Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That in Norse mythology, the "Naglfar" was a ship built from the toenail and fingernail clippings of the dead?

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Halete - 2drone, LOL 2DRONE [Rogue Drone RP Help Requested]  (Read 3631 times)

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing

much of the CCP written information relating to rogue drones is scattered across a wide range of things.

Such as missions of all levels, and the rogue drone exploration sites.

This makes it difficult to grasp everything.

Things like, rogue drones being able to interact peacefully with people. This can be done, according to a specific exploration expedition.

Rogue drones being able to integrate technology they find into their own ecosystem, is another thing only mentioned in one place.

Much of it is of course, contradictory. Yaay.
The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr

I've been poking at Rogue Drones RP for a while, and this is my thoughts as of now on it:

*Rping as a rogue drone is generally a bad idea, since we have no idea what anything about them is like, and anything you claim is complete hearsay and is totally up in the air to CCP.

*'Capturing' intact rogue drones is probably also a bad idea. I don't think I've so far seen an incidence of this not ending in the drone's inevitable escape/rampage.

The problem is there is very little in the way of being able to support/interact with the rogue drones IC. They don't have NPC agents, there's very little in the way of being able to do anything except shoot them. This problem is then compounded because if someone claims IC to have made some sort of contact with them, they're effectively godmodding the drones into doing so, and people tend to make frowny faces at this. I have a whole bunch of RP stuff basically sitting on standstill until there's anything I can do mechanically. Saede has been trying to contact rogue drones for months, and has been working on building illegal strong AIs, and there is a lot of places I'd like to go with Rogue Drone stuff that I can't do because CCP hasn't provided anything to do.

That's not to say RP involving drones can't be done, but its...a tricky place to try and roleplay.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Anslol

Um...there's a rogue drone mind in Deltole you can do a mission for :S you have to get its embryonic mind back from other alvus rogues.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod

Um...there's a rogue drone mind in Deltole you can do a mission for :S you have to get its embryonic mind back from other alvus rogues.

the mission agent in question actually gives you ORE standings. And that agent is all there is, and there's nothing to the arc besides doing those two missions that one agent gives. I know about her though. I've gotten enough people to go fail her mission and collect embryos for me to know all about her.

Anslol

the mission agent in question actually gives you ORE standings. And that agent is all there is, and there's nothing to the arc besides doing those two missions that one agent gives. I know about her though. I've gotten enough people to go fail her mission and collect embryos for me to know all about her.

hawt

Lyn Farel

I am quite reluctant when it comes to rogue drone RP. As Saede said, not enough serious info PF wise. As soon as you "invent" something about them, it basically is like making stuff up concerning the capabilities of the drones in question. Even if you say it's very local and minor, just concerning a tiny hive, it actually tells what the drones are able to do in general. And since we do not have much (if not anything...) in PF to actually know how drones work and what safe boundaries in drone RP would be...

The only thing I know is that drone control is possible since SoCT ultra secret mysterious people seem to be able to do so at will, but that's completely godmody in itself, even if it exists in PF. People will just roll their eyes if someone ever claims to be able to do such a feat, the same way they would roll their eyes at someone playing an enheduaa... something.

Edit : I think the best card to play in that matter may be more the naive/innocent sympathizer kind of character, that actually has no more knowledge than any of our characters about drones, except maybe a bit more fancy and obscure lore since the character would be some kind of rogue drone nerd. That can provide a lot of RP ideas without going into highly volatile RP territory.
« Last Edit: 27 Mar 2013, 17:02 by Lyn Farel »

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod

I am quite reluctant when it comes to rogue drone RP. As Saede said, not enough serious info PF wise. As soon as you "invent" something about them, it basically is like making stuff up concerning the capabilities of the drones in question. Even if you say it's very local and minor, just concerning a tiny hive, it actually tells what the drones are able to do in general. And since we do not have much (if not anything...) in PF to actually know how drones work and what safe boundaries in drone RP would be...

The only thing I know is that drone control is possible since SoCT ultra secret mysterious people seem to be able to do so at will, but that's completely godmody in itself, even if it exists in PF. People will just roll their eyes if someone ever claims to be able to do such a feat, the same way they would roll their eyes at someone playing an enheduaa... something.

Edit : I think the best card to play in that matter may be more the naive/innocent sympathizer kind of character, that actually has no more knowledge than any of our characters about drones, except maybe a bit more fancy and obscure lore since the character would be some kind of rogue drone nerd. That can provide a lot of RP ideas without going into highly volatile RP territory.

This basically completely mirrors my thoughts on it, and the 'rogue drone nerd' is basically how I RP Saede.

Anslol

I don't think I agree with Lyn. I'm of the mind that Eve is indeed a sandbox in all aspects, even in RP. Yes you should avoid godmody things like saying you control a fleet of Rogue Drones and autowin or something....odd like that.

HOWEVER. If you base some of your RP in hard scientific fact with what we know about artificial intelligence theory today combined with the bioengineering and biomechanical processes evident in drones (see the Postnatal Chronicle for reference http://community.eveonline.com/backstory/chronicles/postnatal/ ), you could pull something off. You may not be able to RP as a hybrid rogue drone or something sure, that'd get some eye rolls. But there's plenty of ways to use what we DO know in Eve about Rogue Drones with the science we have in the real world to create something neat as long as it isn't too far fetched.

Eve is very much player content driven. If the content does not exist in great amounts, that does not mean it simply cannot be mentioned. Even something like the Enheduanni mentioned earlier could pop up indirectly ("I'm trying to get a scan on this Sleeper Conclave, but I'm getting weird heat signatures here and there. They're moving too. I think something's busted in the scanner...).

Bottom line is, as long as you don't go too far out there, you can definitely do this. If you want OOC help in developing more scientifically sound backgrounds to create a pseudo proof-of-concept, I'd be happy to assist.
« Last Edit: 28 Mar 2013, 06:41 by Anslol »

Lyn Farel

I never said that I was disapproving or opposed to such things.

As long as it does not remain too far fetched is a good rule usually, but with rogue drones we have nothing in PF to even create something that is not too far fetched... Unless you keep your RP to "I play a capsuleer human, and I try to learn things about  alien drones that have been observed to be doing this or that (ingame or through chronicles)".

As soon as you start to introduce precise details about how they work, how their society works, or anything as such, it starts to get very speculative. And speculation can unconsciously lead to godmoding something that is not part of PF into someone else's RP.

Which is why I am reluctant in some cases.

Safai

• Toast &
  • Omelette
  • "Phantom Spaceman is a big fat jerk!"

Is the Rogue Drone scene dead? Certainly except for UNIT the majority of the "Rogue Drone RP" I've seen in the last two years has been 'non-RPers' RPing (oxymoron right? not my words) 'Rogue Drones' themselves complete with generous amounts of binary spam in channels.

Yeah, essentially that's what it was.

There was a brief rogue drone RP effort year or two back, most of them got laughed and hazed out of the scene after a few months. Few remain I guess, I'm not really in the loop what's going on in the deepest depths of the Wizard Hatting community these days. I'm not saying don't do it, I'm saying be prepared have shit poured on you.

Shit like this pisses me off. It prevents interesting RP from evolving because of fear of retribution and general exclusion from everything. But luckily, Yuni's been doing an amazing job so far. Aside from AJ, I strongly suggest you talk to Yuni and get something going on there. Some friendly Rogue's might make it easier for Halete to go and understand/study Rogue Drone kind.

As a former member of that group and a player who was almost hazed out of the scene because of (yes, that was my intro to EVE RP), I can confirm it wasn't as nice of an intro to the RP community as it should have been. (Though I think this is around when Backstage began to really crack down on 'urdoingitwrongs' too)

FWIW, I still think that corp's idea of all members being tied into a single hive mind calling itself Entity is totally rad, regardless of how it ties into the already existing Rogue Drone PF. However, in retrospect, other than the eyeball rolling caused by a capsuleer calling itself a drone, perhaps the biggest issue was in how the corp presented itself as an extension of Rogue Drones and thus the PF in general? As opposed to a closed network of drones and/or messed up capsuleers of its own kind. Maybe a better route would be to leave it as implied rather than explicitly stated, and let other players reach their own conclusions?

At the end of the day though that corp did worldbuilding for itself, which is totally respectable and is more than could be said for many other corps.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette

Rogue Drone Systems was one of the most fun things I've seen from eve RPers. Unexploded Ordinance, the sentient torpedo, was my favorite!

Safai

• Toast &
  • Omelette
  • "Phantom Spaceman is a big fat jerk!"

Rogue Drone Systems was one of the most fun things I've seen from eve RPers. Unexploded Ordinance, the sentient torpedo, was my favorite!

LOL, yes, that guy's bio is awesome.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod

FWIW, I still think that corp's idea of all members being tied into a single hive mind calling itself Entity is totally rad, regardless of how it ties into the already existing Rogue Drone PF. However, in retrospect, other than the eyeball rolling caused by a capsuleer calling itself a drone, perhaps the biggest issue was in how the corp presented itself as an extension of Rogue Drones and thus the PF in general? As opposed to a closed network of drones and/or messed up capsuleers of its own kind. Maybe a better route would be to leave it as implied rather than explicitly stated, and let other players reach their own conclusions?

Thats basically how I roll with things. Hiveminds are fun, and you can honestly go pretty far with things, without having to go too far out on a branch to have content.

I'm also going to be extremely in the minority here and say I honestly rather dislike the way Yuni is presented, because Yuni has casually made a lot of IC claims about the nature of Rogue Drones that I don't think match the canon. Its not my character, but I tend to just not interact with her. Too much of a potential headache. No offence meant to the player or anything. I'm just...not a fan. 

Lyn Farel

RDS sure was hilarious. Brings back a lot of memories.

Vincent Pryce

RDS sure was hilarious. Brings back a lot of memories.

I find it more hilarious that people reminisce them now with fondness when they first hazed these guys out of the RP scene due to the Rogue Drone element. EVE RP Community is fucked up  :lol:
Pages: 1 [2] 3