Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Kaalakiota, or KK, is the largest of the Caldari megacorporations, and was run by Tibus Heth.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Avoiding a Mary Sue? [Caldari]  (Read 5799 times)

Counciler

Avoiding a Mary Sue? [Caldari]
« on: 18 Jun 2011, 21:16 »

Hey there! New poster here on these forums. I'd love to get some input from some more experienced EVE-RolePlayers on how to avoid creating what would be considered a stereotypical Caldari Deteis Female.I would like to keep a flavor of my bloodline and race, but with a more worldly view. Less restrictive.

So far, all I have is that Katrina was born on Onitseru. Identified early in her youth as a potential for capsule training (I assume the militaristic and highly regimented State would test for these things early). I know what I want from EVE, and thus, I know what she wants. She wants to see it all, experience it all. She's curious, determined, and ambitious. She isn't at all restricted by the State anymore, not in thought or future, now that she has found herself freed and protected by the walls of her Capsule.

Is this too much of a Mary Sue? How could I improve it?

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Re: Avoiding a Mary Sue? [Caldari]
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2011, 21:25 »

Hey there! New poster here on these forums. I'd love to get some input from some more experienced EVE-RolePlayers on how to avoid creating what would be considered a stereotypical Caldari Deteis Female.I would like to keep a flavor of my bloodline and race, but with a more worldly view. Less restrictive.

So far, all I have is that Katrina was born on Onitseru. Identified early in her youth as a potential for capsule training (I assume the militaristic and highly regimented State would test for these things early). I know what I want from EVE, and thus, I know what she wants. She wants to see it all, experience it all. She's curious, determined, and ambitious. She isn't at all restricted by the State anymore, not in thought or future, now that she has found herself freed and protected by the walls of her Capsule.

Is this too much of a Mary Sue? How could I improve it?

Created a new account. This is me!

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2011, 21:51 »

That's, like, not Mary Sue at all.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2011, 21:57 »

Mary Sue is so Mary Sue.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2011, 22:04 »

No? Hmm... I might have had the wrong definition in my head about a Mary Sue. I just didn't want to be 'another typical Caldari'.

Well that's good to hear. I suppose I just need to flesh out the details then. I was only worried that maybe her background may have been overused. I'm new to the scene here, and don't really know what is common or uncommon.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2011, 22:16 »

I'm new to the scene here, and don't really know what is common or uncommon.

Common?  Why, space vampire lesbians, of course.

Hello, "normal" person.  :)  Which megacorp world did Katrina grow up in?

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2011, 22:17 »

Caldari are supposed to be typical. Don't you know what happens to the atypical ones?
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 18 Jun 2011, 22:41 »

Hello, "normal" person.  :)  Which megacorp world did Katrina grow up in?

Megacorp world? Well her education was sponsored by Hyasyoda Corporation, who promptly had her groomed for entrance into [SWA] as soon as they realized her latent Capsuleer potential.

Caldari are supposed to be typical. Don't you know what happens to the atypical ones?

I assume 'normal folk' get beaten down and exiled. Capsuleers on the other hand... wouldn't be bound by the same restrictions such as 'corporate paycheck' and 'a house to live in'. Katrina like the rest if her kind is ultra-rich, and has become so by her own means, not by the paychecks of her corporate sponsor.

My imagination of how she got to where she is tells me that she worked just as hard as anyone else would have to to earn her Capsule. Just because she was sponsored by her parent corporation and 'forced' into the immense luck and honor of being a Capsuleer.. doesn't mean she didn't have to work for it. In her own mind, she's earned the power and freedom she has now, and she's paid a lot of it back for the greater good of the State.

(Meaning, she's got her high standings with CONCORD, CEP, and CalNavy.... *carebear*)
« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2011, 22:44 by Katrina Oniseki »

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 18 Jun 2011, 22:44 »

sponsored by Hyasyoda Corporation

*squeals with excitement*

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 18 Jun 2011, 22:53 »

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #10 on: 18 Jun 2011, 22:55 »

Capsuleers are, in one sense, free from obligations once they have their pod, so there's no technical need to remain loyal to a corporation, nation, planet, etc. So, to refer back to the original question, no, I wouldn't consider that the quality of a Sue.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Varlerian

• Your friendly neighborhood entrepreneur
  • Clonejack
« Reply #11 on: 18 Jun 2011, 23:45 »

HANDS OFF JOHN! D:<

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 18 Jun 2011, 23:51 »

What is this madness?! I am confused.  :eek:

I'm currently idling in-game at the moment, if anyone would like to take this conversation up in a real-time setting.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #13 on: 19 Jun 2011, 01:06 »

What is this madness?! I am confused.  :eek:

I'm currently idling in-game at the moment, if anyone would like to take this conversation up in a real-time setting.

A suitable metaphor is fresh blood in a sea tank full of sharks.

Question and food for thought for you.

The question is, how familiar would you rate yourself with EVE's Prime Fiction? New player, vaguely aware, etc. Knowing where you stand precisely may help.

The food for thought is stereotypes and the Caldari way. A bad stereotype, I think for a Caldari, would be designing her to make her overtly unique. The Caldari share a lot with traditional eastern Asian societies in the sense of cultural uniformity. The better one fit's into the public machine, the better a citizen one is. This is not necessarily make the person bland though - Gallenteans are flamboyant and public, Caldari are stoic and private.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #14 on: 19 Jun 2011, 01:28 »

A suitable metaphor is fresh blood in a sea tank full of sharks.

Question and food for thought for you.

The question is, how familiar would you rate yourself with EVE's Prime Fiction? New player, vaguely aware, etc. Knowing where you stand precisely may help.

The food for thought is stereotypes and the Caldari way. A bad stereotype, I think for a Caldari, would be designing her to make her overtly unique. The Caldari share a lot with traditional eastern Asian societies in the sense of cultural uniformity. The better one fit's into the public machine, the better a citizen one is. This is not necessarily make the person bland though - Gallenteans are flamboyant and public, Caldari are stoic and private.

I've read most of the official chrons, and some of the short stories. I haven't read the novels. I've done a bit of digging into Caldari culture, and still look for more.

That's kinda what I was getting at though, for what you said. I want to avoid stereotypes, while not going too far and making it scream "HEY LOOK IM TOTALLY NOT YOUR TYPICAL CALDARI, LOOK AT ME IM SO SPECIAL AND UNIQUE LOL". I'm just trying to strike a balance.
Pages: [1] 2 3