Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

as Emperor, Doriam Kor-Azor changed the name of the fourth planet of the Kor-Azor system to Eclipticum and its moons to Black Viperia, Griklaeum, and Kileakum in honor of the champions who won him the throne.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Attitudes to interracial relationships  (Read 6250 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Attitudes to interracial relationships
« on: 20 May 2011, 03:15 »

I learnt that the UK has a much higher instance of mixed race marriages and children than in the US. At any rate, here I figured to offer my ideas on how each of the four cultures regard mixed race relationships or "miscegenation".

Gallente
Gallente Prime was likely globalized via peaceful means during their information age, and it is likely that all ethnic Gallenteans originating from Luminaire are all mixed race themselves, through the creation of a "world culture" and cross-cultural contact. With the "Immigrants" ancestry, it indicates that "ethnic Gallenteans" may also have immigrant blood to them (sort of like US Polish-Americans, German-Americans etc.)

However, you're definitely going to have the racial purity types of Luminaire, who are irritated how the ethnicity and culture of their homeword has been tainted by ze blood of a thousand immigrants or whatever. Traditionalist Jin-Mei and Intaki will not approve of marrying outside the culture perhaps due to Reborn/Caste reasons perhaps.

Minmatar
If Tribe is tied to ethnicity, then this is very likely frowned upon. A Tribe's identity would likely be threatened if they mixed about. However, since 1/5 of Minmatar are in the Feds (those varying between tribal traditionalists or being Gallenteanized), then they might have an occurence of being mixed. If they chose to return to the Republic, how would they be treated?

Caldari
For a nation that wishes to hold onto its cultural identity from external influences, then marrying outside the culture is probably disliked heavily. We also have distinct Civire and Deteis ethnicities; I began to wonder that since Civire are the workers and Deteis are the leaders, then there isn't much opportunity for Civire/Deteis to establish relationships or contacts with each other, as there would be a class/lifestyle gap between them.

Amarr
Frowned upon again here probably, if True Amarr are the "chosen race"? Don't want to taint the chosen race with the genes of a foreign bloodline of course. Likely instances of True Amarr holders smexing up slaves and having illegal offspring though.

Anyway, would like to hear your thoughts and counterthoughts on this.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
Re: Attitudes to interracial relationships
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2011, 03:36 »

Gallente

Because of national and cultural pride, crossbreeding with other 'less enlightened' cultures would be frowned upon. Those with pure Gallentean ancestry being more close to the ideal mentality of a citizen having easier access to governmental jobs and places of power. The Intaki would frown upon tainting their spiritually enlightened lineages that allow the Reborn process to succeed more easily, with less memory loss and their concept of karma.

Minmatar

If you go with the noble savage concept, then a Minmatar could breed whomever they wanted as long as the offspring would be strong/viable enough to strengthen the tribe and the Republic as whole. Voluval is a pretty good way to test the offspring. Of course none of this matters if one of the Elders decides something else.

Caldari

I would think that the culture is the thing that a Caldari is measured with. If someone would know the ins and the outs within the culture, they would be accepted. Therefore crossbreeding would be a moot point, as long as things were done in a proper way and the offspring itself raised to the highest standard possible. Being a mongrel could even be an incentive to outdo the purebloods, causing more competition within the system and making the whole State stronger.

Amarr

Bestiality.
Need I say more?

Edit: I didn't touch the fluff bloodlines for a reason.
« Last Edit: 20 May 2011, 03:40 by lallara zhuul »

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Bong-cha Jones

• New Jin Mei
  • Egger
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2011, 06:57 »

I learnt that the UK has a much higher instance of mixed race marriages and children than in the US.

Current census has this the other way around, though the UK figures are a decade out of date.

I mostly agree with what you've said on the factions.  I think the Federation's view on the subject is going to be heavily slanted by what system you're in, with the home systems having the strongest blocs of 'purity'.  One thing I've grown increasingly curious about is how the Caldari who stayed in the Federation style themselves, but that's probably a subject for a different thread.  I bet, though, that they don't like to marry outside themselves.
Formerly Simon Coal.

Desiderya

« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2011, 07:14 »

I've always figured that caldari value culture over bloodlines. Although it is probably mixed nowadays, with all the provist's influences.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2011, 07:16 »

Otherwise pretty much agreeing with everything Lallara (and Seri, really) wrote, except..

Gallente

Because of national and cultural pride, crossbreeding with other 'less enlightened' cultures would be frowned upon. Those with pure Gallentean ancestry being more close to the ideal mentality of a citizen having easier access to governmental jobs and places of power. The Intaki would frown upon tainting their spiritually enlightened lineages that allow the Reborn process to succeed more easily, with less memory loss and their concept of karma.

I think that would represent the other end of the spectrum for the Gallente and Intaki. Both cultures also have their very strong open-minded branches, which would also imply that there would be great exceptance for mixed ethnicities. Most of out of all the factions, the Gallente/Intaki views would be spread along a spectrum.

Overall, I think the more accepting viewpoint would be more dominant for both bloodlines, though. They'd see diversity as increasing their collective strength (while the spiritualist Intaki would argue that spirituality is not tied to the flesh). But there'd always be a sub-set of extremists who'd disagree and go for racial purity.
« Last Edit: 20 May 2011, 07:18 by GoGo Yubari »

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2011, 07:44 »

I think one thing that pervades these sorts of topic in EVE RP is that the majority of us are from liberal backgrounds IRL, so concepts of cultural/racial protectionism (whatever the term may be) would be alien to us as players, and we are more likely to interpret it as racism as opposed to a cultural facet. The exception is the Amarr as they have explicit counter-liberal ideas in their PF from the bat, without having to dig into PF (eg. slavery)

It's the same with discussion of gender, where it is more inclined to descend into accusations of a player's sexist interpretation if their viewpoint on a faction is anything but gender/sexual equality at all levels. For example, I would think the Gallenteans have less of an issue with institutional inequality , sexual discrimination and gender stereotypes, but instead have strong definitions of masculinity and femininity (like jocks and cheerleaders), especially with an individualistic culture "to be yourself". Caldari may be asexual in terms of sexual expression (expression being individualistic based on your identity, gender being a facet of this), while Minmatar/Amarr may have concepts of matriachs and patriachs, with men/women fulfilling different roles. I believe the old Emperor Family NPC corp desc said how the mother and wife of an emperor have strong influence on his politics, lending to the idea of female domination of the private sphere and "influencing behind-the-scenes".

A complete digression from my own OP but :P

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2011, 07:46 »

I think one thing that pervades these sorts of topic in EVE RP is that the majority of us are from liberal backgrounds IRL

Come on, we're old Nazi allies here in Finland!

Oops, there goes the thread.  :bear:

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2011, 08:11 »

Gallenteans:
Fairly open about these things, but as stated, there are likely some racial purity types.

Caldari:
They're a meritocracy. If you fit into the society, know your place, and have earned what you're asking to do (in this case, sleep with a caldari) then there's likely to be no problem with it, and with the need for more workers, immigration  to the state is likely encouraged.

Minmatar:
As stated, if a tribe is tied to a genetics, this would be seen as a problem. If. However, that's not to say that its not possible for a non-matari to become a part of a tribe/clan/whatever if they work hard enough to earn it.

Amarrian:
I see this as interesting. In traditional Amarrian society, except for the true amarr holders, I don't think there would really be a need to be amarrian, merely to be faithful.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2011, 08:36 »

Good points from everyone.

Let's not forget Uriam Kador slumming it with a Gallente woman. As Mukk Raker would say, "Scandal!" "Shocking!" I have a feeling his ill-timed invasion of the Federation had something to do with this. Maybe trying to save face a bit?

We've also got an Udorian as an Heir now, the first non true-amarr, I have to assume they are quickly marrying and breeding their way into better 'stock'.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2011, 08:50 »

[mod]Please don't let this thread go pear-shaped. We're keeping an eye on it, of course.[/mod]

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2011, 12:11 »

Please don't let this thread go pear-shaped. We're keeping an eye on it, of course.

See?  :D There's a very different world outside the West

I'd have to disagree with the Caldari "work over bloodline". They are a closed society. They booted out all the Gallentean expatriates regardless of whether or not they were hard workers or not, but that said, :tonyg: and :empyreanage:

There's a strong Japanese influence, and they are very adamant cultural purists. More than one source leans them towards "close to xenophobic"

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2011, 12:18 »

I'd have to disagree with the Caldari "work over bloodline". They are a closed society. They booted out all the Gallentean expatriates regardless of whether or not they were hard workers or not, but that said, :tonyg: and :empyreanage:

That does actually make sense based on the earliest PF as well. The whole Mordu debacle and the Intaki who fought for the State. They certainly displayed their loyalty, but they were heavily ostracized. Yeah, hmm.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2011, 12:22 »

[mod]Please don't let this thread go pear-shaped. We're keeping an eye on it, of course.[/mod]
See?  :D There's a very different world outside the West
[mod]I think everyone here understands that. What we want to avoid is insulting RL cultures in any way or denigrating players.[/mod]

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #13 on: 20 May 2011, 12:24 »

Are we talking about 'cultural' attitudes about interracial relationships? Because if we are, the Jin'Mei might have a different perspective than the Gallente culture, and the Intaki might as well.  You see where I'm going with this I hope...

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #14 on: 20 May 2011, 12:25 »

Are we talking about 'cultural' attitudes about interracial relationships? Because if we are, the Jin'Mei might have a different perspective than the Gallente culture, and the Intaki might as well.  You see where I'm going with this I hope...

Yes.
Pages: [1] 2 3