Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Hak'len (AKA Kresh liquor) is toxic to non-Caldari?

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Worst news of today.  (Read 6182 times)

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
Re: Worst news of today.
« Reply #15 on: 29 Mar 2012, 12:20 »

They've reviewed and refocused their approach to EVE's world-and-story (they said "IP", which initially confused me), and are pretty happy with the result of that.

They're (my summary) desperately understaffed, so will have to prioritise heavily.

The basic approach to delivery is what Torfi Frans has labelled the "gush": a gush of info at an expansion release, with trickles betweentimes.

And I liked this:
Vision: Core themes

•Primary theme: Progress and the human condition
–How do technology and immortality affect human nature?

•Secondary themes:
–Is morality subjective? Are there any moral absolutes?
–How do new tech and immortality affect ...
•Faith?
•Social order?
•Morality?
•Happiness? 

They mentioned that some people might want to make one-to-one mappings between the last four bullets and the different EVE empires, but that that wasn't their intention. They seemed to be looking forward to cross-developing the themes.

For me, those themes were echoed in each of the three games discussed at Fanfest: EVE, DUST514 and World of Darkness. That's led to quite some discussions about whether they're "just" ICerizing aspects of gameplay (respawn), or whether there's something deeper to this preoccupation. It's stuff I find fascinating to explore in RP, but which I don't often get the chance to delve into.

Publius Valerius

« Reply #16 on: 29 Mar 2012, 14:26 »

They've reviewed and refocused their approach to EVE's world-and-story (they said "IP", which initially confused me), and are pretty happy with the result of that.

They're (my summary) desperately understaffed, so will have to prioritise heavily.

The basic approach to delivery is what Torfi Frans has labelled the "gush": a gush of info at an expansion release, with trickles betweentimes.

And I liked this:
Vision: Core themes

•Secondary themes:
–Is morality subjective? Are there any moral absolutes?
–How do new tech and immortality affect ...
•Faith?
•Social order?
•Morality?
•Happiness?

They mentioned that some people might want to make one-to-one mappings between the last four bullets and the different EVE empires, but that that wasn't their intention. They seemed to be looking forward to cross-developing the themes.

For me, those themes were echoed in each of the three games discussed at Fanfest: EVE, DUST514 and World of Darkness. That's led to quite some discussions about whether they're "just" ICerizing aspects of gameplay (respawn), or whether there's something deeper to this preoccupation. It's stuff I find fascinating to explore in RP, but which I don't often get the chance to delve into.

First of all: Thanks for the fast answer.

Sound interesting... and we can add a fiction universe inside a fiction universe... a.k.a. transcranial microcontrollers. :lol: ... Maybe they have a vid.... if you have your slide-show up, please left a note here... I think It would be interesting for many others.

Fly save.

-PV

« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2012, 15:39 by Publius Valerius »

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #17 on: 29 Mar 2012, 15:08 »

Getting back to the original topic...

Given why Dropbear left I don't think it's fair to act like CCP threw him overboard. They certainly could have made things more easy for him to stay, but I don't think they aimed to force him out.

Naturally I'm still sad to see him go, as Dropbear was one of the people I felt cared for the feasibility and logic of the universe as well as the story.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #18 on: 29 Mar 2012, 17:37 »

Dev said "no, really apart from that one time, players could affect the story"

Heh.

Noooo.
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2012, 17:41 by Graelyn »

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #19 on: 30 Mar 2012, 00:35 »

Dev said "no, really apart from that one time, players could affect the story"

Heh.

Noooo.

I was thinking of you at the time Graelyn...
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #20 on: 30 Mar 2012, 02:29 »

Appreciated.  ;)

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #21 on: 30 Mar 2012, 05:02 »

TBH I'd much rather have in-game events where we can't affect the outcome than either out-of-game commentaries that we can't affect or no story development at all.

Ursa Dropsus

• Clonejack
« Reply #22 on: 30 Mar 2012, 07:58 »

Cheers guys, it's always nice to be missed.

Just to confirm Esna's comments, I was definitely not thrown overboard. Truth be told, I needed a break because I wasn't giving things the effort I should've. I'd go into it, but hopefully it's enough just to say that the Arek'Jaalan project slid into lethargy almost entirely because of my own failings. While it's also true that certain things frustrated me at CCP, overwhelmingly I just needed the break.

Anyways, I've no idea if I'll be back, or even play EVE again. It's a bit hard for me to consider right now. Who knows though, right?

I wanted to come here and say that I feel, despite my absence (and the risk it puts the A'J event in) you guys are still in solid hands. Gnauton and Abraxas are two consistently solid dudes, and they have all my love and respect. Delegate Zero is basically a much smarter copy of me with all the bad bits removed, so he's even more solid than I, and once CCP lets him flex a bit more on the storyline (he actually works in webcell so it's a bit removed from him, technically, but he "gets" EVE and it's lore like few others do) I think he'll produce shit ten times cooler than I could imagine. Also, as I was on the way out, events were broadening in the company to include more people than just myself and Headfirst too, and I'm glad to see that wasn't just a flash in the pan and that other devs are actually stepping in, like Affinity and Co. (like 'Brax and Gnauton, she's also good people, so be nice to her  :P).

Storyline-wise, all of us who gave a damn about it really felt that despite the layoffs and everything else we were actually positioned to do more than ever before, so take my leaving as a case of really fucked up timing, not as any kind of indicator.  Most of the guys I worked closely with were like "Dude, you're leaving NOW?!".  :P

Regarding AJ, maybe they won't go full retard like I did (and that's probably a good thing), but I think they'll put on a solid show all the same. And if they decide to leave A'J aside and start fresh, don't be mad at them. Place all the blame for any hanging threads and unresolved mysteries and any other A'J related problems on this burned out bear's head. I'm just sorry I couldn't wrap things up better. I honestly didn't have the heart to log in and say Tukoss' goodbyes, let alone carry the day-to-day like I should've been. 

Anyways, I imagine to them the whole AJ thing is a burden they're not sure if they want to carry. They're in the shitty situation of being unable to say "Look, this was Dropbear's baby and it's all a bit fucking complex and in-depth and we don't know if he should even have started something like this in the first place."

Try to understand that situation, especially if they do decide to go with a clean slate. That's all I can ask. From where I sit, I left them with a big pile of responsibility, and they're the ones who'll take some of the heat if things fall through. I wouldn't want that for them, or events in general.

Oh, yeah, please feel free to pass this on to other A'J crew and whatnot. I know this forum only reaches a few of you.

Finally, I never really got to say this at the time I was leaving, but yeah, it was an honor to (role)play with you guys. Easily the hardest thing about leaving my job was stepping back from A'J, the forums, and just the EVE community in general. I still read these forums more than is good for me, so to avoid becoming further addicted I'll probably leave this post as my first and last but...yeah, you guys were always fucking epic and my main motivator to work harder, care more (and old CCP motto).

So much <3

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 30 Mar 2012, 08:14 »

Thanks for all the work you put in Bear!  It certainly was appreciated by large swaths of EVEians.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #24 on: 30 Mar 2012, 08:19 »

Thanks for taking the time to get in touch, Dropbear, it's much appreciated. :cube:

Even if the new Events team decides that A'J needs to be dropped for the time being, there's still a solid bunch of us who are involved and keeping projects running (of course, I've been slow at updating the MLA, I should get on that while I have a quiet day at work...), and I believe there'll be at least one or two related presentations at the upcoming SeyCon.

Everyone comes back to EVE sooner or later, so I'm sure we'll be seeing you around on less dev-y faces sooner or later. :D

It was a blast to get involved and spend time working with you on the project, and I'm very glad I decided to go all-in with it when the opportunity presented itself. So here's a very heart-felt thank you from me. <3

I'll put a mail in to the mailing list in a few minutes poking them to check here, and in the thread that Antiquarian started on GD. Again, thanks for checking in, we missed you! :3
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Daniel LSiata

• Clonejack
« Reply #25 on: 30 Mar 2012, 08:27 »

Thankyou Mr. Dropbear  :cube:

And sorry that I gave up on A'J so quickly after release >.>

Keep up the good work, wherever you go!

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #26 on: 30 Mar 2012, 08:33 »

Thanks for getting in touch, Dropbear -- good stuff.

Even though Kyber mostly ended up using A'J as a venue for trollplay, it was damn enjoyable trollplay, especially with you being a pretty fucking good RPer. :P Enjoy whatever it is that you go on to do, man. :3

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #27 on: 30 Mar 2012, 08:34 »

<3  :cube:

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #28 on: 30 Mar 2012, 08:48 »

Good luck Dropbear. Also, what should we say happened to Tukoss ICly?

Mysteriously vanished? Captured and turned into soylent green?  :twisted:
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Ollie

• Egger
« Reply #29 on: 30 Mar 2012, 09:10 »

Just wanted to say what everyone else said and add my thanks Dropbear. Good luck.

... maybe they won't go full retard ...

And thanks for the entirely politically incorrect Tropic Thunder reference too - even if it wasn't intended :lol:
Pages: 1 [2] 3