Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That not all slaves are subjected to the Vitoc treatment?  Read more about the Vitoc method here.

Author Topic: Free Form Combat  (Read 1652 times)

Chell Charon

• Egger
  • IC: Main> Lord Crow Alts> Too many
Free Form Combat
« on: 10 Nov 2010, 02:56 »

This comes here?

I had to create this to give Cold Fracture a history and figured if I write it down someone else might use it as well.

Free Form Combat originates from street fights, cage matches and death matches. Enhanced Free Form Combatants are cybernetically (and some of the new guard may be genetically) enhanced humans voluntarily entering real and possibly lethal combat.

Showmanship outside the fight is a big part of the accepted style. Showmanship in a fight will earn fame if successful and ridicule when attempts at it fail.

All FFC fights are organized in lowsec space, simply because lowsec authorities are more likely to let small "misunderstandings" of empire laws slide.

There are hundreds if not thousands fight promoters throughout the cluster, titles range from planets to systems and even regional ones. There is good chance for several promoters be offering the same title AFFC, NFFC and IFFC Intaki championships for instance. -The same fighters may even be competing for all the local titles.

For a promoter there are two surefire ways to find themselves bereft of fighters. First is not paying for the fighters on work medical bills. And second is trying to create EVE cluster Championship title. -There are about a dozen EVE championships in circuit at any given time. Such titles are usually scorned by both the famous fighters as well as fans.

FFC circuit has only few rules for it to be FFC.

1. Only those capable of signing legally binding contract may enter a fight.
2. Anyone claiming to organize FFC in highsec can look forward to a visit from regional and system champions and promoters, "checking out the new outfit". Usually such highsec-promoters find it hard to keep their talent healthy.
3. Only Enhanced fighters may enter.

Large number of unwritten rules exist, likely to be different from promotion to promotion. Most common ones include, respect and aid across promotional boundaries between the fighters and even promoters.

Usually criminal organizations have been content on acting as betting agencies and supplying retiring and/or rehabilitating Fighters with opportunities for earning extra income.

Becoming an EFFC is an expensive career choice, both in beginning enhancements and accruing later medical expenses. Fighters can earn a decent living but especially the most famous/notorious are likely to have their fight income fall far behind on the advertisements and sponsorships money they can attract.

FFC is not the only style of fight promotion in EVE let alone the most popular, it however is considered by enthusiasts as one of the purer forms out there. Outside of sanctioned death matches, deaths are surprisingly rare. And even Death matches have the submissions which let both fighters live.
1. Think what you are about to say.
2. Know why you are about to speak up.
-This is here for me, I need the reminder.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Re: Free Form Combat
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2010, 05:18 »

:) Heh, actually, I had Seriphyn's primary interest in the EVE version of MMA, which I believe you've listed here as FFC, which is a term I think I'd use to distant it from IRL. I'd like to collab with you on this, as Seri's martial arts is FFC stuff (more fitting for his character than some refined, kung fu Bruce Lee Jin-Mei stuff), particularly in how and where its participated; I didn't deem it as "illegal" or to take place in lowsec for example, but I'm sure we could work that out :3

Isobel Mitar

• Egger
« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2010, 06:57 »

As possibly related PF about the legality of fighting and duels to the death in Federation:

There was a news storyline a few years ago where two Minmatar living in Federation tried to have an official, mutually agreed-on duel to the death over clan leadership. The news arc was about how the Gallente were not thrilled over such plans.

I remember the incident mainly because some respectable Republic Matari were suitably outraged over Federation not minding their own business, and being overly meddlesome with what is clearly a clan internal matter and nothing a government should worry about. :P

I unfortunately can't remember all details. I'll try to find the newspieces.

Edited, links:
http://www.eveonline.com/mb/news.asp?nid=1534
http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=523243

I am not sure if that is the only newspiece or if there were others.
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2010, 07:13 by Isobel Mitar »

Chell Charon

• Egger
  • IC: Main> Lord Crow Alts> Too many
« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2010, 17:24 »

Actually Seri, I'm thinking it's likely to be the difference between practicing/training -for instance Brazilian-Jujitsu (sc?)-  and trying to have a no-holds barred tournament for the practitioners of the same.

Also the fact that the fighters with better name recognition are likely to travel between regions, it would be easier to avoid public backlash by not having the Brutor fighting in Amarr Highsec against some nobles lover?  ;)

At least in lowsec the Brutor should have a chance to escape  :twisted:
1. Think what you are about to say.
2. Know why you are about to speak up.
-This is here for me, I need the reminder.

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #4 on: 28 Nov 2010, 23:24 »

hmm. dont know how i missed this(probably because i dont log on as mch as i sould), but i like the idea.

Can caspusleers participate, and do they have a womens division or is it mixed?
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #5 on: 29 Nov 2010, 00:03 »

Ku-mite!

Ku-mite!

Ku-mite!

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!