Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That in Norse mythology, the "Naglfar" was a ship built from the toenail and fingernail clippings of the dead?

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Mary Sue Litmus Test  (Read 3163 times)

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
Re: Mary Sue Litmus Test
« Reply #15 on: 25 Dec 2012, 13:07 »

17, and that's doing the whole 'technically because capsuleer' thing. I like to think I'm at least reasonably good at keeping Kala grounded in (Eve based) reality.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 25 Dec 2012, 15:54 »

Goddamnit I picked Slave Child for the Per and Wil and because I couldnt take an Achuran looking at me, not for Mary Sueness :(

Oh, and 14
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

DeadRow

• Bit of a Dick
  • Omelette
  • Loyal to herself
« Reply #17 on: 25 Dec 2012, 18:15 »

25 apparently  :oops:

[12:40:50] Kasuko Merin > He has this incredible talent for making posts at people that could be <i>literally</i> quoted straight back at him and still apply.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #18 on: 26 Dec 2012, 13:56 »

Goddamnit I picked Slave Child for the Per and Wil and because I couldnt take an Achuran looking at me, not for Mary Sueness :(

Oh, and 14

Well I picked slave child for the same exact crap reasons and I handwaved it long ago. xD

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #19 on: 26 Dec 2012, 14:27 »

Pretty sure I took this ages ago but I got 16 this time.

Not too surprised given I was considering "side-effects" of being a capsuleer as not being out of the ordinary for the context of the test. >_>;
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #20 on: 26 Dec 2012, 23:00 »

Got an 8 for Katla. De-Suifiers helped.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #21 on: 27 Dec 2012, 14:35 »

I got a grand total of 0, but I was able to use a whopping 9 de-suifiers, some of which were worth multiple points. Thank goodness for all of Aldy's stupid mistakes!

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #22 on: 30 Dec 2012, 13:33 »

Took the test for my main toon, BloodBird.

Ended up on 21, clicking on all the 'because of capsuleer' options as well. I just could not write of things like being absurdly rich, even if all eggers are absurdly rich, mostly because of the fact that trillions of non-capsuleers aren't. Then there was the recent events describing his years spent out of action and the reasons for those, and some personal quirks.

"17-21
Fanfiction characters can go either way at this point depending on the writer. For an MMO/RPG or original fiction character, however, you're most likely perfectly fine."

I'm rather happy with this, tbh. Might run it again later for my other toons.

Bong-cha Jones

• New Jin Mei
  • Egger
« Reply #23 on: 30 Dec 2012, 22:34 »

Right, but 'not a capsuleer' isn't a chargen option in this rpg, so you aren't responsible for 'because of capsuleer' traits.  If you wrote a fiction about superheroes, your character wouldn't have to check all the 'because I'm a superhero' boxes when determining if they were a Mary Sue.  Similarly, Hermione Granger isn't a Mary Sue just for being a wizard, because the Harry Potter series is primarily about wizards, and nevermind the billions of muggles.  The baseline for comparison is made up of the meaningful characters in the story, not the people that don't get names or mentions.
Formerly Simon Coal.

Sakura Nihil

• Egger
  • Glory
« Reply #24 on: 01 Jan 2013, 01:16 »

19 here.

I'm torn, I think this is a good tool for young characters, not so much us bittervets who've been around the block several times.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #25 on: 01 Jan 2013, 01:21 »

As far as I can see, you aren't in trouble until you hit 30 or so - because if your baseline is being a capsuleer, you gotta have some serious shit going on to hit more than 30.  :D

Lyn Farel

« Reply #26 on: 01 Jan 2013, 06:34 »

Might not be so hard with all the "I want to marry my character" questions, the various "amnesic raped slave backgrounds", etc.  :)

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #27 on: 02 Jan 2013, 10:56 »

Only ended up at 22, which is a bit lower than expected, may have involved a bit of rationalization or convenient forgetfulness.  I'll give it another look after lunch, see how bad it is if I work with pre-retcon vicky rather than post. I'm guessing it'll hit the mid thirties.

Edit:
BAAAHHAHAHAH!!! A less forgiving run through came out at 66. What a terrible character I made originally.
« Last Edit: 02 Jan 2013, 12:36 by Victoria Stecker »

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #28 on: 02 Jan 2013, 12:58 »

Only ended up at 22, which is a bit lower than expected, may have involved a bit of rationalization or convenient forgetfulness.  I'll give it another look after lunch, see how bad it is if I work with pre-retcon vicky rather than post. I'm guessing it'll hit the mid thirties.

Edit:
BAAAHHAHAHAH!!! A less forgiving run through came out at 66. What a terrible character I made originally.

Demon Stecker stalks your dreams :D
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #29 on: 13 Jan 2013, 10:54 »

-2?

Pretty sure this is because like, ALL of the bad crap at the end has some kind of weight that is stronger than the *plus* stuff; disabled, being stupid, being a coward, so on and so on.

Retaking it and checking "yes" for everything that could possibly apply, I got a 18. This is things like "is your character exceptionally good at anything" and "is your character rich?" which seem more like side effects of EVE than things I purposely did. Some of the items in the test seem pretty "normal" for eve (being wealthy, being cybornetically enhanced, and so on) but I clicked em anyway.

Was kind of worried Ava'd score way higher, to be honest.
« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2013, 11:13 by Ava Starfire »
Pages: 1 [2] 3