Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That PIE has been at war with enemies of the empire ever since its foundation?

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Shooting other Roleplayers  (Read 8179 times)

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
Re: Shooting other Roleplayers
« Reply #15 on: 26 Oct 2010, 09:08 »

For me, the satisfaction in killing someone in the game is not related to RP status of the opponent, but my history with them. I will enjoy killing Rodj Blake over killing a random pirate, sure, but then again I do enjoy killing a totally non-RPer pirate with a long history with EM more than killing a random PIE rookie. This is nice, because that's what Else would feel too, so I do not have to remember the character would feel differently while in a PVP high. ;)

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #16 on: 26 Oct 2010, 11:45 »

John I feel your pain really but you still owe me a carrier don't you? ^^

Yes, a "free" carrier that was supposed to be funded by the 15 Billion in Capital parts that we gave to CVA. You can understand why we did not give away free capitals after that right?.. or not either way back to thread.

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #17 on: 26 Oct 2010, 12:45 »

I'm not sure if you mean I-RED or the ILF, I have a character in both.

Also I don't really know what NCBFF or ProviBlob mean. I presume that the second has something to do with Providence.

So, yeah.

NCBFF=NC=northern napfest.  Last I saw I-RED they were out in Pure Blind blue to half of EVE (barring last night).  ILF I have little to no experience with that I'm aware of.

Proviblob=CVA's Providence napfest.  Shot at I-RED during the fall of Provi in Jan/Feb a bit while they were living in Providence.

Similarly, the Amarrians obviously were part of Proviblob, for a while EM was part of the FDN umbrella of blues in GW, CAIN was/is in the NC, etc.  Not that there's anything wrong with it per se, just that it makes fighting them impractical or impossible.

*rolleyes*

If your enemies refuse to leave their ass hanging in the breeze for you to come along and kick without fear of consequences, its a "napfest".  If it is your own corporation keeping enough friends on hand to make sure others think twice before screwing with you, it's "intelligently planned diplomacy".

This whole post (and the latter part of the one before) just comes across as an opportunistic jab.

I don't even really see napfest as a derogatory term anymore, it just is.  Incidentally, Rote Kapelle has no strategic blues.  So I'm not pot and kettling here.

I'm also highly amused at you referencing "CVA vs UK+SF" and completely leaving out the involvement of AAA/Atlas/other southern entities.

When you have no idea what you're talking about, you should probably not open your mouth.

http://www.jericho-fraction.net/killboard/?a=kill_related&kll_id=4045

Kindly indicate to me which of those pilots are AAA and/or Atlas and/or other southern entities.  Unless you're counting PIE, whom I forgot to mention in my initial recollection of the fight in question.

P.S. The proper solution, besides complaining about it, would be to make more friends than they do.

In the future, can we keep RP discussion about RP and leave the OOC propaganda war nonsense for CAOD?

Touchy much?  Is it incorrect that CAIN is in OWN alliance which is blue to most of the north?  Is it incorrect that I-RED is in a similar situation?  Is it incorrect that CVA was blue to all of Providence?  No, none of those are incorrect nor are they propaganda.  They are fact.  

EDIT:  It apparently is currently incorrect to say that about I-RED.  My apologies to I-RED.  Assumption and all of that.

As for your "proper solution", sorry, but not everyone in EVE wants to have 400 vs 400 blobfest fights.  They're simply not fun.  Does that make it wrong that some people do?  No, not in the least.  Does it mean that anyone who wants to take a potshot at Ladel Teravada should blue up three regions of EVE in order to do so?  No, it doesn't.

I do warmly remember the real grudge fights we had with PIE/CVA that bacc mentioned. That battleship showdown in Amarr during the Emperor's wake or something that was basically 40-50 a side just standing there slugging it out until we broke the node and Amarr System lagged out was epic entertainment and nobody wanted to quit the field.

That said you can sometimes get a nice feeling of rp-style grudge fighting with non RP'ers.

Indeed, this was the fight I was thinking of and have linked above.  It was the sort of toe-to-toe slugfest with roughly even numbers and strength that you simply do not see much, and I tend to think this is somewhat unique to RP in the sense that both sides knew ahead of time what was coming and didn't hide and wait for more backup, they both threw off their gloves and charged in.  You simply don't see much of that, and I attribute it in large part to the pride/RP part of things.  Your average group in EVE will not ever do that--they see roughly even numbers and wait for more backup, whether or not they'll admit it afterwards.  

And that was sort of my point.  RPers often throw caution and/or tactics to the wind and decide to just charge into the fray for the glory of it, and these end in some of the most memorable fights I've been a part of.
« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2010, 12:47 by Bacchanalian »

Isobel Mitar

• Egger
« Reply #18 on: 26 Oct 2010, 13:22 »

What I would ask is, do the  kills on RPers that you might get 'count' more for you, OOC?

For me, there is not much difference, and I try to keep it that way. My character does not know the opponents are roleplayer characters. :P

If there was a RP group that could be equally likely an ally or an enemy, I'd perhaps prefer to see them as allies rather than enemies simply because to me it seems RP allies give potentially more opportunities for varied IC interaction than either non-RP allies or RP enemies.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #19 on: 26 Oct 2010, 13:24 »

[mod]No jabs at each other, please. Don't want to have to start cutting things out of a potentially great topic.[/mod]

My opinions, in the spacenun wars, so far, people have been willing to engage at 1v1, 1vs2 or 2vs3. In ships which may be outmatched, given character ages.

Which is fun.
\o/

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #20 on: 26 Oct 2010, 13:57 »

I shoot what ever the FC says I shoot, incidentally if I'm the FC everything that's not blue is under the gun. I take my jollies out of popping RPers and non-RPers alike. However some personalities will produce a more profound glee than others.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #21 on: 26 Oct 2010, 14:25 »

What I would ask is, do the  kills on RPers that you might get 'count' more for you, OOC?

For me, there is not much difference, and I try to keep it that way. My character does not know the opponents are roleplayer characters. :P

If there was a RP group that could be equally likely an ally or an enemy, I'd perhaps prefer to see them as allies rather than enemies simply because to me it seems RP allies give potentially more opportunities for varied IC interaction than either non-RP allies or RP enemies.

basically this, although I do grin a bit when certain people come under my guns, although thats less that they're RPers, and more that I don't like them.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Goshien

• Wetgraver
« Reply #22 on: 26 Oct 2010, 15:04 »

I don't really find the shooting of RPer's more interesting then otherwise. The aftermath on the other hand, is entertaining. For instance, I didn't even know I had blown up Seri at a battle against Sansha in Tama, I merely saw an injured ishkur to finish off. The most information I have before a battle is over is usually what ship they were in and whether they have mates.

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #23 on: 26 Oct 2010, 15:21 »

I find fighting people I have a history with intensely more satisfying that shooting at some unknown random blip.

I tend to have more histories with RP-ers than with non-RPers, hence shooting RP-ers tends to be more satisfying in general, but sometimes you can build some sort of IC history with non-RPers too.

Had great fun with the 'Morel Nova' arc (incidentally the guy that lost the Utu). Way back I shot his AF out from under him in my Crusader while on PIE anti-pirate patrol while he was surrounded by his buddies. Apparently that was the first time he lost a ship to PvP in EVE, and had been training himself for a rematch for some time. Shot him down much later a few times more before he finally took me down in a Taranis. Great fun.

And there is this long-standing string of duels with RP-er Alica Wildfire, who is still looking to destroy me in a straight interceptor one-on-one.

A visit to Y-SWO a week ago and nearly taking down an SF Dramiel was fun too. If it would have been an random unknown, I might problably not even engaged.

No, I like fights with a history, and I tend to have more history with RP-ers.

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #24 on: 26 Oct 2010, 18:53 »

Pretty much what Merdaneth said.  I can remember running into Ladel Teravada in an FW plex a while back (scanned him there).  I was in a nano Curse, he was in an Ishtar.  Suicidal for me to engage, but I decided "why not".  Of course, his sentries were OWOWOWOWOWOWOW and I had to bail out rather quickly, but I'd never have even taken the chance if it wasn't Ladel. 

There's something to be said for shooting people with which you have any sort of history, and for those of us with RP backgrounds, we tend to have history with RPers.

Shalee Lianne

• Wetgraver
« Reply #25 on: 26 Oct 2010, 21:33 »

I think it is much more interesting to shoot rpers.  A while back, Shalee had met Gotti at the Gate then ran across him out in the warzone, where he ended up shooting her down with the Minmatar blob.
After that, Shalee had kill rights so it was always fun to look for him.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #26 on: 26 Oct 2010, 22:59 »

FYI
Touchy much?  Is it incorrect that CAIN is in OWN alliance which is blue to most of the north?  ... No, none of those are incorrect nor are they propaganda.  They are fact.
CAIN left OWN about 6 to 7 days ago.  So at the time of your posting it was incorrect and not fact.

I am only aware of the change, no idea why the change occurred, or CAIN's current corp level diplomacy.

Kazzzi

• Egger
« Reply #27 on: 26 Oct 2010, 23:17 »

RPers often throw caution and/or tactics to the wind and decide to just charge into the fray for the glory of it, and these end in some of the most memorable fights I've been a part of.

This ^

Plus, who doesn't wanna kill RP enemies? It gives you a purpose.

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
« Reply #28 on: 27 Oct 2010, 02:33 »

Plus, who doesn't wanna kill RP enemies? It gives you a purpose.
True. But so does killing non-RP enemies, I think? (That is, assuming you have an IC reason for killing them - but for me that is a moot point, because I never kill anyone in the game I do not have an RP reason to.)

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #29 on: 27 Oct 2010, 07:19 »

Fighting against RP enemies has the advantage that it means something to both sides.

Often, when fighting against random pirates/0.0 types/enemy militia, I get the impression that the other side sees PIE ships as just another target, indistinguishable from all their other enemies.

But when RPers fight each other, both sides have an actual purpose to fight on top of fun pew-pew.
Pages: 1 [2] 3