Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That crews from destroyed capsuleer ships make up a substantial part of Blood Raider harvests? (The Burning Life, p. 59)

Author Topic: Anyone miss Fed/Caldari/Intaki RP?  (Read 2126 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Anyone miss Fed/Caldari/Intaki RP?
« on: 01 Nov 2012, 18:19 »

Was just thinking since it sort of cropped up in the Evaulon live event that took place. Anyone miss the three-way RP that took place between these groups?

I think the most attractive thing about it is that you had three blocs that had NO singular opinion that defined each of them. Examples, in regards to controlling the Intaki system...

FEDERATION
Old-fashioned colonialism/imperialism
Protecting the status quo
Protecting the right of the Intaki to democracy (including complaining about the Fed)
Fending off the Caldari to protect the Intaki
Fending off the Caldari to deny the political consequence
Using Intaki as a tool of prestige
Pro-Intaki but anti-Caldari

INTAKI
Full secession
Anti-Caldari but pro-secesssion
Pro-Caldari and pro-secession
Anti-Fed and pro-secession
Pro-Fed but pro-secession
Anti-both, pro-both
Exploiting each side (or both) to fend off the other and advance secessionist cause
Pro-autonomy but not full secession, anti-Caldari, or anti-Fed
Etc

CALDARI
Business opportunity/exploitation
Political damage against Fed
Anti-all things Fed, including Intaki
"Liberating" Intaki from Fed
Protecting Intaki
Conquering Intaki
Advancing secessionist cause to inflict Fed damage and/or actual sympathies with Intaki.

It was actually quite good, looking back at it. I would say that in the case of all three blocs, things are not that extreme. The majority of Caldari don't give a shit about the Intaki, the majority of Intaki don't give a shit about secession, the majority of Fed don't give a shit about Intaki. The beautiful thing about it is the idea of radicalization, that the minority agendas get pushed to the foreground on account of huge drum-banging as a result of the explosive events surrounding Intaki (military conquest etc.), even if the majority don't care for it.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
Re: Anyone miss Fed/Caldari/Intaki RP?
« Reply #1 on: 01 Nov 2012, 19:19 »

I miss intelligent rp related to how federation capsuleer loyalists operate and why would they engage others.

Gesakaarin

« Reply #2 on: 01 Nov 2012, 20:53 »

All that matters are well defined and defended opinions and perspectives. As to whether or not they may be in the "Majority" or "Minority" is functionally irrelevant as it moves discussion and interaction not between two differing viewpoints but attempts to legitimize opinions through something that is functionally unquantifiable and irrelevant in Eve: Supposed public opinion.

This is of course unless one prefers to paint in broad strokes and finds the idea of differing viewpoints troublesome due to an inability to defend their own character perspectives, in-character, and thus needs to default in portraying opinion and thoughts as being right or wrong according to how many supposed citizens support a particular view or not. Given the fact most capsuleers probably don't give a toss about any opinions but their own anyway, it's moot.

Anyway, I'm sure there are Fed RP'ers with the intelligence, ability, charisma and leadership qualities that are more than able to construct an effective context and agenda to promote interest and interaction between the Federation, State and Intaki through multiple groups.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 01 Nov 2012, 22:45 »

I really really miss some of the Intaki getting uppity and trying to leave the Fed :)

They need to go about and start conducting some terrorist activities until their seccessionist demands are met!

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 01 Nov 2012, 23:02 »

When the mechanics are setup to be Jade vs Grey and the nuances we all play(ed) are lost & ignored, it can be tiring to prop up the background.

Do I miss it?  Certainly, my first PvP experiences are from a war with the Archeon Federation (which had two competing Caldari organizations involved).  But the collapse of Aurora and EA & FW changed all of that.

NISYN Aelisha

« Reply #5 on: 02 Nov 2012, 03:23 »

I really really miss some of the Intaki getting uppity and trying to leave the Fed :)

They need to go about and start conducting some terrorist activities until their seccessionist demands are met!

Funnily enough, should the Intaki secession movements out there wish to declare for the STPRO for a spell, I am sure we could be convinced to pass on skills ranging from partisan tactics to full on line warfare.  Though ICly it is my opinion that as the Intaki way of life has merit, they would prosper under the aegis of the State with a much higher (though not complete) degree of self-determination should they be so inclined as to form a closer, corporate pact with Ishukone.  After all, Ishukone is stated as a friend of the Intaki people by many sources.

Still, the war will grind on for some time, how about a taste of State life?  After all, we're already assisting in defending the interests of the Intaki people and respecting the ground rules put forth by the secession representatives we acknowledge.  (Again, capsuleers only, no idea or care for mortal/non-capsuleer reborn opinions on the matter while they continue to be irrelevant in the face of our actions)

As for Sol's opinion - Seri and I discussed that last night.  The Intaki secessionists and Caldari have a 'shared history' of 'oppression' under the Federation, while the Federation is the big bad in our eyes.  They have next to no real similarities outside of that, especially as Intaki are described as somewhat iconoclastic (a stereotype, but one that may be accurate).  So current Caldari/Intaki 'co-operation' is likely just shared political/social capital that will devalue rapidly once a mutual foe no longer exists.  (As far as capsuleers go)

Seriphyn does realize a good point in that we seem to see ourselves as victims of CCP with regards to the lack of depth in the story, but is this not a sandbox?  In real life we have laws and social constructs preventing us from acting on our feelings in many cases, obviously less clear cut and draconian than the Empyrean War edicts, but who says that we have to default to extremes of opinion with a bland, vanilla *shrug* center as the only middle ground?  Even soldiers have feelings and opinions (potentially more so than civvies) about the wars they are fighting, but these are likely to remain internal (they are in WHG) as 'doing ones duty' includes keeping one's moralisations from interfering with the execution of such duties (at least that is my view of State war mentality).  Programmed, socially brainwashed drones make for poor high level strategists - but free thinking cannot run roughshod over the wider view (for some). 

Maybe when all of this is over, or in the company of those we know will not take our IC, off camera musings for meta/ooc/propaganda purposes, we will get to see some 'war diaries' detailing the moral quandaries on both sides.  Personally, Solarienne's thoughts on the war will never see the light of day until she profoundly disagrees with the powers that be, or a lasting peace is declared that would allow some form of introspective publishing.  Then again, maybe Sol's just too wrapped up in the moment-to-moment hustle of warfare to really analyse beyond looking for how to do what she does better? 

There is a lot of deep, unspoken rp - and though it may seem as if there is a dearth of depth and flexibility, I think that it is the unspoken words, and occasional 'charitable activities' of factional role players that can really give a hint as to the levels to which we as role players take things.  In my humble opinion, the fact that this is a small-group, sometimes inferred property adds much more value that a multi-band broadcast declaration of moral feeling or ethical conflict. 

As for the core Intaki/Caldari/Federation role play - the current situation in Intaki has raised a very small, but apt, representation of the interaction there.  As mentioned though, this is an tiny contribution to the pool - but the fluid dynamics of the Caldari who care (or don't, or pretend they care), the odd Federation foray to attempt to destabilise what has become a Caldari power base, and the actions of Intaki secessionists and Serpentis alike have led to a melting pot of private convos, exchanged mails and intrigue.  Depth is always there, but it is often best when it emerges in your aegis, rather than being sought out, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: 02 Nov 2012, 03:27 by NISYN Aelisha »

Bataav

• Egger
    • Intaki Liberation Front
« Reply #6 on: 02 Nov 2012, 07:01 »

Some of us live it every day  :)

Trust a Fed to not be paying attention to what's happening in Intaki though :P

Actually, as an aside to the traditional Intaki/Federation and Intaki/State relationships (what about Intaki/Syndicate?), the main focus of very recent and ongoing RP and activity there has been with regards to the ever present Serpentis threat.

It's been posted about on IGS and on this forum by Coreli Corporation and our old sparring partners in Anshar Inc. have been spotted loitering with intent. On the defending team, the Intaki have received support from Caldari quarters and it's prompting some interesting RP internally regarding the old balancing act. Meanwhile the Federation seem to have been oblivious or ignored it.

It's interesting that the FDU fell over itself to assist against the Serp event a couple of constellations away. It's all good content for us Secessionists to use for our "Fed not giving a shit" material  :)
#FreeIntaki | #IntakiPride

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 02 Nov 2012, 07:11 »

Yeah it's been fun so far.  :D

Desiderya

« Reply #8 on: 02 Nov 2012, 07:41 »

Confirmed, fun.  8)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #9 on: 02 Nov 2012, 08:58 »

Meanwhile the Federation seem to have been oblivious or ignored it.

It's interesting that the FDU fell over itself to assist against the Serp event a couple of constellations away. It's all good content for us Secessionists to use for our "Fed not giving a shit" material  :)

But that's the great thing about it, and shows the complexities and subjectivities inherent in a democratic system. "Intervening" can be seen as "meddling" and thus loss of freedom. The FDU might have very well gone "Oh you want your freedom? OK, we won't bother helping you" etc.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #10 on: 02 Nov 2012, 10:14 »

Seriphyn does realize a good point in that we seem to see ourselves as victims of CCP with regards to the lack of depth in the story, but is this not a sandbox? 

Exactly. We all want more setting information and the hunger for this is never-ending, but sometimes the black empty spaces on the map that say HERE BE MONSTERS give us the opportunity to do what we want and leave our mark.

Back in the day there was nothing about any of this. This thread would have been poo-pood as crazy stuff. "Hey, how about the Intaki having a separatist branch?" BAM! and eight years later it is there in the prime fiction, on Backstage, etc. That's Eve for role-players. You want something? Go get it and grab destiny by the balls!

The great complexity of the situation and a lack of clear status quo is what sustains a huge potential for RP around the Intaki question.
« Last Edit: 02 Nov 2012, 10:15 by GoGo Yubari »

Vendrin

• Clonejack
« Reply #11 on: 10 Nov 2012, 06:01 »

I do miss it.