Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Emperor Heideran VII died on 17.09YC105  of Turit Disease just two weeks after the publication of his opus 'Pax Amarria'.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: False Starts and Loose Ends  (Read 3853 times)

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
False Starts and Loose Ends
« on: 06 Dec 2010, 15:21 »

I'm a habitual restarter when it comes to roleplaying games.  I'm not entirely sure why I do so, but when playing something like Mass Effect, Baldur's Gate, the Elder Scrolls, or (yes) EVE, I tend to get only so far (several hours to several days) with a character before something catches my eye and the possibilities offered by another race/class/background jump out at me and beg that I start over from that perspective or with that skill set.  I also tend to be overly particular about a character's appearance and stats.  So for all the fun I have using them, character creators are the bane of my gaming existence.

In EVE, this has been incredibly destructive to my overall in-space abilities as skill point advancement is a more or less set progression.  The characters that I've finally found a home in were rolled in May of this year, ten months after I first picked up the game.  While I've learned a tremendous amount about gameplay and the backstory, my highest SP avatar just hit 10mil a couple weeks ago.  Thankfully, I know I'll stick with this batch, but there are still times when a character concept gets into my head and I'm happy I can't login to the client right now for fear of what I might do.

Along the way I've left a lot of false starts in my own storylines that just didn't have the magnetism to keep me engaged when a new possibility sauntered by.  I'm curious if any of you have had similar experiences.  How long did it take you to find your footing in New Eden?  Anybody else out there find it hard to stick with one character or was it love at first trial account?  I'm most curious about those of you who have been playing one character since the early years.  How has your approach to playing the character changed over time?  I still see my characters basically as puppets that I use to tell a story.  How do you view yours and how did you come to inhabit that paradigm?

Bong-cha Jones

• New Jin Mei
  • Egger
Re: False Starts and Loose Ends
« Reply #1 on: 06 Dec 2010, 15:27 »

I have a dead alt, a current alt I played for a few months about a year ago and honestly?  I'm still finding my footing.  I waffle regularly on whether or not I should keep playing Simon, but his skill points have kept me from switching so far; I recently broke 20 million.  If I had to do it all over again, I probably would have built something else.
Formerly Simon Coal.

Vieve

« Reply #2 on: 06 Dec 2010, 15:50 »

Anybody else out there find it hard to stick with one character or was it love at first trial account?

I played Eve off and on for a year with assorted (disposable and disposed) Caldari alts before I got fed up and made a Gallente one.  That was Vieve, and heaven help me, I decided to keep her after I got shanghaied into RP.   I've created oodles of alts since.  A couple-ish of those have become alternate mains, but the majority of them were BSO ideas that lost the shiny after a short while.

And oh yus, I see them pretty much all as puppets.

Chell Charon

• Egger
  • IC: Main> Lord Crow Alts> Too many
« Reply #3 on: 06 Dec 2010, 15:53 »

I just have too many ideas to fit into one character.

No matter the game/world/ruleset.

End result might be 20 ideas that look like characters, or few great characters. -Never know until after the stories have been told.
1. Think what you are about to say.
2. Know why you are about to speak up.
-This is here for me, I need the reminder.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #4 on: 06 Dec 2010, 16:11 »

This absolutely describes me. I have something like 12 different characters in EVE, only a handful of which have trained more than one or two months (and this doesn't count throwaway alts to hold a CEO position). And of those, I probably have at least 5 with 5m SP or more. The same happens to me in other games, because I love concept characters: "oh I would love a Nefantar spiritualist," or "how about a Thukker smuggler?" or "ooh, a Seb tinker, but male this time..."

This is also why my skill training even on Casiella is all over the place.

Chell Charon

• Egger
  • IC: Main> Lord Crow Alts> Too many
« Reply #5 on: 06 Dec 2010, 16:21 »

This is also why my skill training even on Casiella is all over the place.

Skill Attention Deficit.
1. Think what you are about to say.
2. Know why you are about to speak up.
-This is here for me, I need the reminder.

Vikarion

« Reply #6 on: 06 Dec 2010, 18:49 »

No, Vikarion is my main, has been my main, and, aside from the occasional word in corp chat or IGS, is the only character I RP with.

...mostly.

Ok, well, I'm just not telling anyone my other RP characters, ok?!  :P

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 06 Dec 2010, 18:58 »

I have periodically created one of Esna's slave-assistants as an RP-only character before biomassing her soon after. I do it less for the "this storyline looks cool" bit and more for the "Hrm, well I wonder what happens if I poke X with a different character, to get their reaction aside from the already-influenced reaction to Esna." It's not something I'd think about doing in the long term, though.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #8 on: 06 Dec 2010, 19:12 »

I've had a couple of characters I created and didn't end up using a lot. I also have Hilion, my pirate character, who I wish I RPed with and played more.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #9 on: 06 Dec 2010, 21:00 »

Demented Pilot, is that you???

Arvo Katsuya

• Noble Appliance
  • Egger
« Reply #10 on: 06 Dec 2010, 21:34 »

Demented Pilot, is that you???

I don't know. He still has a slot or two available amongst those accounts of his, and his time offline doing things would be the perfect alibi to do some quality IGS trolling. ;)

Vikarion

« Reply #11 on: 06 Dec 2010, 21:38 »

Demented pilot isn't mine.

But does everyone remember Keira Alidaar, the crazy Gallente calling for Caldari genocide? Yeah. That was me. As have been some other...things. Which I'm not sharing.

:twisted:

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #12 on: 06 Dec 2010, 22:44 »

Ken, I'm trying to work out whether you're asking about character monogamy: you keep being attracted and distracted by the new and the possible, and wonder whether settling down with a main for a long-term story with some serious skill training has advantages, and how people find that.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #13 on: 07 Dec 2010, 00:22 »

I've had a couple of characters I created and didn't end up using a lot. I also have Hilion, my pirate character, who I wish I RPed with and played more.

Require more Malaneth and Hilion shenanigans.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #14 on: 07 Dec 2010, 06:56 »

<3 Hilion. And if a character is more enjoyable to play...
Pages: [1] 2