Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the Serpentis stole a Federation Navy Nyx, here is the  news item

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Crews (fuuuuuuuuu!)  (Read 7258 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Crews (fuuuuuuuuu!)
« on: 30 Mar 2011, 08:19 »

http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1483832&page=1#19

Quote from: CCP Delegate Zero
Those who attended TonyG's Novel/IP talk at FanFest (Words, Words, Words) will recall he showed a slide about crew, detailing NPC ship crewing and capsuleer ship crewing per class, racial modifiers on numbers, total capacity (crew + passengers) and survival rates when considering a combat between two vessels of the same class. (Because as Tony said, if a battleship takes a hit from a Titan doomsday beam no-one is getting out alive. Survival is situational but at least an average can be considered.)

Tony also stated the information would be published fairly soon for all to access. The FanFest talk was its first public domain unveiling, so to speak. The info has been used behind the scenes to inform canon material for quite some time.

Look out for it when it comes. Can't give a firm date but we've not forgotten the craving you guys have for info on crew.

Omnononomonomonomonomonm

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
Re: Crews (fuuuuuuuuu!)
« Reply #1 on: 30 Mar 2011, 08:34 »

Wonderful to have attention paid to the details, especially on a topic as sadly under-emphasized as crews!

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #2 on: 30 Mar 2011, 08:49 »

Do we think there'll be a mechanic behind this or just story content? I don't mind either way, just curious.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #3 on: 30 Mar 2011, 08:56 »

This is the sort of thing that we need to see.

But TonyG doing it makes me worried.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #4 on: 30 Mar 2011, 09:06 »

This is the sort of thing that we need to see.

But TonyG doing it makes me worried.

On the other hand, it could mean someone replaced the broken lightbulb in his head. :s

Glad to see that there's some official PF regarding numbers and survival rates somewhere, and that they'll be released to us soon™.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #5 on: 30 Mar 2011, 12:09 »

Makes me hope (uh oh) that they'll do something with this. Perhaps have it so that a crew gains experience (which you could use to, say, counter heat buildup or something) over time. When you lose a ship, you'll lose a portion of this experienced crew, and thus lose whatever bonus they provide.

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #6 on: 30 Mar 2011, 12:15 »

Makes me hope (uh oh) that they'll do something with this. Perhaps have it so that a crew gains experience (which you could use to, say, counter heat buildup or something) over time. When you lose a ship, you'll lose a portion of this experienced crew, and thus lose whatever bonus they provide.

That would be such a good idea and so awesome that I doubt it will ever happen.  :D
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Orthic

• Wetgraver
« Reply #7 on: 30 Mar 2011, 12:59 »

Awesome as that idea is, it seems like it would run counter to the way eve runs. What I mean: training is passive. No amount of grinding is going to get me better at flying my ships (numerically). Something like this would mean that grinding provided a tangible benefit (Normally all you can get for it is money, which is ostensibly available to anyone).

That said, it would be nice for ships to improve as you used them, but would you make it strictly pvp? Would my pve ships improve? Could I make my pvp ships better by ratting a lot in them?

..this is a frustratingly cool idea ...

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #8 on: 30 Mar 2011, 13:08 »

While the idea is very cool, like it's been said already, that would introduce a grinding element to Eve. Not too enamored with that aspect of the idea.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #9 on: 30 Mar 2011, 13:24 »

I'd more like to see crews as a module you could purchase. LP for upgraded faction crews, etc.

The Sansha folks could have fun with it.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #10 on: 30 Mar 2011, 13:35 »

I'd more like to see crews as a module you could purchase. LP for upgraded faction crews, etc.

The Sansha folks could have fun with it.

Damn right, now I'll be able to pull harvest figures from all our kills.

Oh man this is gonna be awesome (although buying all the slaves off the market will be annoying)

Edit; or if they become a potential drop by salvaging (large units of surviving crew, etc...)
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2011, 13:37 by Ghost Hunter »
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Desiderya

« Reply #11 on: 30 Mar 2011, 13:38 »

No, no, full sets of crew modules, usage of which builds up stress ( similar to heat ) that can be reduced with Tobacco ( long term consequences ) or Spirits ( short & long term consequences ) inflight. The new spa/red light district station service helps when docked.

Seriously, I don't expect it to be more than just background informations. Thinking about implementing crews as a gameplay element is tempting, but the huge point about capsules, and thus capsuleers, is the fact that they don't rely on a crew for basically every really important aspect of navigation, engineering and combat.
But hey, any little thing is welcome, I just wouldn't expect too much.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #12 on: 30 Mar 2011, 13:41 »

No, no, full sets of crew modules, usage of which builds up stress ( similar to heat ) that can be reduced with Tobacco ( long term consequences ) or Spirits ( short & long term consequences ) inflight. The new spa/red light district station service helps when docked.

Seriously, I don't expect it to be more than just background informations. Thinking about implementing crews as a gameplay element is tempting, but the huge point about capsules, and thus capsuleers, is the fact that they don't rely on a crew for basically every really important aspect of navigation, engineering and combat.
But hey, any little thing is welcome, I just wouldn't expect too much.

Point of interest though. As Capsule technology advances (T3 ships being the latest at the moment), the crew either becomes obsolete or advances with the Capsule. Crew is not synonymous with human life, mind you.

So the trick question is, at what point do the capsule and crew become interchangeable with one another?
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #13 on: 30 Mar 2011, 13:45 »

I didn't read the idea as requiring use. It could easily be just as passive as skill gain. But yes! Reload speed boost pleeeze.

Anyways, props to TonyG and his team for doing useful things.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 30 Mar 2011, 15:10 »

I would just be happy with a crew slot, similar to a rigging slot of something.  "Experienced engineers" give you a bonus to repping or cap usage, "war college graduates" give some small combat bonus, "onboard scientists" help with hacking or scanning or whatever.  Could even have "tech 2" or "faction" crews.  I mean, having "Angel smugglers" reduce your sig radius, or add to ship speed.

Would be at least a nod to crews being something to consider without bringing a generic MMO experience element to the game.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov
Pages: [1] 2 3 4