Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hared Loudier is a former Quafe employee who once claimed an entire stockpile of Quafe beverages vanished through a wormhole before his eyes.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: How is it possible for pod pilots to have so many ships?  (Read 6230 times)

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
Re: How is it possible for pod pilots to have so many ships?
« Reply #45 on: 15 Oct 2014, 02:24 »

PvE exists as an isk faucet so you can go do other stuff in Eve. The first time someone did a mission, sure. It happened. The second time? The however many thousandth time someone pulled that fucking damsel out of that pleasure hub and killed the exact same named NPC? Yeah, no. Dagan got blapped once and the slaughter at Blockade was a singular event as far as I'm concerned.

But Dagan is an egger. So is Bowser. Princess Peach is a bimbo and a dumb blonde stereotype with Stockholm's Syndrome.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #46 on: 15 Oct 2014, 12:16 »

How is crew deaths in spaceship violence "dramatically and over the top grimdark"? I mean, that's par the course for any sci-fi universe.

If you don't want to be killing people, or having people under your watch killed, don't engage in spaceship violence. Obvious? It's not like EVE doesn't offer options for players who don't want to engage in combat....

My problem is with articles like this: http://community.eveonline.com/news/news-channels/eve-online-news/mining-accident-in-annaro-system-traps-200-miners/

With billions of crew dying every hour, 200 people that might day in a few days isn't newsworthy.

I simply claim to fly without crew. What do I need them for anyway. I sure hope they're not manually loading my crystals.

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette
« Reply #47 on: 15 Oct 2014, 12:40 »

What is newsworthy isn't a rational thing. To use real world parallels:

33 Miners were trapped in a Chilean mine in 2010. They got massive news coverage for months.

In Afganistan, 7000 civilians were killed by one side or another in 2010. In 2010, 31,000 Americans were killed in firearms homicides and 32,000 were killed in automobile accidents. None of these got comparable news coverage in the US to the Chilean miners, yet all involved massively more death. If they did get coverage, it was almost certainly a perfunctory "Today, an airstrike in Afganistan killed 20 people... now back to those Chilean Miners!"

To go back to EVE: The way I read that trapped miner story isn't that the story worth telling was that 200 people would die, it's that they had actually survived this far. Survival in a space accident is newsworthy, death in a space accident is routine.

And with EVE tech the crew is probably not manually loading, no. But they are fixing the loading device when it gets knocked out of place. Programming the nanite goo when a repair is needed. So on and so forth. The numbers on crew are actually quite low compared to the size of the ships.

As far as I am concerned crew death is a fact of life in EVE. So when I see someone IC talking about not using crew on larger ships, what Gaven ICly hears is "So-and-so is in denial about the human cost of their activity." A few people have believably gone the rogue drone route, but only a few. 

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #48 on: 15 Oct 2014, 14:42 »

As far as I am concerned crew death is a fact of life in EVE. So when I see someone IC talking about not using crew on larger ships, what Gaven ICly hears is "So-and-so is in denial about the human cost of their activity." A few people have believably gone the rogue drone route, but only a few.

Yep, this is how I respond to it. It is the nicest way of handling it without YDIWing someone (which for something as concrete as crews, it is very difficult to not say something. But I'm getting there.)

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #49 on: 15 Oct 2014, 14:45 »

I'd rather refuse to recognize the sheer scale of ship violence going on in stupid repeatable PvE missions than consider ships to have very limited or no crews.

I just want to reiterate that I am not arguing for less crew numbers or something silly like no crews. I am merely saying that it is a part of the universe that I have difficulty with - but it ain't my universe, so I roll with it.

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #50 on: 15 Oct 2014, 15:29 »

Yep, this is how I respond to it. It is the nicest way of handling it without YDIWing someone (which for something as concrete as crews, it is very difficult to not say something. But I'm getting there.)

I prefer not to talk about it IC to avoid any of that stuff, because I know many people disagree OOC.

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #51 on: 15 Oct 2014, 18:29 »

We are the 0.0000000000000000001%
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]