Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the higher levels of space stations are restricted to the elite, with capsuleers occupying the very top decks? (The Burning life p. 73)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Avoiding a Mary Sue? [Caldari]  (Read 5800 times)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
Re: Avoiding a Mary Sue? [Caldari]
« Reply #15 on: 19 Jun 2011, 02:14 »

HANDS OFF JOHN! D:<

What is this madness?! I am confused.  :eek:

I'm currently idling in-game at the moment, if anyone would like to take this conversation up in a real-time setting.

I think Hyasyoda - aligned Caldari may be fairly uncommon at the moment, which is why people are excited
\o/

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #16 on: 19 Jun 2011, 02:21 »

A suitable metaphor is fresh blood in a sea tank full of sharks.

Question and food for thought for you.

The question is, how familiar would you rate yourself with EVE's Prime Fiction? New player, vaguely aware, etc. Knowing where you stand precisely may help.

The food for thought is stereotypes and the Caldari way. A bad stereotype, I think for a Caldari, would be designing her to make her overtly unique. The Caldari share a lot with traditional eastern Asian societies in the sense of cultural uniformity. The better one fit's into the public machine, the better a citizen one is. This is not necessarily make the person bland though - Gallenteans are flamboyant and public, Caldari are stoic and private.

I've read most of the official chrons, and some of the short stories. I haven't read the novels. I've done a bit of digging into Caldari culture, and still look for more.

That's kinda what I was getting at though, for what you said. I want to avoid stereotypes, while not going too far and making it scream "HEY LOOK IM TOTALLY NOT YOUR TYPICAL CALDARI, LOOK AT ME IM SO SPECIAL AND UNIQUE LOL". I'm just trying to strike a balance.

You'll have better luck speaking with the more involved Caldari people (John Revenent [Ishukone], Dex Nederland [Lai Dai], others whom I am missing), for specific branches of Caldari culture and the divides each Megacorp makes. I'm not wholly up to speed on what they've made, outside of some public things like the unique Caldari language, etc. I live in Sansha land.

But, to offer more for you. It is entirely probable that your Caldari character, upon achieving a full Capsuleer license, would be eagerly exploiting her newfound freedom. Much as I hate to acknowledge it, when a person becomes a Capsuleer there is virtually less than a handful of laws that can restrict them - and even these can be outright ignored with impunity. It might be something of a wall banger for a traditional(?) Caldari to suddenly go AWOL for her personal desires - but that option is entirely there. A bird leaving the nest to see the forest before coming home - an approach one could take.

Worth considering is the nature of her contract/schooling purpose for her parent corporation. She may, for instance, be involved in Capsuleer-specific contractual work for security or mining. This can be represented in space through Agent missioning for the parent corporation (provided it is an in-game entity). So long as the contracts are fulfilled, what other business she has the parent corporation cannot truly interfere with.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #17 on: 19 Jun 2011, 02:25 »

It just made so much more sense to me to hail from that Corporation. Hyasyoda is extremely traditionalist and all about fitting in. Seems to me that a girl growing up in that kind of environment from day one (with no 'family' beyond the company itself) swings one of two ways. She either becomes exactly what they pressure you to be, and does indeed fit in and succeed; or she quietly rebels against tradition and becomes something of a maverick. I'm discounting the more negative possibilities like.. simply becoming a dissenter or dishonorably forced into exile.

So playing a character with that background leaves me room to be either traditionalist or a little too deviant in any given situation. It seems flexible.

It's just an idea I have.

Also, my standings among the range of Big Eight are highest with Hyasyoda thanks to some random storyline mission I pulled.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #18 on: 19 Jun 2011, 02:31 »

Worth considering is the nature of her contract/schooling purpose for her parent corporation. She may, for instance, be involved in Capsuleer-specific contractual work for security or mining. This can be represented in space through Agent missioning for the parent corporation (provided it is an in-game entity). So long as the contracts are fulfilled, what other business she has the parent corporation cannot truly interfere with.

Considering the wealth of service she's provided directly to the Caldari Navy and the multiple defense sorties she's flown with in defense of Caldari space from the Nation's Incursions, that's a lot of 'good for the State'. Even so, I should fix my standings with Hyasyoda itself in-game. CPF is fine though, sitting at #7 on my list.... after FedNavy and RepFleet. Okay, fine, I'll fix them both.

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #19 on: 19 Jun 2011, 05:25 »

HANDS OFF JOHN! D:<

What is this madness?! I am confused.  :eek:

I'm currently idling in-game at the moment, if anyone would like to take this conversation up in a real-time setting.

The Caldari RPers are falling over themselves to see who gets to claim you for themselves and put you to work in the spice mines of Malkalen, or whatever.

Sinjin Mokk

• Egger
  • One Kingdom, One King!
    • Dark Amarr
« Reply #20 on: 19 Jun 2011, 07:39 »

Agreed!

Have I mentioned how beatutiful Khanid is this time of year? You know, we do a lot of trading with the State...

:D

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #21 on: 19 Jun 2011, 14:30 »

Agreed!

Have I mentioned how beatutiful Khanid is this time of year? You know, we do a lot of trading with the State...

Trying to woo me into slavery, are ya? ;)

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #22 on: 19 Jun 2011, 14:31 »

The Caldari RPers are falling over themselves to see who gets to claim you for themselves and put you to work in the spice mines of Malkalen, or whatever.

Shhhhhh... I thought you Intaki were my friends, saying such lies will get you working in the spi... err nevermind.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #23 on: 19 Jun 2011, 14:40 »

Well, it's a dirty job, but somebody's gotta slave it.

The spice must flow.

Sinjin Mokk

• Egger
  • One Kingdom, One King!
    • Dark Amarr
« Reply #24 on: 19 Jun 2011, 22:35 »

Agreed!

Trying to woo me into slavery, are ya? ;)

You say that as if it's a bad thing...  8)

It's true though that the State and the Kingdom enjoy good trade relations.

1. Take an Amarr ship
2. Paint it black and strap rockets on it.
3. ...
4. PROFIT!

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #25 on: 20 Jun 2011, 08:10 »

You say that as if it's a bad thing...  8)

It's true though that the State and the Kingdom enjoy good trade relations.

1. Take an Amarr ship
3. ...
4. PROFIT!

1. Take an Amarr
3. ...
4. PROFIT!

The first thing that popped into my mind.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #26 on: 20 Jun 2011, 08:27 »

Quote from: Louella Dougans
I think Hyasyoda - aligned Caldari may be fairly uncommon at the moment, which is why people are excited

Just wait until someone from Wiyrkomi pops up.  Missiles will be fired.
« Last Edit: 20 Jun 2011, 08:29 by Hamish Grayson »

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #27 on: 20 Jun 2011, 08:32 »

Quote from: Louella Dougans

Just wait until someone from Wiyrkomi pops up.  Missiles will be fired.

Confirming an alt is cooking on that now.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #28 on: 20 Jun 2011, 08:57 »

Answering the topic title directly, I think the best way to pull a realistic/natural character of is basing it on what the universe would create, and now what you would like to create. For example, some of us like to dress our characters up in all sorts of gear. Fair enough. But for Seriphyn, a former corporal in the Federation Marines, who is used to gearing up in all sorts of complicated equipment, he keeps it very simple when off-duty, resigned to wearing the current Gallente options of t-shirts, casual leather trousers and trainers. This trend is common with service people IRL.

Fully embrace the world and fiction I say :3

Lyn Farel

« Reply #29 on: 20 Jun 2011, 13:36 »

Some food for thought :

Find little and interesting Eve Prime Fiction parts of secondary points here and there. Collect them.

Bind them to one or 2 RP archetypes (personnal example : Lyn is a scholar archetype, bookworm oriented). Can't find back Hamish link to RP archetypes and character building :/

Find some interesting/funny/uncommon little details that will add depth and originality to the character (stupid example : Character sleepwalks at night / personnal example : Lyn has a genetical chronic blood disease). Add them to the sauce.

Focus on the skills of your character. Depending on what you have picked on the above points, some might get naturally highlighted or well suited to underline them.

Focus on some key words for the personality of the character (examples : strong-willed / wicked / facetious / loyal / bitter / blasé / etc).

Add that to the sauce again.

Pick up flaws (with dumb and not subtle at all examples) :

- Ironic : a thief unable to stop himself from boasting about his deeds.
- Drama : a paladin so convinced of his own righteousness that he mechanically thinks that everything else is wrong and has to burn, falling lower everyday.
- Ignorant : an amarr that is unable to concieve egality, because his culture and education revolves around something opposed.
- Function : a technician not very good at his job.
Pages: 1 [2] 3