Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

a lone miner was detained and executed on 29.11YC105 for "suspicious curiosity" after asking passing Imperial Fleet ships "where they were going with all those guns".

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16

Author Topic: IC sections  (Read 46616 times)

Jace

• Veteran
Re: IC sections
« Reply #105 on: 21 Sep 2014, 09:53 »

It's like using 4chan as the public promotion area for a Women's Rights association.

Wai you hate 4chan. Deserves FUnicorn.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #106 on: 21 Sep 2014, 09:56 »

I love 4chan, for its purpose. Some other purposes it would be... less than optimal for.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #107 on: 21 Sep 2014, 10:02 »

I was trying to make a funny. Way to respond with like, an actual response. Le sigh.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #108 on: 21 Sep 2014, 10:07 »

Oh, fuck. Sorry. I mean.. err... FUNICORN RAMPAGE!

Or maybe... err... women's rights on 4chan something I DON'T EVEN KNOW?!

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #109 on: 21 Sep 2014, 10:13 »

I would agree, if the official boards weren't repelling activity as it is. What exactly is a newcomer to the official boards going to see? The Diana Kim Show and some faction rambling? It's not exactly a good recruitment tool as it stands. Now, what newcomers will almost certainly find is the OOC/Summit channels where this sort of place would be heavily advertised (I assume) just like Backstage. We see far more new blood come here to Backstage than we ever see join in on the IGS.

The IGS isn't going to go away either, as we certainly don't have the power to close it nor would we if we had it. The place will continue on exactly as it is now, I suspect as it is right now the home for exactly the kind of posting and behaviour that a Backstage-like IC board would be less suitable for.

If the IGS is currently the public promotion area for the RP community, the RP community is hosed. It's like using 4chan as the public promotion area for a Women's Rights association.

How do pre-RPers (as in, non-RPers with potential to enjoy RP once experiencing it) find the Summit and OOC channels if they don't already RP and aren't trying to find the RP community?

By new blood I'm referring to the really new type. The kind that aren't already RPers, aren't playing EVE for the RP, and who won't otherwise seek it out. Those people can only be attracted through publically visible areas, like the IGS.

It's important even for current RPers, as activity level of the RP community will often be judged by the activity level of the publically visible areas. I was certainly watching IGS for several days, watching how many posts it was getting per day, before deciding if I should start playing EVE or not. Ironically, DK's posts were some of the ones that made me acknowledge that things were active and that I wouldn't be wasting my time if I started playing. Though the derailing annoys me terribly now, when I was new the key thing I was looking for was an indicator of activity.
« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2014, 10:19 by Samira Kernher »

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #110 on: 21 Sep 2014, 10:18 »

Those people can only be attracted through publically visible areas, like the IGS.

Maybe some find it through the IGS, but most new folks I have known that started RP did so by meeting RPers in non-RP situations. A situation like this happened just yesterday, actually. They are in a corp or other group with someone that happens to be an RPer and get interested. Also, there is no way to calculate the amount of people that find the IGS and don't join EVE RP because of how the IGS looks. If that had been my first introduction to RP in EVE, I certainly never would have jumped in.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #111 on: 21 Sep 2014, 10:20 »

Those people can only be attracted through publically visible areas, like the IGS.

Maybe some find it through the IGS, but most new folks I have known that started RP did so by meeting RPers in non-RP situations. A situation like this happened just yesterday, actually. They are in a corp or other group with someone that happens to be an RPer and get interested. Also, there is no way to calculate the amount of people that find the IGS and don't join EVE RP because of how the IGS looks. If that had been my first introduction to RP in EVE, I certainly never would have jumped in.

Maybe I'm just jaded, but I don't expect the best quality RP from any kind of public RP in general, so it doesn't bother me much.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #112 on: 21 Sep 2014, 10:21 »

Maybe I'm just jaded, but I don't expect the best quality RP from any kind of public RP in general, so it doesn't bother me much.

That kind of filter is for those that have plenty of RP experience in past games and thus are likely to more actively seek out RP in EVE, whether it is the IGS or looking for channels. For those that are new to RP as a whole, which we were describing, they will not have that experience filter.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #113 on: 21 Sep 2014, 10:22 »

I suspect many of the 'new blood' also find their way over from the live events forum, since certain specific channels are listed by name in a post by Falcon as places people should go for RP.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Utsukushi Shi

• Achur Temptress
  • Egger
  • Chuku Dansei
« Reply #114 on: 21 Sep 2014, 10:23 »

Two things.

1. Twatwaffelry.

2. I have never actually reported or petitioned anything. How does one go about doing this?
Sometimes one wants to get caught...

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #115 on: 21 Sep 2014, 10:30 »

Hrr, browser ate my post. Quick attempt at reconstruction (and answering the five consecutive posts after) to follow:

@Sam, I doubt the IGS will change much if this new forum comes along. If it does, it deserves to. I am also fairly certain the IGS is really not where we see new RPers come in, in any significant numbers. Live Events forums/interaction, interaction in the game, active searching for the RP community (when I consider a new MMO, the first thing I do is look for the RP community's OOC portals like Backstage as the amount/activity there is usually indicative of the quality and size of the community far more than any official portal) and so on.

@ Utshi, 1. Twatwafflery wut? 2. Rub a piece of ham on the monitor and HDD, then bury it at a crossroads and wait on top of a mountain at midnight. It'll have exactly the same effect as hitting the report flag on the forum post. (If we're talking IGS)

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #116 on: 21 Sep 2014, 10:46 »

Two things.

1. Twatwaffelry.

2. I have never actually reported or petitioned anything. How does one go about doing this?

1) I thought it was a good word for the concept I wanted to convey.

2) On the EVE forums, there's a little flag icon on every post. You can click on that and submit a report for a post that way. I usually do it to mark OOC posts in the IGS, since afaik nearly nothing else actually gets acted upon. As far as actual petitions go? That's through the same system as always, though they call them "Support Tickets" now. Ingame, press F12 and then "create new support ticket".
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #117 on: 21 Sep 2014, 10:48 »

And mine just got eaten too because EVE servers crashed again.

But yeah. Didn't Backstage have a stickied thread on the IGS once upon a time? Or Chatsubo? I remember there being one which is how I personally knew about it when I started. But activity on the IC areas are just as, if not more important than, activity in OOC areas. As people often say, you don't want to just be talking about RP while not actually doing it.

But yeah, same for me, when I join an MMO the first thing I do is look for the RP community and whatever third party resources it might have. RP is the only thing I really care for in MMOs. But I do acknowledge that there's a lot of people who are playing the game just to play the game, and that the public visibility of the RP community is very important and getting some of them to consider trying out RP.

I suppose EVE does have it better in that the RP community does have direct involvement in in-game activities, due to the game being a full-time RP environment. That definitely helps with promotion. My own experience is from MMOs where RP is a separate thing from the game, and so when the RP community isolates itself into its own private RP thing the people who play the game to play the game never experience nor see it. The fact that EVE only has one server is another good thing, as it consolidates people and prevents competition (a huge issue and what makes me wary about third party forums is that in my previous RP community on WoW, my own server, Defias Brotherhood, basically died out due to leaving the official forum to OOCers and isolating itself on a private forum. All new RPers flocked to Argent Dawn because Argent Dawn used the official forums, thus making itself the thing most new RPers would see when they went looking).

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #118 on: 21 Sep 2014, 10:54 »

I suppose EVE does have it better in that the RP community does have direct involvement in in-game activities, due to the game being a full-time RP environment. That definitely helps with promotion. My own experience is from MMOs where RP is a separate thing from the game, and so when the RP community isolates itself into its own private RP thing the people who play the game to play the game never experience nor see it. The fact that EVE only has one server is another good thing, as it consolidates people and prevents competition.

These have been the most effective aspects in my own personal experience of bringing new people into RP. Since activities are actually out and about, non-RPers can actually run into RPers and get interested. And whatever they are interested in is practically reachable because it is all one spot. While not all that many people I have shown to Backstage and EVE RP have stuck with it in the long term, at least they were able to meet someone who could point them in various directions and let them know what is out there. Corp names, channel names, etc.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #119 on: 21 Sep 2014, 11:01 »

Sam: I had the opposite experience when looking at Defias Brotherhood and Argent Dawn. The reason I got interested (but never got around to migrating to) in AD was their private forums. I actually can't recall what server I stayed on though, but I stayed because it was the only decent PvP RPserver out there.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16