Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Maroon is the color of death for the Sani Sabik? (The Burning Life, p. 45)

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16

Author Topic: IC sections  (Read 46625 times)

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Re: IC sections
« Reply #165 on: 27 Oct 2014, 08:22 »

Not necessarily. You don't know what other characters I have on Miz's account. Even if I registered an api, I could limit that information. I think Lou was asking if you could see characters on the account that weren't registered as their own alt forum account, which would be no if the api was set right.

Vizage

• Egger
« Reply #166 on: 27 Oct 2014, 08:36 »

After today's latest barrage I can't recommend pulling the rip cord of IGS and having a private forums enough.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #167 on: 27 Oct 2014, 08:53 »

I can't stress enough that this should be a blank slate. No pre-emptive bans etc, preferably. I don't know if it might be a good idea to carry over permabans from Backstage, haven't really weighed the pros and cons there enough, but it should be an open place. If people are bad fits, they'll be sorted out by moderation soon enough, or maybe even change their tune if there's actual moderation in place.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #168 on: 27 Oct 2014, 09:52 »

No, Miz, that was my point. IP addresses are attached to individual posts and the owning account making the post. If you attached a character to an account through the API and subsequently post with that character, then your IP address is associated with that post, that character, and the account associated with them. There's really no way to work around that. (As an aside, regarding alts and the "secrecy" thereof: if someone is incapable of separating them sufficiently that people can't figure it out on their own without things like that or don't care to, they shouldn't get to complain when people figure it out and it becomes a known thing - especially when it's as obvious as a hammer hitting you in the face, as is the unfortunate case with a number of people and their alts.)

As far as "bad fits" goes... it's far more likely they'll just hem and haw and scream and rant and rage and cry ingame about it because it's impossible that they could just be wrong. About anything. Which is what already happens. :roll:

Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #169 on: 27 Oct 2014, 10:42 »

I think you misunderstand. If I attached Miz's api to the account and posted, and attached another account's character to an alt account and posted, you'd see the connection with the IP, but you wouldn't be able to see any alt characters on those accounts if they didn't post/have forum accounts.

Unless of course I gave that sort of access in the apis I set up.

In short, you wouldn't be able to see what other characters I have on Miz's account unless I posted with them/gave you that API access.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #170 on: 27 Oct 2014, 11:45 »

Well, yes. But why bother adding them if you're not going to post with them? I don't think you'd need to be giving account-wide APIs. vOv
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #171 on: 27 Oct 2014, 11:52 »

I agree. It's just what Lou was asking, if I understood her correctly.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #172 on: 27 Oct 2014, 12:01 »

Then the answer is that in theory, no, we wouldn't see it unless you posted.

But in practice, you wouldn't do that unless you intended to post with it, which makes it a bit of a silly question.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #173 on: 27 Oct 2014, 12:38 »

I think you still misunderstand. You attach an API to a forum account on one character. The question was whether this allowed admin to see other characters on the same account. This is indeed something you can do with the api if it's configured to show all characters on the account.

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing
« Reply #174 on: 27 Oct 2014, 12:43 »

I turn the argument on it's head.

People say that the "poor quality" of the IGS, means people are dissuaded from posting "good rp" on it, and that this IC forum would mean that more "good rp" occurs.

I turn that upside down.

If people are dissuaded from posting RP things onto the IGS, then maybe, the RP things weren't actually that good anyway.

Also: If someone writes articles about their private planet or solar system, on the IGS, then the wider community of EVE players is able to involve themselves, for good or bad.
I'm thinking here of someone saying that e.g. planet III (temperate) of system X is the capital of a civilisation they've set up. Someone organises a fleet of bombers to lob bombs at that planet, and posts screenshots of so doing. That is something that could happen when such things are posted on the IGS. So Be It.

If instead, the articles about Planet III (temperate) of system X are posted on some IC forum that the vast majority of EVE players do not have access to, then, all it is, is a shield against the big meanies. Says that you don't want your private worldbuilding to be interfered with in any way.

I.e. this:
I see no reason to create a slightly larger circlejerk for people that are used to having their RP unchallenged in their own clique.

Masturbation in any shape or form should be done away from the public.

Sorry about the phrasing.

vOv

do whatever.
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2014, 12:46 by Synthia »
The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #175 on: 27 Oct 2014, 13:13 »

Moderation: Entirely OOC. Every mod comment would simply be a faceless functionary handing out a warning and doing the moderation work. Entirely faction unaffiliated/neutral, no name or face to place on it. No need to give the excuse for IC claims of bias because the moderator is known to be a loyalist of some sort.

i don't understand this bit ?

an ingame character, to post with ? or a different forum account that only exists to post ?

but they'd be operated by people who are known to be players of other characters ?

I don't understand.
\o/

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #176 on: 27 Oct 2014, 13:29 »

The practicalities of it I'm not going to get into. Might be done on separate moderator accounts or something, but making the moderation team from an IC point of view be just faceless functionaries with no ties to any faction or anything will let the forums be moderated without there being an IC excuse to say "Well you're just modding my rawrmatar post because you're an Empire sympathizer!" etc.

Besides, having an IC moderation team would sort of require some of them to act biased because that's what they are, in character. Basically, making the moderation team entirely neutral from an IC pov just avoids a whole bunch of pitfalls.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #177 on: 27 Oct 2014, 14:32 »

Okay, this seems to have gotten enough traction that it should be discussed in a more organized fashion. We had the Smoke Filled Room last time around, so how about we make a little back room here on Backstage (new forum section, temporary if need be) where we can set up a few threads for discussing particulars like moderation, rulesets, exactly how it's to be built, etc?

Anyanka Funk

« Reply #178 on: 27 Oct 2014, 15:06 »

I turn the argument on it's head.

People say that the "poor quality" of the IGS, means people are dissuaded from posting "good rp" on it, and that this IC forum would mean that more "good rp" occurs.

I turn that upside down.

If people are dissuaded from posting RP things onto the IGS, then maybe, the RP things weren't actually that good anyway.

Also: If someone writes articles about their private planet or solar system, on the IGS, then the wider community of EVE players is able to involve themselves, for good or bad.
I'm thinking here of someone saying that e.g. planet III (temperate) of system X is the capital of a civilisation they've set up. Someone organises a fleet of bombers to lob bombs at that planet, and posts screenshots of so doing. That is something that could happen when such things are posted on the IGS. So Be It.

If instead, the articles about Planet III (temperate) of system X are posted on some IC forum that the vast majority of EVE players do not have access to, then, all it is, is a shield against the big meanies. Says that you don't want your private worldbuilding to be interfered with in any way.

I.e. this:
I see no reason to create a slightly larger circlejerk for people that are used to having their RP unchallenged in their own clique.

Masturbation in any shape or form should be done away from the public.

Sorry about the phrasing.

vOv

do whatever.

Synthia, this can be a good thing. The Summit channel imo is only more popular than Intergalactic Summit because it's easier to find and spell correctly. The IGS though is integrated into eve forums for ease. People will not stop using it as a launch site for new rp toons. It will still be more populated than Theatre (or whatever you guys end up calling it).

At first Theatre will be a circle jerk. Awesome! That will mean less public self-gratification on IGS!

But for Anyanka,  Theatre will not be a circle jerk. It will be a diaspora for the exiled and hopefully a new beginning.  :)

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #179 on: 27 Oct 2014, 21:43 »

I would like to reiterate that the whole alt concern can be easily fixed by allowing the forums to be accessed via proxy server. You could then have attached API but no genuine IP.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16