Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That small colony hangars cannot have comprehensive hangar security systems due to the need to scramble forces quickly? (The Burning Life p. 78)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Three new chrons?  (Read 8516 times)

Kybernetes Moros

Re: Three new chrons?
« Reply #60 on: 07 May 2012, 06:57 »

Yeah; my way of making sense of the chronicle has hinged heavily on unreliable narration and the narrator's attempt to win over a capsuleer -- who are a bit notorious in the fiction for not having the greatest of connections to the world around them, in some cases. Whether not taking the chronicles as the word of God is what was intended or not, I'm unsure, but I've found some to make much more sense that way.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #61 on: 07 May 2012, 11:38 »

I was going with the idea of:

1. The Pax Ammarria is Bad News

2. The reason it is bad news isn't exactly what is stated in the chronicle, but the story in the chronicle is a theory that has come up, to explain some goings on.

To explain:

The notion of a central press printing everything is somewhat inefficient, given the size and scope of the Empire (40% of all inhabitable space or thereabouts, not including Mandate & Kingdom).

Instead, it is a network of local printers, but it is still "the court chamberlain's personal press", in the same manner of doing things as occurs in one of the Amarr COSMOS missions: Saint Ageroth being wrapped in a few thousand death shrouds, so that many different shrines can have "the genuine death shroud of Saint Ageroth"

So... during the printing process, one of the localised printers, made The Extra M, and as a result there was an Investigation.

And it was found that the local printer was also distributing Seditious Literature (gasp!), including things not too dissimilar to the http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Fraudulent_Pax_Amarria

And, subsequent investigations find cultists, good old Sani Sabiks, hence, the Theology Council assault troopers.

Anyone with the Pax Ammarria, may be a Sani Sabik, according to the Investigation, Or a sympathiser. Or some other kind of seditious person, the nature of their treasonous heresy will be determined when they are found guilty at trial (they are always guilty).

So... the Pax Ammarria is Bad News, but the reasons why it is Bad News are Wildly Speculated About.

Least, that's how I'm interpreting it :)
\o/

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #62 on: 07 May 2012, 14:21 »

Yeah; my way of making sense of the chronicle has hinged heavily on unreliable narration and the narrator's attempt to win over a capsuleer -- who are a bit notorious in the fiction for not having the greatest of connections to the world around them, in some cases. Whether not taking the chronicles as the word of God is what was intended or not, I'm unsure, but I've found some to make much more sense that way.

At Fan Fest I asked for more unreliable narrator story stuff - specifically stuff that was "true" from one point of view that contradicted other stuff that was "true" from another point of view.

Abraxas specifically said they wanted to avoid unreliable narrator stuff, I think because they had enough difficulty keeping everything straight when it could be taken at face value, and trying to keep it straight when it was intentionally biased would make life for them even harder.

I also think they reserved the right to make stuff unreliable if it made the story better... so I'm not sure what my conclusion is :(
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #63 on: 08 May 2012, 00:49 »

Given some of Abraxas' recent comments in the related EVE-O forum thread, I think it's fairly safe to say that this story was meant to be a deliberate combination of unreliable narrator, tongue-in-cheek amusement, and that when, in Greyscale's words, we read of something as absurd as orbital bombardment to destroy settlements even suspected of harboring a book with a single mispelling, we should be reasonable enough to roll our eyes, say "yeah right", chuckle and move on.

Poe's law was fully in effect here, and I guess the point was missed the point.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #64 on: 08 May 2012, 04:10 »

The trouble arises when there's multiple styles mixed within the same lot. Of course, one might be expected to be able to figure out all by themselves what is caricatyred, what is "hearsay" and where we have Word-of-God (apply plural as you feel inclined), but the practice is a bit more difficult.

Specially when we already have had a few instances of "factual" text gone thru the QA which are written from the point of view of Amarr Empire = Imperium of Mankind.

(Though yes, I did find the discussed chronicle amusing. Not as amusing as ponies, though.)

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #65 on: 08 May 2012, 10:28 »

Oh certainly, and in my response to Abraxas I pointed out that there very much has been enough stereotyping of Amarr that it's not completely crazy for people to look at this and assume it's serious. Mainly, though, I'm glad this story isn't part of it.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #66 on: 08 May 2012, 12:20 »

Of course, in the real world places have been bombed and/or missiled into oblivion because it was believed a terrorist was there. Pity about the bystanders.

So maybe orbital strikes aren't so crazy an idea after all?
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #67 on: 09 May 2012, 15:19 »

Of course, in the real world places have been bombed and/or missiled into oblivion because it was believed a terrorist was there. Pity about the bystanders.

These cases were done by outsiders bombing people they did not give two shits about. I'd like to see, say, the US bomb Alabama because a terrorist MIGHT be hiding there. More likely they will consider other options. The over-reaction and stupidity assumed for the Amarr are absurd here. Highly unreliable narrator, fanciful lies and idiotic bullshit is what I'll assume from this in and out of character whenever this pops up in future. It already has and it will again, I'm sure.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #68 on: 09 May 2012, 17:39 »

These cases were done by outsiders bombing people they did not give two shits about. I'd like to see, say, the US bomb Alabama because a terrorist MIGHT be hiding there. More likely they will consider other options. The over-reaction and stupidity assumed for the Amarr are absurd here. Highly unreliable narrator, fanciful lies and idiotic bullshit is what I'll assume from this in and out of character whenever this pops up in future. It already has and it will again, I'm sure.

That can be done easily inside an empire. Consider, the troops used for the Tianemen square protest where deliberately brought in from another province, and would have had trouble speaking to the protestors. In more ancient times Roman auxilliaries used to be posted to places in the Empire far away from home. Ideally this would mean less empathy with the locals.

To be honest though, I'm only being devil's advocate here. The story in the chronicle does seem unlikely to me as well.
« Last Edit: 09 May 2012, 17:41 by Arnulf Ogunkoya »
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #69 on: 10 May 2012, 08:58 »

These cases were done by outsiders bombing people they did not give two shits about. I'd like to see, say, the US bomb Alabama because a terrorist MIGHT be hiding there.

I'd like to see the US bomb Alabama because well... it's Alabama.

I think carpet-bombing the red states would do the US a lot of good. :|

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #70 on: 10 May 2012, 10:37 »

These cases were done by outsiders bombing people they did not give two shits about. I'd like to see, say, the US bomb Alabama because a terrorist MIGHT be hiding there.

I'd like to see the US bomb Alabama because well... it's Alabama.

I think carpet-bombing the red states would do the US a lot of good. :|

I would not be opposed to the carpet-bombing of Jesusland so that the rest of the states could have an excuse to go join Canadia.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]