Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The number of young, idealistic scientists found in Verge Vendor is disproportionately high? (Region Description)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Trivializing Cloning  (Read 3598 times)

Reyd Karris

Re: Trivializing Cloning
« Reply #15 on: 28 Sep 2013, 20:59 »

I did link to this thread in another post today.  Not sure why it would mark the thread new, but perhaps it did.
That might be it. I also had like 20 tabs open too; I might have clicked on that thread, clicked on the link, and somehow thought that was the thread I was reading.

lol, either way this is an interesting thread. :)

Unsure of why it appeared new to you, Reyd, but here's some updates on stuff that was mentioned earlier on in this thread:

- DUST-style cloning is still entirely separate from capsuleer cloning, as in you cannot CANNOT CANNOT be a DUSTie and a capsuleer at the same time. In some ways, DUST cloning seems to be even more limited than the capsule variety (though since they've cleared up the whole angry-sleeper-living-in-your-head thing, cost and short range seem to be the only limiters).

- Softscan cloning still exists in a PF grey zone. Lots of 'we will neither confirm nor deny' comments from CCP on this topic.

- Neither Amarr nor Caldari appear to have adopted widespread cloning.

- IIRC, CCP Falcon made some noise along the lines of 'the blood raider mass cloning thingies are not accurate to our current view on PF'. They're still ingame, though, because the only thing harder than getting CCP to remove stuff from the game is getting them to remove stuff from the game for RP reasons.
Yep, all points I've brought up to some friends in other games when discussing EVE.

Some stuff (specifically the Sleeper tech issue) I don't agree with simply from a biology standpoint and general common sense standpoint. Other aspects don't make sense if you read the books; like Capsuleer compatibility not just being an issue of genetics but more physiology and intellectual capacity. Note, in TEA, it was stated bluntly by Tony that Heth wasn't a capsuleer because he was simply too stupid. Heth even looks at some spreadsheets and earning reports and goes, "what the fuck is this shit?" To me, this makes sense.

The deciding factor with Capsule tech is more mental; dealing with an exocortex without Jovian physiology; physiology that incorporates variations of the Sleeper "fifth lobe".

The other thing; reading between the lines, Jamyl's "Sleeper tech" in her head isn't really Sleeper tech but Jovian tech. The improved versions of the DUST soldier technology is most likely just a combination of that technology being reverse engineered from Jovian tech recovered from Vak'Atioth.

Long and the short of it, while I'll concede this particular literary conceit, Capsule and DUST tech not being compatible is pseudo-scientific nonsense. DUST tech with Capsule tech would mean the whole flash scanning tech (added later by the Empires, btw) could be taken out of the capsule! Now, is it possible that the DUST has it's own physiological requirements? If so, then we've got whole other issues than the tech not being compatible, but that of the person being compatible. Again, if one tech used by Jove is compatible, why not the other? Wouldn't the combination of the two technologies actually increase compatibility?

I know, stretching, and going into more pseudo-science. Still, it stretches my suspension of disbelief, but I'm willing to let that go.

I just don't think it honestly holds up, unless the Capsule has specific security safety measures to keep the odd Sleeper Super AI from doing... something... with a capsule. Because let's face it, it's not like a Capsule can directly interface with other Capsules and infect other Capsuleers, except in the whole "memetic warfare" sense.

:bash:

So... I dont' think these advancements are cheapening human life, but more cheapening the accomplishments of humans in EVE (and by extension, those of the players). None of these advances are from "Modern" EVE humans, they're from super advanced races of humans. It's like suggesting that humans didn't develop nuclear technology but it was handed to us by aliens; or that ancient cultures didn't build structures like the pyramids, aliens did.

Literary conceit aside, it's like the movie Prometheus. Awesome origin story, bad science. Really bad science. Like, "Let's throw logic and reason dating back to Plato out the window because gosh darnit, this story is going to be EPIC!"

...while using references to Plato to spice up dialogue.

Sorry, /rant.

:D
« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2013, 21:02 by Reyd Karris »

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing
Re: Trivializing Cloning
« Reply #16 on: 29 Sep 2013, 08:17 »

IIRC, CCP Falcon made some noise along the lines of 'the blood raider mass cloning thingies are not accurate to our current view on PF'. They're still ingame, though, because the only thing harder than getting CCP to remove stuff from the game is getting them to remove stuff from the game for RP reasons.

What ? Do you have a link ? This directly impacts on stuff we do.  :|
The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.
Pages: 1 [2]