Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Sani Sabik sectarian law-enforcement organization is called the Bleeders, and is a combination of priests and policemen? (The Burning Life, p. 18)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Baby crazy  (Read 8218 times)

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
Re: Baby crazy
« Reply #30 on: 02 Oct 2013, 23:31 »

I'm not somebody who accelerates pregnancies or child growth, but I can say that I think people are entitled to whatever handwaving they'd like in RP when it comes to time scales. EVE itself is not realistic for timescales. Most roleplay venues (houses, estates, bars) are thought up and built within a week, if not a day. Why is it okay to have unreasonably short building periods, but not pregnancies? Why is it okay to retcon some things but not this, especially when pregnancies are not at all reflected in the game? I think berating people for accelerated/retconned pregnancies is pretty close to YDIW.

Those things are just as wrong, in my opinion. *shrugs*

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #31 on: 02 Oct 2013, 23:45 »

I'm just confused about the point of this thread.

Seri's responses and comments seemed to genuinely be curious about it, but it's starting to seem like yet another thread where a particular trend is criticized because people aren't doing it the way someone thinks it should be done. If people want to know more about it, or want to see how other people handle the RP, or are simply confused about a few things - that's all fine and dandy.

I just hope this thread gets canned long before I have to listen to anyone try and tell me (or someone else) I can't roleplay a pregnancy and child because I'm doing it wrong.

Babies just...well, there's not much they can do. Seen a lot of it in RP scenes, and it's mostly just for "D'aww" effect, goo-goo-gaa-gaa from the parents and whatnot.

Back on topic!

I think that's partially to be expected. A lot of having a baby is about caring for the baby. 90% of the first few years are spent running around like crazy trying to tackle one baby crisis after another, from cholic, to tantrums, to feedings, diaper changes, head bonks, boredom with the current toy, wanting to be held, wanting to be put down, wanting to be picked up again. Babies aren't very entertaining (in my opinion), and require a MASSIVE investment of time and energy.

When translated into roleplay, this means that babies aren't going to be very fun to work with. In fact, if you were to be realistic... most of that oogling over how cute he/she is will only be done during naptime, because any other moment is fraught with exasperated and hurried caretaking. Perhaps this is why some people accelerate the growth of the child.

As an RP plot device (which is really all they are, being secondary characters or NPCs), babies really come into play as an acting force of change on the development of the main character. Babies force a lot of changes very quickly, and this is where I feel most of the value is. Whether it's an adoptive (voluntary or not) character taking the baby in, or a willing parent who didn't expect the workload of child-rearing, it's all about how the baby affects the main character.

In short, at that age, the controlling player ought to focus more on how the baby affects the characters and environment, and less about what the baby is actually doing. It's, in effect, just an 'event plot device' until the baby becomes a toddler or older.
« Last Edit: 02 Oct 2013, 23:57 by Katrina Oniseki »

Erys Charantes

• Just another Gallentean girl.
  • Clonejack
« Reply #32 on: 03 Oct 2013, 00:03 »

Thank you Kat.  Personally, I'm of the mindset 'if you don't like it, you don't have to get involved'.  It doesn't even make up a large portion of what goes on far, far from what nearly everyone sees, contrary to popular belief.  If it starts to dominate your RP time, you've gone much too far with the whole 'baby' bit.
« Last Edit: 03 Oct 2013, 00:29 by Erys Charantes »
"The hardest person to know is often yourself."

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #33 on: 03 Oct 2013, 04:25 »

This thread is likely confused because the original OP didn't really posit anything and/or didn't have anything controversial. I'm talking about Anette since Kat asked about how to rp kids effectively. Really, looking at kids irl is all ya gotta do.

The thing is, is that because early teenagers aren't exactly babyish airheads, it's hard to communicate they are teenagers in EVE dialogue, since the way it's written would be identical to an adult. That's why I suspect some people rp very chirpy teen dialogue. It communicates that they are a teenager.

I've worked with twelve year olds who behave pretty much identical to adults. The only exception is their smaller catalogue of knowledge.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #34 on: 03 Oct 2013, 06:22 »

When it comes to play teens, a lot of people usually make the understandable mistake to turn them into manic pixie dream girls when they are girls... Or just idealized versions of children.

Generally it might be better to focus on the problems very endemic to that period of time in their lives. Adapting to adult society, starting to grasp political or ideological concepts but in a very naive and clumsy way, being reactionnary, experimenting, sexuality, relation to parents, etc.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #35 on: 03 Oct 2013, 07:32 »

When it comes to play teens, a lot of people usually make the understandable mistake to turn them into manic pixie dream girls when they are girls... Or just idealized versions of children.

Generally it might be better to focus on the problems very endemic to that period of time in their lives. Adapting to adult society, starting to grasp political or ideological concepts but in a very naive and clumsy way, being reactionnary, experimenting, sexuality, relation to parents, etc.

Yeah, though, I wonder if all the New Eden cultures will have the construct of 'teenager'? Minmatar and Amarr especially...

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #36 on: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13 »

Personally, I figured that the whole 'babies' thing should be saved for when the capsuleer decides to retire from a life of debauchery, adventure and politicking and settle down. It's not like the biological timer is valid for them. The whole lot of them are clones. There are ways to slow down aging. They are clones! What's stopping them from making their clones fruitful and capable of multiplication? And they aren't about to kneel over and groan about backaches like the baseliners do at the age of 60.

So no, capsuleers who travel up and down New Eden shooting dudes up, fighting wars, plundering things and herding cats having time for babies just doesn't sit well for me. That's the complete opposite of 'settling down'. Now, capsuleers who had sort of retired from that kind of life and stays docked up or just casual travel most of the time having babies? Yeah, I can stomach that.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #37 on: 03 Oct 2013, 10:56 »

As for my main, Dex, he has a daughter, he knows she exist and tracked her progress as much as he could through the CN creche's all the way through SWA.  His daughter however was raised by the CN creche system with no direct contact from either young parent.

Impossible Child

quite an emotional story :o
\o/

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #38 on: 03 Oct 2013, 11:02 »

starting to grasp political or ideological concepts but in a very naive and clumsy way, being reactionnary, experimenting, sexuality

Wait...doesn't this apply to a good number of adult capsuleers? Trolololol \o\ \o\

Shiori

« Reply #39 on: 03 Oct 2013, 11:04 »

Bad parenting does not automatically make it bad RP.

Kopenhagen

• Wetgraver
    • Bitter Vet's Social Club
« Reply #40 on: 03 Oct 2013, 11:18 »

I'll never do it in EVE because being a pregnant capsuleer cuts into my ISK/hr.

:yar: Caldari much?

A man who does not test his shaving cream for poison each morning has lost the will to live.

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing
« Reply #41 on: 03 Oct 2013, 11:44 »

Synthia's daughter allows Synthia to develop her humanity, increasing Synthia's ability to determine the context in which Scripture should be Interpreted.

It also increases the breadth of topics that Synthia can make completely baffling pronouncements on:
[ 2013.10.01 19:50:45 ] Synthetic Cultist > my Daughter drew a Circle.
 [ 2013.10.01 19:50:56 ] Katrina Oniseki > Congratulations, Synthia.
 [ 2013.10.01 19:51:09 ] Liuni Kalthis > I do enjoy my keres. How old is she Synthia?
 [ 2013.10.01 19:52:49 ] Synthetic Cultist > Thank you, Katrina Oniseki. My Daughter is 416 Days Old
 [ 2013.10.01 19:53:02 ] Katrina Oniseki > A little over a year. Splendid.
 [ 2013.10.01 19:53:14 ] Katrina Oniseki > How would you rate the quality and accuracy of the circle?
 [ 2013.10.01 19:54:24 ] Synthetic Cultist > It is Technically an Irregular Ovoid, rather than a Circle.
 [ 2013.10.01 19:54:58 ] Katrina Oniseki > But of course it is, considering it was drawn by hand. We'll give her the benefit and call it a circle though.
 [ 2013.10.01 19:55:09 ] Synthetic Cultist > Yes.
 [ 2013.10.01 19:56:10 ] Katrina Oniseki > So... if a perfect ten is a circle drawn in zero gravity by an automated compass, and a 1 would be a roughly rounded squiggly line drawn by a drunken fedo... on that scale, how would you rate it?
 [ 2013.10.01 19:56:23 ] Katrina Oniseki > Say... seven?
 [ 2013.10.01 19:56:32 ] Liuni Kalthis > .....She is one, we should be happy she didn't eat the drawing tool and be done with it.
 [ 2013.10.01 19:56:38 ] Synthetic Cultist > 5.77
 [ 2013.10.01 19:56:48 ] Katrina Oniseki > Excellent progress!
 [ 2013.10.01 19:56:53 ] Synthetic Cultist > Yes.
 [ 2013.10.01 19:56:56 ] Katrina Oniseki > I'm very proud of her. You may tell her that.
 [ 2013.10.01 19:57:11 ] Synthetic Cultist > I Shall do So, Katrina Oniseki.
 [ 2013.10.01 19:57:44 ] Katrina Oniseki > /emote smiles happily, clearly tickled pink by the thought of a 1 year old's 5.77 rated drawn circle

Also, attached artwork.

So, Synthia has a daughter IC. Sue me. vOv
The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #42 on: 04 Oct 2013, 12:16 »

It's something that's been raised a few times for Reppy - first in the case of Inara's adoptive daughter, who she enjoyed playing the older sister/spoiling aunt archetype with.  She's not interested in children herself though.  No interest in having a 'parasite' as she's delicately referred to pregnancy on one occasion, and she doesn't see herself as a good mother.  I'm inclined to agree with her - being an aunt and being a mother are rather different skill sets.  Whatever her faults (and it's a long list), she understands that children aren't something to play games with.  So to speak.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #43 on: 04 Oct 2013, 13:09 »

No, but I khanid alot,which is half as bad. :D

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #44 on: 04 Oct 2013, 13:12 »

No, but I khanid alot,which is half as bad. :D

And here I was thinking Arista starved herself for that wiry thin frame of hers. (ingame, of course. sheesh, people.)
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5