desire to draw closer to the Red God? (The Burning Life, p. 56)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17

Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous (Or: Why has this thread not been made yet!?)  (Read 39331 times)

Thorolfur

• Clonejack
  • Hydarius
    • My Eve things

So finally made it a trade route system I found thanks to elitetradingtool.

Commander Hydarius can be found bouncing of things near the Gilgamesh system, currently doing trade runs and exploration for cerdits, so generally I'm within 20-40 ly of there.

Current goal: Buy a docking computer and find out how it works.
I do not take convo's (eve-mail first)
Profession: Guide to the roundabout doors of eve,
never gone, but really all there.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

Buy, fit into internal compartment, leave running.

It works automatically.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain

Buy, fit into internal compartment, leave running.

It works runs you into the station automatically.

Saves you the trouble of crashing yourself.

Ok, so maybe they actually work properly most of the time, but really. Get good at docking and save the internal space for cargo or fuel scoop or w/e.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

It's worth using once or twice for the easter egg.

Beyond that, yeah. Learning how to dock quickly at high speeds is your best bet. That or being careful.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Demion Samenel

• Commander
  • Egger
    • 4TH blog

Game acquired, so far I enjoy it immensely might even get me a stick

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=123479

Mostly the video linked in the OP. But the comments in the thread are pretty good too. :lol:
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

That guy's voice made me want to punch a wall, so annoying.

How is Elite coming along?

Have players started coalescing into larger groups for territory? I don't know much about the pvp in Elite, are those of you doing this finding an enjoyable amount of depth for shooting / fitting / strategy sorts of approaches yet?

I say that because SC right now only has the single-seat dogfighters working and the demo gameplay is very limited as a result until we start mixing in different classes. I think Elite has a few different sizes to shoot each other with yea?

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=123776 patch notes for today's 1.2 "Wings" release (it includes other things)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6SLTQZhRvg ship size comparison video for all player-flyable ships as of 1.2 using the new debug camera.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

I mean are you all having fun? Keeping busy in game? Explored the available content? Just looking for a sense of "it's awesome and I've only seen 10% of the game!" or "It's ok but there's not enough to do yet"

Just curious!

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

I have been too busy to play the last week or so and am about to disappear to Fanfest. Also not a participant in the betas for the point releases.

I'm having fun when I play but progression in some areas is slow and I don't have a ton of time to devote to grinding credits to get a ship larger than the Asp I'm flying right now.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

I have been too busy to play the last week or so and am about to disappear to Fanfest. Also not a participant in the betas for the point releases.

I'm having fun when I play but progression in some areas is slow and I don't have a ton of time to devote to grinding credits to get a ship larger than the Asp I'm flying right now.

OOh that's in like 9 days! Yay you!

Aelisha

• Egger
  • Maker of ISK, Supplier of SRPs

The issue with ED atm is lack of localised content.  They have fixed (to a degree) the emptiness by allowing us to group up in multiplayer wings, but the unique benefit of ED over any other game remains a huge galaxy.  Which is a remarkable achievement, but hard to appreciate if you want to do anything other than exploring. 

I have explored substantially, to the point where 150-180 stars now bear the 'First Discovered by Nyninch Anaconda' tag, but have decided to live the mercenary life for now, fighting in the proxy wars and border skirmishes of the great nations.  The main issue is a sense of detachment - missions feel a little cookie cutter, though this is offset by grouping which adds some chaos to the otherwise template fights.  Outcomes and politics are most definitely player driven, I've seen dedicated supporters of freedom, tyranny and everything in between get their agendas pushed through in various systems, but this is mostly experienced through the 'who owns what and how' interface - there's a telling distance there. 

Now we should most definitely not think that we should be the big fish in this galaxy, Elite has always been about space jockeys fighting against the odds to get their cut and make their mark, but more variety in the automatically generated content is required.

Long story short, i remain exceedingly positive about Elite, but it is a work in progress (as most MMOs or games approaching MMO status are).  All of the foundations are there: ships, careers, pvp, pve, auto generated story line content and progression rewards.  Community events to build new stations by holding off pirates and ship in goods add an additional collaborative and competitive element.  All FD need to do is build on these and add more depth to the breadth of their universe.

A games journalist (I forget which) summed it up succinctly: Oceans of fun, but only knee deep. 

I have great hopes for 1.3, PowerPlay, which has not released official details, but is rumoured to make the military and political activity in the game a lot more dynamic and deep.  Just what we need, really. 

As for explorers, we have planetary flight to look forwards to within the next 8-18 months by my guesstimate, which will add a lot more in the way of visuals and navigational hazard for those solitary daredevils trying to map out the galaxy. 

Highlights of what we have now:

1. The Cobra Mk 3 remains the iconic workhorse of the pilot's federation.  Multirole space calzones are pretty swish.
2. Combat shps and fuel are about to get slashed in price, making trigger happy careers more viable.
3. Big universe, big politics, but with room for independent system stories such as the Onionhead drugs embargo and the current Lugh seccession bid.  The galaxy feels very much alive.
4. Flight mechanics aren't newtonian, but the mix of pseudo-newtonian (capped drift speed in flight assist off, but maintain momentum) and arcade flight (with flight assist on) makes for some very complex and thrilling dog fights.  Even big ships can benefit from drifting one direction while bringing their heaviest facing to bear. 
5. Last but not least, group content.  wings are well implemented and fulfilling to be in.  Strong signal sources are amazingly hard even with just AI opponents and you really have to coordinate to get some giant-killing done unless you're willing to risk your pimped out Fer de Lance, Anaconda or Python in such encounters. 

ED: great game, lacks depth, makes up for it in beauty and execution. 
« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2015, 05:33 by Aelisha »

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

Ok, now that I've actually participated in a warzone conflict for a bit.

Holy shitfuckballs that was fun. Caught it on stream, too, so people can head over to my twitch channel in the next week or two and watch some of the VOD replays.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:

Aelisha

• Egger
  • Maker of ISK, Supplier of SRPs

Community conflict goals really do add something else entirely to the game.  That and the Vulture is a total beast.  Very impressed with the reduction on combat ship prices too - they more accurately reflect their earning potential.  It'll still take a while for me to meet my personal goals, but I am slowly getting there!

Wondering what I should get next right now.  The progression plan some have suggested is: CLipper -> Python/Fer de Lance -> Anaconda (or Corvette?) 

This seems like something that will keep me going for a good long while.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK

Is there anything in this game that looks and sounds like a rustbucket? This is a very important for me. I must fly a rustbucket!
Deep sea fish loves you forever
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17