Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ship crews either spend most of their journey in their escape pods, and are awoken with adrenaline only as needed?(Source: The Burning Life novel by CCP Abraxas.) or live aboard ship much like ship's crews today? (Source)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Attitudes to interracial relationships  (Read 6251 times)

Kaleigh Doyle

Re: Attitudes to interracial relationships
« Reply #15 on: 20 May 2011, 12:38 »

I'm sure racial tolerance is variable based on planet as well. Border regions might see a greater influx of intermixed relationships in relative proximity to the line.  I'm sure there's plenty of intolerance on Luminaire, especially of Caldari and Amarr. I think it's really hard to generalize this stuff because opinions about it vary so significantly.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 Jun 2011, 14:25 »

Well.

My character is supposed to be half Brutor and half Sebiestor. When I was creating the backstory for him what I had in mind was something like the relationship between Jake and Beth in Once Were Warriors (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110729/). Only without the physical abuse.

Basically mother was a middle status clanswoman working for Urban Management, and Father is an ex labour slave serving with the Republic Fleet marines. Just to cap it all off Arn's father is much more invested in the corps and his warrior society than any clan. He hasn't even tried to trace which Brutor clan he might be descended from.

I have always figured that the differing attitudes towards clan traditions where what eventually split them up (plus his mother had a promising career to follow) rather than any intrinsic problem with a marriage between different tribes.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Usagi Tsukino

• Wetgraver
  • Fail RPer; Doing It Wrong.
    • Usagi's Seldom Updated Twitter Account
« Reply #17 on: 02 Jun 2011, 14:57 »

I would assume like IRL, any EVE culture that is steeped in cultural traditions and takes bloodline and heritage very seriously would be opposed to interracial relationships - and I say that without casting a finger-waggle of 'racism!' at it. I am familiar with Native Americans who would be quite upset if their children married outside of their nation/tribe but are not racist. (Hoping that made sense.)

Insofar as EVE, I could picture the Minmatar and Caldari being this way, as they are both cultures that are traditionalists and as far as the Caldari, xenophobic. With the Amarr, it would seem pointless to care because there are so damn many of them, though it would likely be similar to England where the Imperial line would be broken if any of them married/carried the blood of an outsider.

I couldn't see it even being an issue in the majority of the Federation. Don't know enough about the Jin'Mei to really understand their background...

TLDR; Probably would depend on the local standards and whether or not cultural and hierarchical (if that is even a word) requirements dictated a 'pure' racial bloodline.

Stimulus :: Multispectacular
<3 Gurista raised, Caldari Navy trained, Bacchanalian alt. <3
Chaotic Dreams | An IC Blog Experiment

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #18 on: 03 Jun 2011, 03:47 »

I would assume like IRL, any EVE culture that is steeped in cultural traditions and takes bloodline and heritage very seriously would be opposed to interracial relationships - and I say that without casting a finger-waggle of 'racism!' at it. I am familiar with Native Americans who would be quite upset if their children married outside of their nation/tribe but are not racist. (Hoping that made sense.)

Yes. Too often when it's brought up either IC or OOC, the reaction is "racist!!1". Barely so; I think the general notion is that the community wants all four races to come off as liberal and accepting, but "just like RL" is something important to be adopted into RP I think.

Saying "I love you", for example, is a Western thing that is not spoken amongst Asian cultures. Instead, they show their love  and dedication through hard work and supporting the family instead. Though "love" in this instance is more duty and loyalty than lustful, soppy feelings. "The family is important and paramount to our lives, and this is my love"

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #19 on: 03 Jun 2011, 11:30 »

Caldari
For a nation that wishes to hold onto its cultural identity from external influences, then marrying outside the culture is probably disliked heavily. We also have distinct Civire and Deteis ethnicities; I began to wonder that since Civire are the workers and Deteis are the leaders, then there isn't much opportunity for Civire/Deteis to establish relationships or contacts with each other, as there would be a class/lifestyle gap between them.

I actually kinda like this interpretation, since it plays on the strengths of the people. Which sucks, what with all the foxy Civ wimminz around. D:
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #20 on: 03 Jun 2011, 12:58 »

Saying "I love you", for example, is a Western thing that is not spoken amongst Asian cultures. Instead, they show their love  and dedication through hard work and supporting the family instead. Though "love" in this instance is more duty and loyalty than lustful, soppy feelings. "The family is important and paramount to our lives, and this is my love"

Hmmm.... I'll have to see if I can pull this off with the wife. 
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #21 on: 03 Jun 2011, 13:14 »

我爱你。 (?)
사랑해. (?)

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #22 on: 03 Jun 2011, 13:22 »

I have a bunch of Japanese and Chinese friends who'd beg to differ with you, here.

With regard to Caldari racial tolerance, remember that Mordu's Legion was formed in large part as a reaction to intolerance shown by racial Caldari to the Intaki that fought on their side during the Caldari-Gallente war.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #23 on: 03 Jun 2011, 13:37 »

I have a bunch of Japanese and Chinese friends who'd beg to differ with you, here.

With regard to Caldari racial tolerance, remember that Mordu's Legion was formed in large part as a reaction to intolerance shown by racial Caldari to the Intaki that fought on their side during the Caldari-Gallente war.

On the other hand, Mordu himself was Caldari and they were assisted in blowing the hell out of said intolerant Caldari by the Caldari Navy. So...yeah.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #24 on: 03 Jun 2011, 15:05 »

On Civire and Deteis being separate: I've often heard the rumour of Word of God existing on them not finding each other attractive, though I've never seen the source. And then, of course, you did assumably have Deteis and Civire assimilate the rarer bloodlines from Caldari Prime during their exile into space.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #25 on: 03 Jun 2011, 17:36 »

Generalizations ("Asian cultures") generally strike me as a bad thing, so yes.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #26 on: 03 Jun 2011, 19:23 »

Well, I would narrow it down to the traditional Indian cultures, in which I'd have direct experience with. There's no soppiness and lust, really, with arranged marriage the norm. The exception is city Indians where it's all very Westernized (first generation immigrants abroad too). The same variances in customs would apply in New Eden as well, unless Gallente romance holos are now impossible to avoid.

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #27 on: 03 Jun 2011, 22:30 »

Bacch thinks non-capsuleers are subhuman and the only relationship worth having with them involves either them serving him or servicing him.  Does that count?  According to his views, those who are not capsuleers are an earlier link in the evolutionary chain, and as such they are animals that look the same but are otherwise inferior.

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
« Reply #28 on: 04 Jun 2011, 07:36 »

Bacch thinks non-capsuleers are subhuman and the only relationship worth having with them involves either them serving him or servicing him.  Does that count?  According to his views, those who are not capsuleers are an earlier link in the evolutionary chain, and as such they are animals that look the same but are otherwise inferior.

I wish you'd portray that on the IGS a bit Bacc, would make our discussions a lot more interesting and less about KD ratio pounding. I'm serious, a bit more narrative colour would do wonders for your roleplay I think.

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #29 on: 04 Jun 2011, 08:08 »

I wish you'd portray that on the IGS a bit Bacc, would make our discussions a lot more interesting and less about KD ratio pounding. I'm serious, a bit more narrative colour would do wonders for your roleplay I think.

I've gone into it quite a bit in channels.  I almost never venture to the IGS, it's a cesspool.   :P
Pages: 1 [2] 3