Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Silphy enDiabel of the Syndicate used to be one of the Sisters of EVE? For more, read here.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: EVElopedia, IGS and the Amarr  (Read 6301 times)

Bastian Valoron

• Egger
Re: EVElopedia, IGS and the Amarr
« Reply #45 on: 18 May 2012, 07:47 »

It just doesn't make sense for Concord and ISK to exist in a pure vacuum. There has to be an exchange to baseliner (or at least government) currency.

I'm not sure what I'm arguing anymore, does that make sense? bloody workday has scrambled mah brains.
It makes sense. Mission agents and CONCORD most likely hand out their employers money which must come from the planet side because the NPC sell orders, repair bills, clone installation costs and other station services are not enough to fund it and the lore tells us that that's where Quafe and others do most of their business. Also, ships would not have crews if there were no links between baseliner and capsuleer economies.

Since the money flow from planet side seems to be sustainable, and it flows primarily to one direction only, I guess it is possible that somebody might print currency to pay capsuleers, as this practice wouldn't have effect on the baseliner economy. Still, why would Zoar & Sons, Egonics or Native Freshfood have the right to do so? Money loses its meaning if everyone can print it as needed.

What if the capsuleers are actually not that rich when compared to the baseliners? Perhaps the local currency/ISK exchange ratio is not favourable for the capsuleers and our rewards are actually a small and insignificant cost for our benefactors? Maybe the economies are kept separated so that we can sustain ourselves while being cheap labor for the empires? I know that EVE's intro video says "You are about to become blah blah" but that's exactly what you would say to motivate someone to make the biggest mistake of his/her life.
« Last Edit: 18 May 2012, 07:49 by Bastian Valoron »

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #46 on: 18 May 2012, 08:28 »

What if the capsuleers are actually not that rich when compared to the baseliners? Perhaps the local currency/ISK exchange ratio is not favourable for the capsuleers and our rewards are actually a small and insignificant cost for our benefactors? Maybe the economies are kept separated so that we can sustain ourselves while being cheap labor for the empires? I know that EVE's intro video says "You are about to become blah blah" but that's exactly what you would say to motivate someone to make the biggest mistake of his/her life.

CCP has established at least once that 10,000 ISK is roughly equivalent to an average planetside household's average annual income. Obviously, there will be people on the edges of the bell-curve for which that is a pittance, and others a pipe dream, but it gives a pretty good indication of why there might be so many people willing to crew starships.

I mean, I blow up a single NPC destroyer and I make a little under 10k from that one rat alone. Given the average mission runner's income - or even a pirate's, assuming they get reasonable loot drops - there's a lot of money involved here from a planetside perspective.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #47 on: 18 May 2012, 09:43 »

CCP has established at least once that 10,000 ISK is roughly equivalent to an average planetside household's average annual income. Obviously, there will be people on the edges of the bell-curve for which that is a pittance, and others a pipe dream, but it gives a pretty good indication of why there might be so many people willing to crew starships.

I mean, I blow up a single NPC destroyer and I make a little under 10k from that one rat alone. Given the average mission runner's income - or even a pirate's, assuming they get reasonable loot drops - there's a lot of money involved here from a planetside perspective.

Link?

Bastian Valoron

• Egger
« Reply #48 on: 18 May 2012, 10:33 »

The link is here. However, it doesn't really counter my argument. In free-ish economy, like what we have in New Eden, the income distribution should look like the following graph (forget the units):

If the average household income comes from the flat part of the curve, the pod captain income can still be low when compared to the income of the benefactors of the capsuleers on the right hand side.
« Last Edit: 18 May 2012, 10:45 by Bastian Valoron »

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #49 on: 18 May 2012, 10:43 »

Bastian got to it before me - apparently it's not a yearly thing, though recall it being so at some point. I'll keep looking.

Found another relevant news article here though.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #50 on: 18 May 2012, 10:59 »

Quote from: CCP
To put this in perspective, an average family living on a planet might, in the course of a lifetime, accrue savings of about 10,000 isk.

Quote from: Morlag
CCP has established at least once that 10,000 ISK is roughly equivalent to an average planetside household's average annual income.

That's the discrepancy I was confused about. I was pretty sure ISK was worth more than what you suggested, which is why I wanted a link.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]