Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Mindflood, a sedative booster, is taken by pouring liquid from a vial onto a cloth, placing it over one's mouth, and inhaling the fumes? (The Burning Life p 38)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: D&D Character Attributes  (Read 7468 times)

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
Re: D&D Character Attributes
« Reply #15 on: 12 Dec 2011, 21:29 »

Strength (STR) - 10-11

Andreus doesn't really care about gross physical strength because he so rarely has call to use it that spending the neccessary time to develop it would be a waste. However, he cares enough about his body and physical appearence to work on keeping his muscles from actually atrophying, and he is capable of feats of occasional, impulsive physical effort like almost all humans are.

Dexterity (DEX) - 14-16

This is something that Andreus actually cares about, and has more use for. His self-taught practice of Intaki martial arts keeps him limber and makes him quick and light on his feet.

Constitution (CON) - 10-12

Andreus is neither unusually resilient against physical maladies or concerns nor unusually susceptible to them. He'll take immunoboosters for planetside trips and gets headaches for a while after jumping into a new clone. He's caught a few colds and had an eye infection once but no major ailments to speak of.

Intelligence (INT) - 16-18

A lot of people mistake his opinionated, vocal nature for ignorance or low intellectual calibre, and frequently forget that Andreus is actually an articulate young man with a keen insight into the various fields that interest him. He's technologically savvy and has a vast memory for facts, figures and minutae. He has problematic short-term memory but excellent long-term memory and will often bring up with nigh-perfect clarity events or conversations that everyone else has completely forgotten. He's not quite a bona-fide genius but there are very few concepts or topics that entirely elude his understanding, and he can often grasp the raw basics of a subject with just a few minutes' observation or research. He has an excellent talent for the collation and synergy of data and a keen eye for connections between things.

Intelligence is certainly Andreus' highest score, and his greatest asset.

Wisdom (WIS) - ???

In Andreus' case, Wisdom is really hard to quantify. I wanted to make this his lowest score, but it represents far too broad a scope of personality traits. Andreus has exceptionally little regard for propriety, convention and tradition, often doesn't keep his mouth shut when he really should and has a very-well-deserved reputation for being a bigoted, racist loudmouth. However, he's actually quite perceptive and can, at times, offer genuine insight into a situation. In Storyteller games (New World of Darkness, Exalted, Scion), a nine-attribute system is used which basically splits D&D's "Wisdom" into three different traits - namely, Wits (perception and awareness), Resolve (determination and force of will) and Composure (moderation, patience and self-respect), which I find it far easier to describe Andreus under - he has high Resolve, relatively high Wits and very low Composure.

Charisma (CHA) - ???

Again, this is hard for me to quantify with Andreus, as Charisma covers too broad a selection of personality traits to easily describe him. Again, the Storyteller system splits it into a number of traits - Presence (overt force of personality), Manipulation (subtle interpersonal skills) and Composure (patience, moderation, etc.). Andreus has relatively high Presence - although he rarely chooses to do so, he can if he so wishes demand attention and attendance (if not respect) from others simply by the way he comports himself. His Manipulation skill wobbles - sometimes he's clumsy and obvious and makes his intentions very clear, but he can seem sincere when he isn't if he really tries. As stated above, his Composure's quite low - he has little patience and little concern for decorum and etiquette.

I'd actually like to do something similar to this for the Storyteller system, as even though it's got more attributes, it's actually easier to model a realistic character because of the system's increased granularity.

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #16 on: 13 Dec 2011, 06:22 »

Reppy'll bite.

Strength: 12
Enough kidnappings and physical trials have taken their toll on her, and she regularly engages in various exercises and combat training, both alone and with her personal guard.  As a result she's above average, although she lacks the discipline to make much more than that.

Dexterity: 15
See above.  Although she is somewhat lax in her physical strength training, she has taken to a variety of exercise and training regimes that she sticks to religiously as a concentration aid, quite apart from any other benefits.

Constitution: 11
No weakling, but no particularly resilience to her.  She can take a beating and not flinch, but she'll suffer the bruises afterwards.

Intelligence: 10
Repentence is not dumb by any standard, but she's also not as smart as she thinks she is.  She's in theory well educated due to her aristocratic upbringing, but her restless and rebellious tendencies meant that little went in.  It's rare for her to do something genuinely stupid, but all in all, she is very average.

Wisdom: ??
Much the same problem as with Andreus above.  In the classic sense of wisdom, it'd be her dump stat; she's impulsive, moody, arrogant and a whole rack of other problems.  In the DnD sense, though...

To use the same Wits, Resolve and Composure system:
Wits - average.
Resolve - sky high, probably her highest stat.  Her brushes with mental illness, and the many secrets she has held and still holds have given her tremendous willpower and a bloodymindedness that, as some will attest, can bulldoze through just about anything.  Unfortunately...
Composure - very low.  She doesn't suffer from Andreus' loudmouth issues, but she can be spiteful and impetuous at the best of times, even to close friends.  As a result, sometimes she sets about destroying things that are actually good for her just because she doesn't like them.

Charisma: 16
Despite her aggression, moodiness and downright cruelty on a bad day, Repentence is undeniably charismatic.  She makes friends easily, and is quick to apologise if she oversteps the line.  An incorrigible flirt, thoughtful confidante and inspiring leader when she wants to be.  That said, if she takes a disliking to someone, the results are unpleasant.  She holds a grudge like no other, and although she rarely puts herself in danger or trouble in the cause of revenge, if opportunity comes, she does not hesitate.

tarunik

• Resident Wormhole Lord
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #17 on: 13 Dec 2011, 08:24 »

As to Tarunik:

Strength: 10-11
He's of average build, and most of his exercise is focused on cardiovascular endurance, not strength-building.

Dexterity: 16
A combination of technical work aboard spaceships and stations and his marksmanship training mean he has good manual dexterity.  His gross agility is more of a question, though, as he has not needed it much recently; he has been looking into martial arts training as of late, but his current residence doesn't really provide for that.

Constitution: 10
Average.  He has had the occasional minor illness and a few small clone glitches, but nothing major.

Intelligence: 20-21 (before implants/remapping)
This is where Tarunik shines.  He is keenly analytical and has a strong mechanical aptitude as well, which has served him quite well over the years.  He applies this to combat, as well, and has been known to do some rather...odd...but effective things in order to gather data on his foes.

Wisdom: 15-16
He is above-average here as well.  His strong will is tempered by a learned judgement; his mastery of language and knowledge of tactics can make him seem wilier than he otherwise would be.  His intuition is generally good, albeit sometimes seemingly distorted due to his analytical nature.

Charisma: 7
His "dump" stat, if you could call it that.  He is friendly and approachable, at least at first, but has a serious lack of tact in difficult social situations and tends to avoid crowds.  He also tends to under-dress for occasions, eschewing formal clothing in all cases.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #18 on: 15 Dec 2011, 06:19 »

For the sake of not giving away too much about N'maro's personality and protect "RP to find out" details, I'm going to keep it brief.

Strength - 12
Healthy. Packs a fair punch.

Dexterity - 13
Expert marksman. Quick on his feet.

Constitution - 11
Durable, but not immortal.

Intelligence: 13
Effectively retains and analyses information.

Wisdom - 17
Lived a rich and varied life.

Charisma - 19
Eloquent but versatile

Edit: First time making this I based it on other people's posts. Having actually read the guidelines I've downgraded Dexterity, Constitution and Wisdom.
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2011, 18:56 by Nmaro Makari »
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #19 on: 15 Dec 2011, 12:32 »

I'm over 9000 in everything, obviously.

Verone

• Dirty Gurista Loyalist
  • Egger
  • :3
    • Veto Corp.Com
« Reply #20 on: 16 Dec 2011, 09:41 »

I've never played pen and paper stuff, so I have no idea how to gauge this Dx

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #21 on: 16 Dec 2011, 16:15 »

Essentially, heroes in DND are usually 95th precentile or higher individuals in most attributes, even their weakest ones. For example, the base attribute level is 8 or 9, that means you add your attribute points to these areas and improve them when you first create the character, past the 'baseline' level.

A 80th percentile proficiency in something would be similar to an attribute of 10. 90th, 12. 95th, 14, so on and so forth.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #22 on: 17 Dec 2011, 05:18 »

Me neither, and it could explain why I was like wtf when I saw almost everyone using averages of 14-15...

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #23 on: 17 Dec 2011, 08:26 »

It's already been brought up, but yeah, there's some difficulty in the system. For me, it's quantifying anything; what's the difference between a man with 14 INT and one with 15? But, after all it was made for a pen and paper RPG, so it's actually a system of qualification; you're basically expressing something abstract like "total strength" or "total wisdom" with something people can understand for comparison, namely numbers on a scale.

There are, after all, "epic" levels in D&D. At level 50, a character with 80 points of Charisma can successfully use a bluff check to convince an orc that he is in fact not an orc at all, but a potato. With 80 points of Dexterity he can run across a wall without making an audible noise. This is how we quantify the ridiculous.

Either way, I do like the D&D system, so I'll get around to this once I can figure out what positives there are in a man like Senn.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #24 on: 17 Dec 2011, 08:41 »

Avlynka Surionen (Ava)

Strength: 7. Ava is Sebiestor, but did grow up in the wilds of northern Mikramurka. She is weaker, physically, than most, due to her heritage and constant illness, but not so much that she is unable to get through day to day life. In a physical confrontation, Ava is clever, but often ineffective, so she avoids all physical fights at all costs.

Dexterity: 13. Ava has always posessed very quick reflexes and solid coordination. This is part of what makes her quite a good pilot, and is enhanced by the weekly Intaki dance classes she takes.

Constitution: 5. Ava is sick, almost constantly, and years of Vitoxin infection have taken their toll. She tires easily, sleeps a lot, and has some rather extensive respiratory problems.

Intelligence: 8. Ava isnt all that bright. She isnt "dumb", but she has almost no formal education of any type. While in "raw brainpower" she is certainly no lower than average, her lack of education is quite obvious to most who talk to her.

Wisdom: 16. Ava has had a lot of life experience, much of it under harsh, dangerous conditions, and has learned a lot about the world around her and the people in it. This innate sense to judge situations is another part of what makes her so successful as a pilot, and, of course, as a shaman.

Charisma: 12. She is rather good at talking to people, at listening, at giving advice, and has settled into a leadership role she would rather not have, but grudgingly accepts. She does lose her temper easily, a problem she has fought with her whole life.

If she had a D&D "class"? Bard of level 3 or 4. She is historian, storyteller, musician, crafter, mystic, and shaman... and has a bit of a larcenous streak. Perfect fit!

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #25 on: 17 Dec 2011, 16:59 »

When talking about D&D characters being in the 90th percentile, keep in mind capsuleers are likely in the 90th (if not 99th) percentile as well. Between the initial strenuous selection limits, pre-license training and various cybernetic modifications, we're a step above the rest of humanity in more ways than one.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #26 on: 17 Dec 2011, 17:14 »

Judging by your character sheet and especially your sec status, I would say Verone is a 4th level fighter with a specialty in mining...

(jk <3 )
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Verone

• Dirty Gurista Loyalist
  • Egger
  • :3
    • Veto Corp.Com
« Reply #27 on: 20 Dec 2011, 07:20 »

Judging by your character sheet and especially your sec status, I would say Verone is a 4th level fighter with a specialty in mining...

(jk <3 )

GTFO!!!11 <3

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #28 on: 20 Dec 2011, 23:26 »

Alright, why not, everyone I know is on UK schedule so I'm the only one awake. Some of 'em might take a little explanation, so bear with me. D:

STR 13: Senn was trained by the State to be a part of a military force that makes up for its small size with brutal training to harden each soldier. Although he suffers natural atrophy while in the pod, he maintains his regimen of exercise to this day - partly out of necessity for health, partly because it's all he knows. He'll hold his own in a fist fight.

DEX 13: Same story as above. Senn is a trained marksman with a pistol, agile and swift on his feet, and is familiar with his center of balance. During his life as a planetary criminal, he learned how to evade capture by outrunning and confusing his pursuers.

CON 16: This is where Senn really shines. Call it natural ability: he's been stabbed, shot, beaten, dropped off a building, broken bones, had his lung punctured, been struck by a PV, and he was still standing when it was time to become a capsuleer. He is also a doggedly determined individual (this is something I attribute from the "Fortitude" test, rather than the WIS score). Once he is given a goal, he will pursue it endlessly and complete it regardless of the consequence to himself or others.

INT 11: Senn's only real knowledge is in the fields of study given to all children of the State. He remembers it all, but not all of it is even relevant anymore, and he doesn't currently read for pleasure. Logic he can handle, but give him a lengthy math problem and he'll probably just ask why it's important.

WIS 9: This one is a little complicated - as stated above, Senn has a lot of willpower, but that's his only saving grace in this category. Physically he is highly alert and aware of his surroundings, but the education and environment of the KK orphanage he attended stunted his emotional development to a point of being equivalent to brain damage. He was mute through childhood, rarely understands social queues, knows little of the world outside his pod to this day, and, well... just try telling him a joke sometime. To counter these effects enough to make him useful to ANSH required cybernetic replacement of 55% of his natural brain; to reteach him naturally would have taken decades.

CHA 8: The Deteis with the robot eyes standing silently in the corner of the bar smoking and drinking soda. Yup, real lady's man, that one.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #29 on: 22 Dec 2011, 10:11 »

Essentially, heroes in DND are usually 95th precentile or higher individuals in most attributes, even their weakest ones. For example, the base attribute level is 8 or 9, that means you add your attribute points to these areas and improve them when you first create the character, past the 'baseline' level.

A 80th percentile proficiency in something would be similar to an attribute of 10. 90th, 12. 95th, 14, so on and so forth.

Maybe that's so in 4th Ed, which I haven't touched. In previous editions, however, it's distinctly not the case. "Average" scores are those from 9-12, weighted somewhat towards the bottom; that goes for your average human, gnoll, kobold, or goblin as much as for an adventurer. This has history going back as far as they've bothered giving monsters stats. As in:

Hill Giant
Frequency: Rare
Terrain: Wooded hills
Intelligence: Low (5-7)

(pulled off the top of my head from my recollection of the old 2nd Ed monster manual binders; not intended to be scrupulously exact)

Adventurers' strengths come from their training (class levels), not necessarily their native capabilities. Commoners, for example, have the same basic stats, but are stuck with an especially lame NPC class. A 10th-level Commoner (class, not social status) COULD have an Int of 18, and, thus, an impressive collection of extra skill points in 3rd Ed, but would still just be an inherently underpowered Commoner.

Edit:

Correction - "Average" is 8-11. I keep forgetting that 8 and 12 got themselves promoted an edition or two back.
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2011, 00:55 by Aria Jenneth »
Pages: 1 [2]