Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

As part of its political goal to make the State stronger economically, Lai Dai is the primary supporter of the School of Applied Knowledge. Check out more here!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Names of the languages  (Read 2873 times)

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
Re: Names of the languages
« Reply #15 on: 19 Jul 2012, 07:00 »

I'd prefer "Garounais" to "Gallentean" any day.  And remember, the names of individual languages can be as varied as the number of foreign languages that have names for them.

I do too -- assuming Gallentean evolved directly from the language spoken by the Garouni, and not the ones spoken by the Lyaceans, Morthani, or whate'erTheHell other peoples were/are on Gallente Prime.   :twisted:

That said, I use "Callenais" all the time (to denote a creole of Caldari dialects-Napanii-Gallentean dialects that evolved in border areas and worlds with heavy populations of both peoples).

Saana

• Clonejack
    • Aseyakone Fluid Router
« Reply #16 on: 19 Jul 2012, 14:58 »

I think that "Caldanese" as a term might be influenced by Battletech's Swedenese (Rasalhagian Swedish-Japanese pidgin-turned-language). Of course, it likely loans a whole lot from Gallentean, though likely has been a target for national romantic rebuilding. I've used the rather utilitarian term "Standard Caldari (Language)" for the language. (I think Napanii would be akin to some kind of Deteis-Latin within the extended fiction.)

The Amarrian language, I think, is mostly called Amarrish, though an empire of that size would likely have several, with the Imperial language being the official one with other languages being regional ones. India might be an example here, with Hindi and English being common languages and then there being a number of other languages. There might be several languages used only for historical and religious research (compare to, say, Latin, Aramean, Ancient Greek...). One of these might even be the official Imperial language, even if not a word is seen outside Dam-Torsad and the only use would be giving out edicts and writing laws (with the text being immediately translated to modern Amarrish before being distributed).

Gallentean have, of course, Gallentean. And languages for each nationality, but Gallentean is likely the lingua franca (pun intended).

I don't really know about the Matari RP, but I think we had Word of God that most Minmatar can speak Amarrish, even if they might use it only after all other attempts at communicating have failed. I would expect that there's been a significant effort to revive old tribal languages similar to Hebrew revival.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #17 on: 19 Jul 2012, 15:06 »

I don't really know about the Matari RP, but I think we had Word of God that most Minmatar can speak Amarrish, even if they might use it only after all other attempts at communicating have failed. I would expect that there's been a significant effort to revive old tribal languages similar to Hebrew revival.

It's slightly awkward referencing oneself, but here's How I play Matari languages....

Since EON published "True Line", Modern Standard Matari is now part of canon.

Edited for clarity: "... the existence of something that a Boundless Creation spaceship designer once called Modern Standard Matari is now part of canon". What MSM is and how it fits into things are both up for debate. The piece from me about Matari languages lays out how I think of it and what I intended, but has not, itself, been given the "EVE canon" imprimatur.
« Last Edit: 19 Jul 2012, 15:23 by Matariki Rain »

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 19 Jul 2012, 15:49 »

If EON is canon then soft manipulation of Minmatari beliefs in slave populations through storytelling to enable controlling them is canon as well.

Also, Matari is purely player created term that was adopted by CCP.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #19 on: 19 Jul 2012, 16:11 »

If EON is canon then soft manipulation of Minmatari beliefs in slave populations through storytelling to enable controlling them is canon as well.

During the process of publication Zapatero said that the things published in EON that went through the CCP approval process became canon. That did.

I'm not sure I understand your point.

"Matari" has been used by CCP for a long, long time. It's in quite a wide range of chronicles (e.g. "War tattoos" from March 2004), item descriptions and ship write-ups. However it started, it's very much a part of EVE canon.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #20 on: 22 Jul 2012, 11:54 »

Indeed it is, and I claim full credit! I was the first to employ that term in my earliest fiction, and it spread from there.
Pages: 1 [2]