Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

a lone miner was detained and executed on 29.11YC105 for "suspicious curiosity" after asking passing Imperial Fleet ships "where they were going with all those guns".

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Attitudes to interracial relationships  (Read 6252 times)

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
Re: Attitudes to interracial relationships
« Reply #30 on: 04 Jun 2011, 08:19 »

Bit more effort will improve IGS immensely.

It would be much interesting to engage with Bacchanalian the capsuleer surpremacist bigot than it is Bacchanalian the killboard fetishist and improve the quality of interactions distinctively.

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #31 on: 04 Jun 2011, 21:28 »

Fun and relevant backstory fact: Andreus is only three-quarters Intaki. His maternal grandmother was Garoun Gallentean. The fact that he was marrying a half-Gallentean was a massive point of contention for Andreus' father, Rohet, with his own father, Ranouk, because it was, as Andreus is never afraid to remind the cantankerous, filicidal old monster, a serious violation of the Ixiris' family traditions.

(Fun and entirely irrelevant fact: my ex was a Welsh half-Malaysian)

Vieve

« Reply #32 on: 05 Jun 2011, 14:30 »

Fun and relevant backstory fact: Andreus is only three-quarters Intaki. His maternal grandmother was Garoun Gallentean.

Oh sweet baby Cthulu.

Andreus could be Zagamesh's cousin.  Or Celeste's, for that matter.

Syagrius

• Egger
    • Memoirs of a Madman.
« Reply #33 on: 05 Jun 2011, 14:37 »

Take this for what it’s worth, as its all conjecture.

One of the Gallente bloodlines is immigrant.  I think that speaks for itself.  I would imagine that extends to their children born in the Federation. 

I think a good example is the U.S. 

Culture is more important than race in many ways. 

The trend is fairly clear, a person or couple immigrate. 

They make a life and try to acclimate to the dominant culture in order to assimilate, but still value their native culture. 

Their children are familiar with their “native” culture and language but are more acclimated to the dominant culture. 

In many if not most cases the 2nd generation is fairly ignorant of their “native” culture, and even its language.   

While the Federation is I think more a mix of American and European Democratic/Cultural models, I would imagine the same would apply. 

Many non ethnic Gallentean’s would have assimilated into the dominant culture which is a mishmash of its component cultures. 

This is of course complicated by the role of planetary culture in the Federation. 

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #34 on: 05 Jun 2011, 22:01 »

You  know its pretty weird i somehow interpreted gallentean "inmigrants" as gallentean bloodline who left Luminaire and went out to colonize other worlds.

So they are effectively descendants of pure-blood Gallente, but raised under a slightly different enviroment outside of the homeworld.

For example, in my small piece of fiction for the Ellmay System, i explained a specific issue with the lack of easily available drinking water, and therefore a culture around interior gardens was developed, also a local custom of offering a glass of pure water to a guest evolving out of such a situation.

I would expect that given the freedoms in the Federation, almost every planet would have developed a slightly different culture, to the point of attaining a more dramatic scale than what you see comparing different cities inside the same country. Each of them would be an "inmigrant"......

Or maybe i'm just extending way too much the concept?

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #35 on: 09 Jun 2011, 13:04 »

the minmatar have their tribes, which have distinct and definite differences in appearance and culture.

and have maintained this, despite difficulties such as any blending during enslavement, or the whole emigrants/immigrants to/from the Federation, or other such things, such as a global/interstellar culture which would tend to promote mixing.

which to me suggests they are possibly a lot more picky about relationships than others.

e.g. the two caldari bloodlines look very similar, you can't say "that's a Civire, that's a Detei", but you can pick out the different tribes a lot more easily (although that may just be an accident of art direction).

\o/

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #36 on: 09 Jun 2011, 17:45 »

the minmatar have their tribes, which have distinct and definite differences in appearance and culture.

and have maintained this, despite difficulties such as any blending during enslavement, or the whole emigrants/immigrants to/from the Federation, or other such things, such as a global/interstellar culture which would tend to promote mixing.

which to me suggests they are possibly a lot more picky about relationships than others.

e.g. the two caldari bloodlines look very similar, you can't say "that's a Civire, that's a Detei", but you can pick out the different tribes a lot more easily (although that may just be an accident of art direction).

A lot here depends on whether you believe that the tribal bloodlines have been maintained. Ken's plausibly suggested, in his hitchhikers' guide, that the "tribes" are post-Rebellion inventions, complete with official origin stories based on murky tales and wishes. I'd take that further and suggest that the visually-apparent "tribes" might be the result of Amarrian breeding for certain types of work, much as you can tell a Great Dane (boar hunting) from a Border Collie (herding) from a Bichon Frise (companionship).

(One of the possibilities of this view, by the way, is that Sebiestor are generally so pale because most of them are genetically at least half True Amarrian, while the Vherokior are a blend of Matari bloodlines and Khanid. Against that theory is the difference in the life expectancies that were once offered for "Minmatar" and "Amarrians": it'd be interesting to see the Minmatar life expectancies broken down by "tribe" and "slave/free" status.)

(Another possibility is that the Amarrians took slaves from the Matar continent of Mikramurka to Bhizheba, for instance, and then got a bit superstitious about mixing the lines, so tried to source further stock which shared the characteristics of the first lot.)

I'd be very surprised if it turned out that enslaved Matari had intentionally managed to maintain tribal bloodlines through 700-800 years of slavery. That would be a very different model of slavery to the familiar Earth patterns: more akin to occupation than slavery, perhaps, which would be possible for some portions of the cluster but hard to reconcile with other parts of what we've seen.

(Detour: Do we know anything about Amarrian technology, culture, and attitudes surrounding birth control? I realised after writing that earlier post that my assumptions about slavery and genetics were forged in times of relatively unreliable birth control. If the done thing is to feed female slaves the local equivalent of RU486 any time their bleeding is overdue and they haven't been put to an approved stud -- and to vasectomise Louella's mancubines -- AND if it's somehow a contamination to mix the elevated Amarrian bloodlines with lesser races, then there might be less genetic mixing than I assume. That still doesn't argue for Minmatar control: the studs used over slaves would most likely have had the qualities their Amarrian holders and managers wished to encourage.)

Lyn Farel

« Reply #37 on: 10 Jun 2011, 02:14 »

Maybe for the sebiestor color skin, but imo CCP introduced their very pale skin to fit with their "spacers" background with their space engineers status (the archetype of people living in space for too long, losing muscles, their skin color, etc). Also note that by deduction thukkers have to be even worse if we follow that reasoning.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #38 on: 10 Jun 2011, 02:50 »

Maybe for the sebiestor color skin, but imo CCP introduced their very pale skin to fit with their "spacers" background with their space engineers status (the archetype of people living in space for too long, losing muscles, their skin color, etc). Also note that by deduction thukkers have to be even worse if we follow that reasoning.

I'm not sure that I follow.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #39 on: 10 Jun 2011, 11:07 »

Well maybe its just me but I remember of some old sebiestor description where their pale skin condition was mentionned as a result for them being mostly a race of spacers and engineers. I think it is out of date now though, thinking of it (or maybe I am just having hallucinations).

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #40 on: 10 Jun 2011, 20:33 »

Well maybe its just me but I remember of some old sebiestor description where their pale skin condition was mentionned as a result for them being mostly a race of spacers and engineers. I think it is out of date now though, thinking of it (or maybe I am just having hallucinations).

Lyn, that sounds like the Sebiestor racial description, but those factors are independent, not linked:

Physical description:
The Sebiestors are of slight build, but are lithe and often graceful. Pale, taut skin and thin frame is the norm and these looks lead many to belief they suffer from constant malnutrition and sickness. The Sebiestors favor simple tattoo forms – straight lines and clean patterns, but flowing, symbolic signs are not unheard of.

Brief history:
The Sebiestor tribe hails from the inhospitable steppes of the Mikramurka continent in the northern artic region on Matar. The Sebiestors are the most technically inclined of the Minmatar tribes and were at the forefront in the tentative space exploration program the Minmatars were undertaking just before the Amarrians arrived. Today, most of the Minmatar ships and stations are engineered by Sebiestors.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #41 on: 11 Jun 2011, 05:24 »

Mh yes, brain did some irrelevant links.
Pages: 1 2 [3]