Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Khanid and Sansha ships were originally half lasers half missiles split ships?

Author Topic: Vanished ships and man eating stargates  (Read 2879 times)

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
Vanished ships and man eating stargates
« on: 11 Dec 2014, 04:45 »

So I started a new RP arc, wherein Saede is investigating a phenomena where ships get 'eaten' by stargates and other weird anomalies. I based it off of the Peralles Incident chronicle, Misjump, the story of the disappearance of Simca Devalon, and the history page of the Endless Corporation. I then fleshed out the mystery with a bunch of other vanished ships over the last 100 years. Yes OOC, I made some of it up. Since a few people have asked now.

On the other hand, ICly, Saede did not make it up, she actually did a lot of research into it and has been interviewing people and compiling information on this phenomena for the past few months, which has generated some interesting roleplay during her investigations. However, its entirely possible that Saede is drawing lines between unconnected events, or shoehorning associations that fit her theories.

My goal OOC is not to 'solve' the mystery, this is something that has been running in the background as an arc among various people for a long, long time, and I don't necessarily think there should be a conclusion to it. More, to flesh out the mystery, make it more well known and to turn it into something that people can sink their teeth into. In many ways, this isn't entirely my story, I'm just tagging along.

Is there some intelligence lurking in the darkness between stargates? What is happening to the people who supposedly come back 'changed' and are they part of some conspiracy? What exactly is going on aboard those ships that vanish and reappear months later with no crews?

Feel free to chip in, call me crazy, add more case files, or otherwise contribute. Hopefully we can all contribute something spooky and interesting to EVE lore.
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2014, 05:01 by Saede Riordan »
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: Vanished ships and man eating stargates
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2014, 08:49 »

That which does not kill us makes us stranger...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6KLJ9Hn3L8

Double Plus good idea Saede Riordan.

Reminds me of 40k ships having to roll the dice and enter the warp to travel, you never know where or when you will end up sometimes.

The idea of new eden taking stargates for granted and something mysterious going on now and then snatching ships is great!

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2014, 11:44 »

I actually saw a ship jump through a stargate and not appear on the other side, ingame.
\o/

Anyanka Funk

« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2014, 11:59 »

Not quite the same, but when Anyanka lived in a class five two years ago there were glitches with some of the exits in some of the class five chains. We used siggy to map the chains daily. Sometimes the exit would be there still from the day before, not older than twenty-four hours so it should have still been good. But the exit would only be on one side. When you jumped though you would appear to go through but you got a notice about traffic control. It would last until you restarted the client then you would be back in the system you had just seemed to have left. The exit would still be there. The exit stayed there until downtime.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2014, 12:56 »

This needs to be a game feature, that stargates have an x% chance to a)malfunction or b)kick you to a different system.

The % gets higher the less trafficked the system is maybe. 

mwahaha

Anyanka Funk

« Reply #5 on: 11 Dec 2014, 13:06 »

I think there is kind of a way to do this now with jump portals. If you jump through just as the portal you should exit from closes. I don't know if that still works.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 11 Dec 2014, 13:32 »

This needs to be a game feature, that stargates have an x% chance to a)malfunction or b)kick you to a different system.

The % gets higher the less trafficked the system is maybe. 

mwahaha

I actually took the opposite tack, I'd said the % rate is the same everywhere, so more gate mishaps happen in populated areas because there's flat out more gate traffic. Or maybe its not a flat rate. Maybe the monster in the void is picking specific ships to devour for certain reasons.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 11 Dec 2014, 14:16 »

I think there is kind of a way to do this now with jump portals. If you jump through just as the portal you should exit from closes. I don't know if that still works.

If the ship opening a cyno is kersploded during transit you might not end up at the destination.

I might be remembering this wrong, but I seem to remember several incidents of this during pirate operations when the bait ship explodes before the cavalry arrives, and half the cavalry ends up not where they need to be!

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #8 on: 11 Dec 2014, 14:33 »

They still end up in the system though - just usually at the star, iirc.

Which makes sense lorewise actually - it's been stated that jump drives can lock onto stars in the absence of a cyno - or at least, old ones used them instead of cynos.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 11 Dec 2014, 19:16 »

There have been some interesting incidents involving server connections and jumping/warping around, yes. I've experienced two of them myself, one apparently a connection issue and one completely inexplicable.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #10 on: 11 Dec 2014, 19:48 »

There's alot of Event Horizon/40k vibes to this one. I think that a more serious scholar would assume space-time anomalies, considering how the stargates work. Personally, I say that the stargates are really webway gates and since webways aren't actually 100% safe there's actually something in there that eats ships and people.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #11 on: 11 Dec 2014, 20:06 »

This, was sitting in the back of my mind as I wrote the missing ship history.

Halcyon

• Queen of Chocolate
  • Egger
  • Bewbs
« Reply #12 on: 12 Dec 2014, 03:46 »

Having lived in wormhole space and considering her work, Halcyon would not be disinterested in this

Xiaohui

• Clonejack
« Reply #13 on: 24 Dec 2014, 18:16 »

The % chance to appear somewhere else would be a very cool game mechanic. Would definitely make roams more interesting.  :twisted:

I read your post and I thought it was really neat. It seems like something my character would be interested in since she's into scientific mysteries, but I honestly have no idea how to begin interacting with that arc at the moment.

Velarra

• Wetgraver
  • Angel
    • DED Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 Jan 2015, 21:29 »

I'll chime in and note I've had some Stargate crossing issues in the past. It's dreadfully tempting to share the entertaining details but i find it much more amusing to keep them for IC discussions. That being said, they happen I think if you play long enough and take enough star gates. Matter of probability. Even more amusing they're quite capable of happening in other MMO's as well.

The root tends to be linked to how files or items in addresses are moved around. Server / client communication, interrupts, lag or disconnects during file copying and related safe practices. Sometimes it's better for a game (as a whole) that things go missing & are temporarily (yay database backups!) lost by the user / client than other options.

In any case, I've always wondered for some time, whether the Peralles Incident chronicle is a degree of CCP database coder stories making their way into PF.