Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That crews from destroyed capsuleer ships make up a substantial part of Blood Raider harvests? (The Burning Life, p. 59)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Ok, so I finished TEA  (Read 7441 times)

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
Re: Ok, so I finished TEA
« Reply #30 on: 21 May 2012, 16:51 »

ANN is Milo's thing, so not sure on that front - T4 is Seismic Stan's baby, and as far as I know it's still semi-active.

ANN had some hosting issues (-IE I ran out of monies) but is now, for the most part, up and running again. The main issue is a lack of time on my part to write stuff/external interest.

I would love to hire a bunch of folks to start writing for it, but in the past, everyone I've approached has been all up for a regular column in the first mail and then I never hear from them again. This can be somewhat disheartening.

I've seen people complaining about a lack of IC news, but I lack the time to indulge them. If anyone is interested in getting the site back on track with some kind of regular release, do let me know.

Valadeus

« Reply #31 on: 21 May 2012, 17:29 »

Okay, so clearly I'm an idiot.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #32 on: 21 May 2012, 17:53 »

Well, the Elder fleet had a titan with each battlegroup, so was obviously unstoppable until :Jamyl:

The Caldari have a titan (and maybe several), the Gallente have a titan (or maybe several) if ofc we believe the cinematic of the Kador attack in Solitude, and the Amarr have at least 2 titans and Khanid has one (first PF chronicles). And if we believe videos we even see countless titans at the Jamyl coronation. Even if we do not take videos at their word, they all have titans. They do not need isogen-5 powered terran superweapons of d00m to defend themselves.

My understanding from the novel was that the CONCORD electronic system that allows them to detect wrong-doers and warp instantly to them to ruin their day was centrally controlled. Without that useful tool, the Concord ships couldn't be the overwhelming force we've come to know and love. Honest. Besides, without that sort of thing, how could we let the 4 factions fight in highsec and yet have it all stop when the patch was done?

Maybe. That still sounds a little stretched to me. A central security device ? No redundancy and copies or auxilliary centres ? -_-

Why ? O_o

Publius Valerius

« Reply #33 on: 21 May 2012, 18:23 »

I was to harsh... but I think it was because I have take the book out of my storage room :|

Somehow, I have a less tolerance about bad books (it had started some years ago). I think, it comes from the point, that I mostly dont actually finish books I dont like/enjoy. But somehow, I like the lore, so I had to force myself to read the book, and on T1 was it the same....

...so after I had the book again in my hand, after two years... had brought all this feelings of unpleasedness* up. Sorry about my harsh words.....

If I can say without behing to direct -- to much of a battleship -- it is really a bad book.

*bitterness

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #34 on: 21 May 2012, 18:49 »

The Caldari have a titan (and maybe several), the Gallente have a titan (or maybe several) if ofc we believe the cinematic of the Kador attack in Solitude, and the Amarr have at least 2 titans and Khanid has one (first PF chronicles). And if we believe videos we even see countless titans at the Jamyl coronation. Even if we do not take videos at their word, they all have titans. They do not need isogen-5 powered terran superweapons of d00m to defend themselves.

I apologise, I was taking the piss. More reasonably, The Amarr seemed to be surprised and off balance, and a smaller fleet doing things that give them strategic surprise and local superiority of numbers in a situation where people refer up the chain of command for instructions instead of reacting quickly can reasonably see a situation like that, where the Elder assault fleets can penetrate quite deeply and achieve their objectives, then pull back. I agree that in a stand up fight, the Amarr should have been able to hold their own, at least.

To be honest, I thought that was one of the least objectionable parts, once the silly set up had been done. I was more bothered by the super sekret war fleet that nobody knew existed.

Incidentally, the Dragonaurs also annoyed me. As a group of politically disaffected who went off and ran terrorist missions against the Gallente, yeah, sure, I could see them being loyal to Heth. What was less convincing was having them be experts at running corporations, doing accounting, running a professional PR campaign, technical spying, and having legions of volunteers with plastic surgery to look like Gallente so they could impersonate Gallente ground troops.

Maybe. That still sounds a little stretched to me. A central security device ? No redundancy and copies or auxilliary centres ? -_-

Agreed completely. TonyG needed certain conditions to set up the big boss fight at the end, and one of them was CONCORD not interfering. This was the scheme he came up with (instead of The Elders just War-deccing The Amarr, because that would give them 24 hours notice).

« Last Edit: 21 May 2012, 20:00 by Ulphus »
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #35 on: 21 May 2012, 19:58 »

Heh... hehehe...

You guys are having a debate about the tactical sluggishness of the Amarr - the empire described as unchanging and monolithic in just about all of Eve lore. These guys take centuries to implement change, and you're blaming them for failing to have a lightning reaction force handy on their homefront.

Keep in mind the only time the Amarr failed in their conquest orgy was when the Jovians decided to intervene and bop their noses a bit.

Not only was the thought of a Minmatar mega-fleet invading Amarr space unthinkable, it was heretical, because surely God would not permit it. They were caught pants down without a doubt./

I have had quite a bit to drink so this may not make sense!

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #36 on: 21 May 2012, 21:56 »

Heh... hehehe...

You guys are having a debate about the tactical sluggishness of the Amarr - the empire described as unchanging and monolithic in just about all of Eve lore. These guys take centuries to implement change, and you're blaming them for failing to have a lightning reaction force handy on their homefront.

Keep in mind the only time the Amarr failed in their conquest orgy was when the Jovians decided to intervene and bop their noses a bit.

Not only was the thought of a Minmatar mega-fleet invading Amarr space unthinkable, it was heretical, because surely God would not permit it. They were caught pants down without a doubt./

I have had quite a bit to drink so this may not make sense!

For having a bit to drink, you managed to miss most of your fingers and the hammer at least hit the nail.

Random Sentience

« Reply #37 on: 21 May 2012, 23:17 »

I liked the novels as cheap, entertaining fluffy sci-fi.

As EVE novels? Eh... kind of a slap in the face of logic (and science), and it tries too hard to be "epic". More research, less IP development, and they could have been epic. If you're going to write a novel that touches upon technological singularity and how time dilation works in a virtual environment, it's best to actually research what kind of impact that would have on both society and the individual. There's much more that could have been done; without zombie-queens, mind-reading and Gilbert Gosseyn-esque super villains. TBL was a step in the right direction with the wrong author and the same "must have every faction in the novel" syndrome.

Hopefully someone at CCP understands what I'm talking about. If not, all is lost. I weep for the future. Because it's actually easier to develop storyline and interactivity going for a KISS approach.  :|

:psyccp:

Oh, and down with Matrix references (especially without the originality to rename them).

Other than those concerns, wonderful books! I recommend them!  :D

Lyn Farel

« Reply #38 on: 22 May 2012, 04:39 »

Matrix references ?

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #39 on: 22 May 2012, 14:33 »

the Elders said that the republic-resident Minmatar (which includes all player characters), no longer matter.

They have their "bloodlines of the seven tribes" and will "make the Minmatar whole again" in their "Sanctuaries".

Everyone else, their job now, is to be a speedbump/meatshield/diversion. They Don't Matter. Including the 1/3rd of Minmatar that are still enslaved. They Are No Longer Important.
\o/

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #40 on: 22 May 2012, 16:25 »

the Elders said that the republic-resident Minmatar (which includes all player characters), no longer matter.

They have their "bloodlines of the seven tribes" and will "make the Minmatar whole again" in their "Sanctuaries".

Everyone else, their job now, is to be a speedbump/meatshield/diversion. They Don't Matter. Including the 1/3rd of Minmatar that are still enslaved. They Are No Longer Important.

They did? Now I'm going to have to go back and re-read the last chapter or two.

Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #41 on: 23 May 2012, 03:09 »

I think that might all be uber secret stuff from Templar One. Wouldn't surprise me though.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Malcolm Khross

« Reply #42 on: 23 May 2012, 05:33 »

I might have to make it a project of mine to subject myself to reading all of the books and compiling a lore timeline and summary for RPers to use, one that I could post here and we can all work on organizing and filling out.

Basically, it would have three sections (all on a timeline): Public Knowledge (this is knowledge known IC by most capsuleers), Faction Knowledge (this would be knowledge known by faction loyal capsuleers but not necessarily outsiders) and Hidden Knowledge (stuff that nobody knows IC, OOC flavor stuff). What do you guys think?

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #43 on: 23 May 2012, 06:58 »

I think you will sadly end up with the majority of the key information being in the Hidden Knowledge pool. If you then try to extrapolate from the two other pools to "reveal" the Hidden Knowledge you will realize that the "truth" (as described in the Hidden Knowledge) often is the very least probable explanation given the known evidence.

If you then try to present the most probable explanation in an IC context you will quickly be dismissed by people fully aware of the Hidden Knowledge. Maybe even get a link to an OOC context to "help" you out. :ugh:
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #44 on: 23 May 2012, 10:53 »

I think that might all be uber secret stuff from Templar One. Wouldn't surprise me though.

it is expanded upon in Templar One, yes.

However, it is first mentioned, in a few lines near the end of chapter 15.

the Elders say: "The Starkmanir bloodline will be restored, the Nefantar realigned, and here in the Sanctuaries, Minmatar will be made whole once again"
"but what of those who live in the Republic?" asks Keitan Yun
The Elders blah about "your government has failed", and that "but we will do one thing for the republic".
Which was to wipe out elements of the government that the Elders claim were "Amarrian influenced".
Cynics might ask "Amarr influenced? Or just not pro-Elder, hmm?"

The whole empyrean war, bringing death to millions of Republic citizens, is simply an acceptable consequence, for the Elder Fleet's snatch raid to get some Nefantar and some Starkmanir bloodlines. For their breeding projects.
\o/
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5