Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That high-orbit shuttle deployment is the most popular method of passenger and freight transportation from planets to space? Read more here.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Getting into the Pod  (Read 5645 times)

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
Re: Getting into the Pod
« Reply #30 on: 10 Apr 2013, 00:02 »

I'm going a lot by that vid that was posted (better version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNWWxD-q-bg ). My thoughts: you are raised into the pod, and you are automaticly connected to it as the oxygen-rich fluid flows in. Just before the liquid reaches your mouth, you're body is "put to sleep" and controlled by the pod's systems. This includes slowing down or even stopping most biological processes (like digestion). Oxygen use is also decreased by having the pod provide some of the energy required for essential processes (like brain functions), further decreasing oxygen requirements.
Actually, energy as used by body is in the form of a substance called ATP, adenosine triphosphate. It is synthethised in the muscles by "burning" sugar. The easiest way, thus, is to inject sugar, oxygen and nutrients intravenously. Possibly scrub carbon dioxide from the bloodstream to reduce the need to actually breathe. Canonically, the pod fluid is supposed to take care of infections, nutrients and oxygen, and assumably comes thru the digestive system as mostly itself. A Jove did it.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #31 on: 10 Apr 2013, 02:05 »

That video shows the inferior systems of the Gallente or the Caldari.

The Amarrians have more decorum and ritual connected to the whole deal.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Lyn Farel

« Reply #32 on: 10 Apr 2013, 03:30 »

Even with the sacred flesh taboo and all ?

Maybe they have, but I would be curious to know where somethings hints at this.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #33 on: 10 Apr 2013, 08:21 »

Even with the sacred flesh taboo and all ?

Maybe they have, but I would be curious to know where somethings hints at this.

Because of Sacred Flesh the Amarr are the ones who spearheaded cybernetic technology.  They are the ones hooking up old people to floating chairs and cyberizing half of their brains with implants to keep them alive for 600 years at a time.

As a culture they are -super- comfortable with life extending cybernetics and plugging their bodies into machinery in general.   Note they get the cool and showy metal head plates covering implants as a standard option on character creator.

+1 to Amarr ritual for pod entry though.   I have to imagine the more pious might spend some time with some standard prayers and reflections before the transition into the pod to to the Lord's work.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #34 on: 10 Apr 2013, 08:25 »

Actually what made me tend to think otherwise is that because of the sacred flesh taboo, capsuleers are considered as an abomination. Even if the Empire probably has hiw own enlisted military capsuleers, I would tend to think that everything religious is kept away from them.

Or maybe not, they could actually try to pour shitloads of holy water on their heads everytime to purify the souls... they do not have...

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #35 on: 10 Apr 2013, 08:33 »

Actually what made me tend to think otherwise is that because of the sacred flesh taboo, capsuleers are considered as an abomination. Even if the Empire probably has hiw own enlisted military capsuleers, I would tend to think that everything religious is kept away from them.

Or maybe not, they could actually try to pour shitloads of holy water on their heads everytime to purify the souls... they do not have...

I think the religious status of capsuleers/clones has been kept very nebulous for PF. 

Sacred Flesh only applies to royalty, we don't know how much of that doctrine bleeds over to non royalty?

I can't recall any PF that rules either way. 

Iwan Terpalen

« Reply #36 on: 10 Apr 2013, 08:50 »

Downtime exists for only two reasons these days: asteroid respawning, and the daily ritual exorcism of all the Amarr capsuleers to prevent devils from taking up residence in their soul-void shells.

It rarely works.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #37 on: 10 Apr 2013, 08:53 »

The taboo could be extended to Holders in general because they -technically- are in line for the Throne.

As I've stated elsewhere, though, for all practical intents and purposes most probably only need to follow it by choice, because the assassinations that would need to take place for them to even be considered "in the running" are of such a scale and level of coordination that borders on the ridiculous.

I expect Holders that do abide by it are looked upon more kindly, but I'm not sure it's a gamebreaker for those much lower on the food chain, let alone worth the time of fussing over.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #38 on: 10 Apr 2013, 09:00 »

From a sheerly political point of view, considering all the benefit the Amarr Empire get out of loyal capsuleers, I'd imagine they have come to terms with some way to make it okay. At the very least, "And God show mercy to our brother Graelyn, who has taken upon himself the mantle of sin to safeguard the faithful..."

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #39 on: 10 Apr 2013, 09:06 »

Let's also not forget Khanid II/ Jamyl being clones and although not done officially they might be subtlety pushing theological groundwork for them being a-ok.

Clone capsuleers, sure ok let's get used to it.

Clone super soldiers! Also ok, let's make em feel welcome.

Oh uh, your leaders have also been cloning themselves. See! You aren't even surprised now you are so used to the idea.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #40 on: 10 Apr 2013, 09:16 »

Let's also not forget Khanid II/ Jamyl being clones and although not done officially they might be subtlety pushing theological groundwork for them being a-ok.

Emphasis mine. Source?

AFAIK he just refused to kill himself during Shathol'syn?
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #41 on: 10 Apr 2013, 09:19 »

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Khanid_II#Current_Disposition

"Despite his advanced age, Khanid II remains in fair health and publicly appears to be relatively youthful. Though it has never been publicly acknowledged, rumors claim Khanid II has abandoned the precept of Sacred Flesh and has undergone therapeutic cloning to extend his youth. How much of this rumor is truth and how much can be attributed to the legendary longevity of the Khanid Heirs is up to debate."

If half the cluster handwaves Jamyl not being a clone I think I have to believe Khanid is.

Also this explains much of them being super best friends.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #42 on: 10 Apr 2013, 09:21 »

Also Khanid being the magnificent bastard he is, is not likely to let tradition of ANY sort stand in the way of what he wants.

Ritual Suicide? LOL no thanks losers. *steals region*

No cloning? LOl no thanks losers. *facelifts for everyone!*

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #43 on: 10 Apr 2013, 09:26 »

Aah.

Makes a bit more sense than the Futurama solution. :lol:
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:

Lyn Farel

« Reply #44 on: 10 Apr 2013, 12:20 »

I think the religious status of capsuleers/clones has been kept very nebulous for PF. 

Sacred Flesh only applies to royalty, we don't know how much of that doctrine bleeds over to non royalty?

I can't recall any PF that rules either way.

We don't know indeed. But it seems more logical to me that since it's a necessary abomination, and especially since they have no soul, they do not need religious rituals either. I would even argue that most conservatives would shun them off everything the slightest related to religion. In the eyes of God and the celestial order, they are nothing, they do not even exist. They are thus lower than the lowest classes, which are slaves.

But I am also pretty sure that a lot of the Amarrian capsuleers actually practice a lot of Faith and rituals for various reasons. Remaining close to God, forgetting their sins, or just because they do not believe in the traditionnal God Flesh. After all as you say, Jamyl & co practice cloning either, and I am pretty sure that a lot of liberals do not mind at all.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4