Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Intaki Assembly responded directly to Julianus Soter's and other's request for information regarding Ishukone and Mordus Legion around Intaki Prime? For more, read here

Author Topic: Re: Your opinions on the appropriateness of this gesture, please.  (Read 1066 times)

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums

How is banning someone from an IC channel all of a sudden an OOC action?  :|

Some of us like to lurk. That said, it's an IC channel, and if they've been banned from showing up IC, I don't see a problem with removing them from the channel, even if they're not the kind of fools to show up anyways.

Well that depends entirely on how people perceive how channels work. I for one only join channels when Laerise would be present there, actively or passively.

Anyways, if you feel so offended about being banned from IC channels for IC reasons I would like to referr you to this very entertaining youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cycXuYzmzNg&feature=related

Edit: If you do contract leprosy the day after you were banned from a PIE channel please do feel free to send me a pm about it, maybe then we can change the rules.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type

How is banning someone from an IC channel all of a sudden an OOC action?  :|

Some of us like to lurk. That said, it's an IC channel, and if they've been banned from showing up IC, I don't see a problem with removing them from the channel, even if they're not the kind of fools to show up anyways.

Well that depends entirely on how people perceive how channels work. I for one only join channels when Laerise would be present there, actively or passively.

Anyways, if you feel so offended about being banned from IC channels for IC reasons I would like to referr you to this very entertaining youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cycXuYzmzNg&feature=related

Edit: If you do contract leprosy the day after you were banned from a PIE channel please do feel free to send me a pm about it, maybe then we can change the rules.

Tell ya what, champ, if you can avoid a second juvenile response via youtube link, I'll try my hand at explaining why a ban is an OOC action.

If character A runs into character B's bar, proclaims via emote that he's shot the establishment of said bar in the head, killed character B's family, subsequently murdered B and that no one attended B's funeral, you MIGHT consider banning that person. Again, just an example, lets say its happened more than once.

It's disruptive. However, you obviously can't say "that's disruptive" in character. A just killed B, according to A. So either, you can dispute reality via your character's perspective, OR, you can do the only sensible thing and approach it from an OOC point of view; ban A because he's done [x disruptive things that no one likes].

So yes. B didn't ban A for his character, A was banned for purely OOC reasons.

THAT is how a ban is supposed to work. If character A is a loyalist of a nation B doesn't like, or the two are currently at war, you can say "get the fuck out of our bar." If A refuses, you can either continue the argument, or deem the repeated attempts of A to infiltrate your IC channel as "disruptive." Again, you can't claim your character used his hadouken powers to permanently remove A from space/time in the area of your bar. You, as a player, have decided the person has been disruptive.

So, back to my original points. Bans are OOC behavior. Therefore, if you ban someone simply for being loyal to [x in-game faction], you've made an OOC affront against that person, and expressed a personal distaste for their RP of choice.

Again, you CAN do that. You're just a tool if you do.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.

[mod]Unconstructive personal attacks.[/mod]