Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Blood Raider elites do not generally mix with the rest of the Sani Sabik? (The Burning Life, p. 50)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: How is it possible for pod pilots to have so many ships?  (Read 6232 times)

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
Re: How is it possible for pod pilots to have so many ships?
« Reply #15 on: 17 Jul 2014, 00:14 »

Besides, Capsuleers are kind of strange birds, and obviouly, quite a few of them enjoy mining.

The ship to cityscape comparison, when you see the size of an exhumer vs, say, a highrise building, also explains why they wouldnt allow vehicles that large to be automated (again) - ie. the rogue drones issues.

Charles Cambridge Schmidt

• Professional Sperg
  • Wetgraver
  • Federalista
« Reply #16 on: 17 Jul 2014, 02:26 »

Uh-huh. Thanks. I can see it better now. The only question that's still present - it's an offtopic though - if capsuleers are such a valuable assets, why the hell send 'em to mine ore, that looks more like an AI/drone kind of job.

The mining corps have their own mining ships piloted by baseliners among things. They've complained about the sheer output of Capsuleer production before, as well. Capsuleers just do it better.
Drones are pretty cool, I guess.

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #17 on: 17 Jul 2014, 10:17 »

Uh-huh. Thanks. I can see it better now. The only question that's still present - it's an offtopic though - if capsuleers are such a valuable assets, why the hell send 'em to mine ore, that looks more like an AI/drone kind of job.

A cynical view might be that it's more profitable not to allow capsuleers to purchase from the big mining conglomerates. There's a war economy at work with capsuleers, and having capsuleers go out and mine means that those mineral sales are taxed by the SCC when they're put up on market. It also keeps capsuleers in their own little bubble of destruction and supply.

Capsuleer ships explode for the control of resources, those resources are used to create more ships (with every step being taxed) which are then blown up to control resources. When you think about it, it's a neat zero sum game where CONCORD and its signatories profit, capsuleers are isolated from their own domestic markets, and all those poor, desperate, and undesirable types get tossed into the meatgrinders.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #18 on: 09 Oct 2014, 11:23 »

Something to keep in mind is that, according to the lore, 100 ISK is the equivalent to the amount of money the average non-capsuleer would earn in their lifetime. Even the most basic missions we run usually pay upwards of 1,000 ISK, so we're really earning piles and piles of money right out from the start of the game. It's only "a little money" in terms of other capsuleers.

You missed a few zeroes. It's 10,000 ISK that was stated as the equivalent of an average family household's lifetime income. :P
NECRO ALERT - I AM NECRO'ING THIS THREAD.

Now that the disclaimer is out of the way, may I ask where this was stated?  Source or a Chronicle?  I'm not disputing it, just curious to read that and whatever other information might've been in the same article.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

purple

• Obvious Gallente Plant
  • Egger
« Reply #19 on: 09 Oct 2014, 12:39 »

The mining corps have their own mining ships piloted by baseliners among things. They've complained about the sheer output of Capsuleer production before, as well. Capsuleers just do it better.

We're meant to hand wave that space is full of baseliners doing stuff and things.    I remember reading something early eve's beginning that belts with a warp-able beacon are the ones too crappy for the empires to bother claiming/hiding for their own.     We capsuleers can mine them more efficiently and make it worth our while.

So presumably every empire system has a whole mess of mining activity hidden in something like artificial deadspace or akin to the scan inhibitors.

Really it's just too much work or too resource intensive for CCP to populate space anymore than they have with background NPC.
You are RPing wrong.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #20 on: 10 Oct 2014, 04:17 »

Something to keep in mind is that, according to the lore, 100 ISK is the equivalent to the amount of money the average non-capsuleer would earn in their lifetime. Even the most basic missions we run usually pay upwards of 1,000 ISK, so we're really earning piles and piles of money right out from the start of the game. It's only "a little money" in terms of other capsuleers.

You missed a few zeroes. It's 10,000 ISK that was stated as the equivalent of an average family household's lifetime income. :P
NECRO ALERT - I AM NECRO'ING THIS THREAD.

Now that the disclaimer is out of the way, may I ask where this was stated?  Source or a Chronicle?  I'm not disputing it, just curious to read that and whatever other information might've been in the same article.
It's come up several times on this forum. It's from an old news article from CCP/ISD about a Nyx that was destroyed, and the number was given as a way to provide a baseline comparison (hurr) for roughly how much a supercarrier is worth.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #21 on: 10 Oct 2014, 05:12 »

baseline comparison (hurr)
stahp
EDIT:  But yeah, thanks!  I'll go looking for that today

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

The Scythian

• Our Woeful Hero
  • Clonejack
« Reply #22 on: 10 Oct 2014, 05:15 »

What I find unreal is the number of crew I lose to my own dark impulses, compared to enemy fire. The life of a Capsuleer is truly one without consequences.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #23 on: 10 Oct 2014, 09:11 »

Which is why we're considered monsters and not heroes by the average person-on-the-street.  They're not nearly as cray cray as we are to think all this spaceside death is okay.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 10 Oct 2014, 15:47 »

Which is why we're considered monsters and not heroes by the average person-on-the-street.  They're not nearly as cray cray as we are to think all this spaceside death is okay.

I'm not cray cray, I'm yay yay!

I'll see myself out.

The Scythian

• Our Woeful Hero
  • Clonejack
« Reply #25 on: 10 Oct 2014, 20:15 »

I'm not sure there is an upper limit for crazy, Capsuleer or no. It may simply be said that the non-Capsuleer is not *as* capable of monstrous acts (due to mortality, fragility, finances, etc.).

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #26 on: 11 Oct 2014, 17:40 »

I'll stick my head in here real fast to note that one of thre fiction devs - I think it was Abraxas - said they are not happy with the number of crew a capsuleer kills and gets killed on a regular basis, and would like to vastly reduce it somehow.

Then that got pushed to the side and forgotten as well.  :roll:
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #27 on: 14 Oct 2014, 16:04 »

I'll stick my head in here real fast to note that one of thre fiction devs - I think it was Abraxas - said they are not happy with the number of crew a capsuleer kills and gets killed on a regular basis, and would like to vastly reduce it somehow.

I'm a well known supporter of less crew as well. To me the large amount of crew killed makes storytelling much more difficult.

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #28 on: 14 Oct 2014, 16:29 »

I like the range given on the crews page.  It allows for running with the bare minimum for those pilots who are conscientious of the death toll.

Twitter

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #29 on: 14 Oct 2014, 16:37 »

I'm honestly leaning more towards "the more crew the better". Reducing the consequences for a ship killed/lost removes more of the weight combat has in the game. If it all just comes down to isk in the end, what does any kill matter? If you got a little cleverly placed sp, you can just lock your lips around any of the game's isk faucets and suck on it until it your wallet pops. Back in action and nothing of consequence ever happened.

More crew please. More consequence. Let's lose SP no matter what ship we blow up in. Let us have to hire crew, with different skills depending on how much we pay. Another fitting slot, for crew.

Even less impact when blapping something is bad, mkay?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4