Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The 'Crystal Boulevard' of Caille is both a high end shopping center and a vast shield of manufactured diamond for bunkers underneath?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Is it just me...  (Read 10221 times)

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
Re: Is it just me...
« Reply #15 on: 15 May 2012, 11:34 »

The problem is... only a very deluded Amarrian would be behind the Empress.

Even a blind man would see with his arsehole that things are not kosher with her.

"Thats what Faith is for. Put your faith in God, and not in your flawed reason"

TonyG has as much power over your character as you give him, IMHO.
« Last Edit: 15 May 2012, 11:36 by Gottii »
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 15 May 2012, 12:20 »

Nah, the problem with TEA was that it put CCPs development strategy into the storyline side of things.

The game itself has pretty much been developed on the basis that you get the bigger, better and faster thing in the next expansion instead of fixing the old things or giving the things promised before.

Basically (now I have the term in my head from the other thread) by jumping the shark, with every expansion.

Most of the new ships that has been introduced has been bigger, better and faster versions of old ships, but the ships that have really changed the game has been the ones that have been created for a purpose.

Interceptor, Stealth ships, Interdictor.

Most of the other content has been just about making things bigger, better and faster.

Then CCP did it to the storyline.

They made it bigger, better and faster. (But it was still static.)

Which, I think, woke a lot of people up.

Especially roleplayers, who voted with their wallets and went elsewhere.

Because they can get a reliable storyline that they can work with anywhere, without the shitty gameplay.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #17 on: 15 May 2012, 12:28 »

Because they can get a reliable storyline that they can work with anywhere, without the shitty gameplay.

By reading books? :P

In all seriousness, I do wonder where people are getting their fix these days. I see so little that grabs my attention, personally: shitty gameplay as far as the eye can see.
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #18 on: 15 May 2012, 12:34 »

PVP it will be all about Mechwarrrior this summer. Eve-style rediculously complicated fittings, and 12 v 12 tactical gameplay, with player-created merc corps.

RP.... I wonder if secret world will get traction or not. I know Revan has been heavily involved since beta so I might ping her and ask.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #19 on: 15 May 2012, 12:48 »

Incidently, this is one of the reasons I enjoy immersionist RP.  I RP every day, when I pretty much do anything for the corp.  Helps get my RP fix, not reliant on events/parties/drama/hugglefucking.  Im appreciative of EM for that every day.

I have to admit that I have difficulties to see what is the difference with what you call immersionist RP. I still see you sometimes on the OOC channel. Or maybe I, too, am an immersionist RPer... But I think what helps you to get your RP fix are your RP buddies.

Right now, an Amarr player would need to play a conservative Amarr in order to build on the tension of the Minmatar/Amarr conflict. Unfortunately for me, I have no desire to play a conservative Amarr.

I disagree. Old KotMC were a perfect example of how liberals can oppose to the Minmatar, Nico does it quite well on the IGS too (and she could even take the arms against them like she did before). It is not because you play an amarr liberal that your character hugs every minmatar passing by.

I'd agree with Gottii (God help me) -- a conservative Amarrian who is fully behind the Empress, Reclamation, the Scriptures, etc. etc. etc., without particularly wanting any change in the Empire as it stands beyond bringing those annoying little heathens and heretics back in line, one way or the other, would be really nice to see.

One that's a pretty normal guy, mind. Not all "I r sinister" or "BEHOLD GOD'S WRATH"; just a pretty typical Amarrian who's fully on board with the Empire.

Like PIE ?

Nah, the problem with TEA was that it put CCPs development strategy into the storyline side of things.

The game itself has pretty much been developed on the basis that you get the bigger, better and faster thing in the next expansion instead of fixing the old things or giving the things promised before.

Basically (now I have the term in my head from the other thread) by jumping the shark, with every expansion.

Most of the new ships that has been introduced has been bigger, better and faster versions of old ships, but the ships that have really changed the game has been the ones that have been created for a purpose.

Interceptor, Stealth ships, Interdictor.

Most of the other content has been just about making things bigger, better and faster.

Then CCP did it to the storyline.

They made it bigger, better and faster. (But it was still static.)

Which, I think, woke a lot of people up.

Oh yes... Definitly. -_-

I have been telling that to poeple for ages (at least the bit on bigger versions of ships), but people just look at me like if I was an alien.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 15 May 2012, 13:06 »

Wan, I think lot of roleplayers have gone old school after being disillusioned by the internet RP scene.

Back to the Pen and Paper, real human interaction and all that it entails.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #21 on: 15 May 2012, 13:14 »

Honestly, if I gave up Gottii/LUTI tomorrow, I would so play a conservative Amarrian character. One who believes in slavery and the scriptures, thinks the rest of the world is dark and uncivilized, and puts his faith in Empire and Empress. 

I knew I liked you for a reason, Gottii :)
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #22 on: 15 May 2012, 14:21 »

I'd agree with Gottii (God help me) -- a conservative Amarrian who is fully behind the Empress, Reclamation, the Scriptures, etc. etc. etc., without particularly wanting any change in the Empire as it stands beyond bringing those annoying little heathens and heretics back in line, one way or the other, would be really nice to see.

One that's a pretty normal guy, mind. Not all "I r sinister" or "BEHOLD GOD'S WRATH"; just a pretty typical Amarrian who's fully on board with the Empire.

Like PIE ?

Do PIE still RP? I talked to one ex member who said they stopped RPing at all, which is why that person left.

Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #23 on: 15 May 2012, 15:08 »

People rag on the whole "hugglefuck" sort of character personality, but when the general population is so low, and the opportunities are scarce, there's not that much in the way you can do if you want a character that can get social interaction that isn't a bunch of old farts sitting in in cushy chairs by a fireplace sipping whisky going /sip /monocle "pip pip cheerio" all night. The only group that seems large enough to get by without needing to resort to it (as far as I can tell, and please correct me if I'm wrong) are the Matari RPers - particularly those in groups like EM that are large enough to have internal RP networks without needing to go outside of the alliance to get plenty of varied RP.

I feel like sometimes I have to retreat to alliance to get RP because almost all the public RP I'm seeing is "hugglefuck" RP. If I want to go to a bar that doesn't have Amarrian slavers, Angel Pirates/Slavers, Sansha proponents or people the republic is at war with, then is there anything out there that isn't internal to EM?

I went to a Gallente "political rally" once, and half the guests were from the Angel Cartel; Last time I visited TLG there were a bunch of toasters (Hi Kyber) having a party; Either I stop caring who my character associates with, or I don't go out much.

So being "inclusive" drives away some of the people trying to play their characters as not "hugglefuckers". I imagine there's some people playing harder-line Amarrian characters who feel pretty similar.

Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #24 on: 15 May 2012, 15:16 »

I've discussed that pretty heavily with various people over MSN recently.

I'm inclined to say that the biggest part of it is that the RP community doesn't have the critical mass to sustain the inclusive "interact with all the people" types and the "whoah, hang on, we're at war with those people for finding their ideologies abhorrent, I'll sit out" types in a setting that isn't completely internalised.

It's a shame, since I quite like seeing that latter trope in action, but my (admittedly, currently outsider's) perspective is that hyper-inclusive types are extremely obvious publically, with those less so relegated to internal media that, without all too many people about at the moment, tend to stay internal rather than mixing with other, allied, RP groups.

Mind you, that could be entirely off the mark; I'm taking what I've seen and heard and trying to assemble it into something that makes sense.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #25 on: 15 May 2012, 15:19 »

You have it right

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #26 on: 15 May 2012, 15:24 »

So being "inclusive" drives away some of the people trying to play their characters as not "hugglefuckers". I imagine there's some people playing harder-line Amarrian characters who feel pretty similar.

You can be inclusive and still not be a "hugglefucker", you just have to maintain a suitable amount of coldness/hostillity towards certain individuals. Mitara, for example, is on the Summit and speaks regulalry, but her attitude is pretty much 'fuck off' to anyone she would not like. Some nice conflict in public RP is still allowed, so long as you do not mercilessly troll people.

I, for one, fully intend on not being a "hugglefucker". There are still plenty of people to RP with without having to really compromise your character's beliefs, depending on what those beliefs are.

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #27 on: 15 May 2012, 16:03 »

I don't RP Mammal as much these days, both because of the kind of character he is and there doesn't seem to be much out there. I occasionally chat in the Gallente Lounge or Free Intaki channels, but I stay away from the IGS with Mammal.

If I can't find RP with one character, I just try another.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #28 on: 15 May 2012, 16:20 »

By reading books? :P

In all seriousness, I do wonder where people are getting their fix these days. I see so little that grabs my attention, personally: shitty gameplay as far as the eye can see.

For PvP, what Silas said. For RP, I'm back to the world of MU*ing myself.

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #29 on: 15 May 2012, 16:38 »

So, MUDs and PnP? That says much about the success of the RPG part in the MMORPG acronym. :) Still, it is generally just MMO these days, isn't it? I wonder how we'll look back on the MMO bubble.

It's more than twenty years since I played a pen and paper game. After waxing nostalgic over Call of Cthulhu, I received a copy of the rulebook as a gift a couple of Christmases ago. That hasn't actually resulted in a game being played, but at least it's an enjoyable read in its own right.

Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6