Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That "gods and spirits" is a popular Achura and Minmatar expression of disbelief?

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Elusenian government  (Read 5165 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: Elusenian government
« Reply #15 on: 14 Aug 2013, 13:05 »

I find it more gritty with the margin. That can be reduced to 1 or 2% because of AI and automation coupled with prediction programs, but you will hardly control demographics that precisely in Eve I believe.

It's funnier to have people failing in the cracks imo.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #16 on: 14 Aug 2013, 13:53 »

How is it that one person gets to live in any given house, and not another person? Are they assigned by a bureau of housing?

I don't picture it any more complicated than purchasing the house according to market value.

How does it deal with the inevitable corruption? Especially as everything becomes centralized within the single corporation, you'd tend to see that arise.

We shall see!

How do you avoid "pocket empire" situations. Most large corporations either succumb to this (when I was at Microsoft, for instance, the Windows and Office groups used to run roughshod over other groups, co-opting their projects and the like in their own interests. Within those groups, of course, were a bazillion smaller groups that were all competing with one another in fairly disfunctional ways).

This may just have to become a feature of Elusenia, especially as a direct democracy.

If I'm random Federation citizen with job skills in, say, nanotechnological engineering, why would I consider moving to Elusenian? If I worked for Creodron, I could save up money and buy my own home and not have to worry about simply losing it should I decide to go work for Roden. The rewards of employment with Elusenia would have to be much greater in order to compensate for that.

Elusenia is founded for a specific purpose with a specific ideology. Since it's the project of a humanitarian organization, it is assumed everyone is consenting to that goal (the corporate republic thing). The primary benefits is that you're dealing with a relatively small entity that is hyperfocused in a small land area, unlike CreoDron and Roden which are massive entities.

If I'm married, would my husband have to get a job at Elusenia in order to come live there with me? If not, he'd probably still have to give up his job - all the jobs there are Elusenian jobs, after all. If we liked it, and had children, would they have to work for Elusenia or leave upon reaching majority? What about my elderly mother who I'd like to come live with us?

Easy enough; family of employees are welcome. Will need to work a bit more on the franchise rules.

Elusenia is not meant to be exceptional, unique, or anything. It's just another Alpha grade settlement on the Fed's scale. I'm sure other similarly prosperous places exist in the Fed.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #17 on: 14 Aug 2013, 14:37 »

From what I understand of the Federation's grading scale, the primary difference between Alpha and Beta is how much influence the city has over interstellar politics.

I'm not entirely sure or convinced how Elusenia qualifies as an Alpha, rather than a Beta (if any grade at all). I'm not trying to be a spoil-sport, but how can something created within the last year already qualify at the absolute highest levels of influence and power? How could a new town compete with something like New York City or Tokyo or Berlin? It can't, in the real world, no matter how much money is poured into it.

Can we really assume that Elusenia would even have a grade at all, as young as it is? Perhaps in a few years, it might be given a grade after Federation inspectors come in to wander the city?

On to the specifics, can we really assume that Elusenia is known across the entire cluster by name, without needing to specify Seriphyn or Destiny Foundation? Can we assume that a high profile celebrity living in the heart of Caille would know what Elusenia is? Would the average Federation citizen know?

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #18 on: 14 Aug 2013, 14:48 »

Good point, Kat. One should expect better from a Fed RPer!

In which case, it would probably be lumped into 'megaproject startups', since its level of urbanization is a bit higher than the mental image i have of 'colonial'. Ofc it might be synonymous. Actually, 'megaproject' probably refers to something planetwide, with space elevators or whatever. So 'colonial startup' it is.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #19 on: 14 Aug 2013, 17:06 »

Oh, but think how cool a Megaproject Arcology Startup would be!

Ollie

• Egger
« Reply #20 on: 14 Aug 2013, 20:51 »

In my opinion the only reason that Nation can approach a post-scarcity living standard for it's citizens is because most of its workers ARE drones, literally.

The Culture gets away with having a consumerist post-scarcity culture by having matter and energy be effectively equivalent and by having access to limitless energy though AM and 'hypersphere' engineering.

Meanwhile, back in Eve, we're still mining Asteroids for ore and the most new-fangled form of energy generation is harnessing the gravitic grid by creating pocket-singularities. (seriously, doesn't that creep anyone else out?) But only one of the Factions uses that - the others use Fusion or even, horror of horrors, Fission powerplants.

Absolutely see your point(s), Pieter. Re: Nation/literal drones - yes and ... no. :)

I'm not sure if it's actually echoed anywhere in PF but I've always liked the Nation-loyalist's approach that the Sansha 'mind control' implants are a lot more subtle than a simple plug-n-play automated workforce . There's a couple of pieces in the fiction board on these forums that sum up what those implants are IMO - and it's far more creepy than just 'drones'.

Also, TCMCs are a part of PF which opens up a wider view of how New Eden humanity might function differently to 21st century us.

Anyway, back on topic ...

I find it more gritty with the margin. That can be reduced to 1 or 2% because of AI and automation coupled with prediction programs, but you will hardly control demographics that precisely in Eve I believe.

It's funnier to have people failing in the cracks imo.

I guess my point was that because of these technologies, the concept of a section of civilisation approaching a society of the sort Elusenia proposes to be certainly isn't far-fetched enough to interfere with immersion. My other point was not to get hung up on numbers that are based on 21st century figures because in terms of our ability to speculate based on current tech/systems we are to New Eden what cavemen trying to figure out the future uses of fire would be to us.

Ultimately it doesn't matter whether it's 95%, 98%, 99.9% or somewhere in between - we're not trying to create SimCity: New Eden, we're just trying to create a backdrop that suspends disbelief enough to set our RP against. And, as you said, have fun doing so.

On to the specifics, can we really assume that Elusenia is known across the entire cluster by name, without needing to specify Seriphyn or Destiny Foundation? Can we assume that a high profile celebrity living in the heart of Caille would know what Elusenia is? Would the average Federation citizen know?

Well, Seriphyn's a war hero and might be expected to have a fairly high profile I suppose. I think your point's a valid one though - guess it depends on how good their marketing and human resources/recruitment departments are :)

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #21 on: 15 Aug 2013, 00:30 »

What's the sell-by date on celebrity in the Federation though? Not wanting to put the boots to Seri's ego, but I reckon his daughter is probably a household word by now, whilst his own career is probably remembered best by Veterans and Military Otaku at this point.

Seriously. Use his daughter as the draw, not Seriphyn. She probably already has a manufactured profile and reputation. AND an enormous fanbase.

Laurentis Thiesant

• Egger
« Reply #22 on: 15 Aug 2013, 00:44 »

What's the sell-by date on celebrity in the Federation though? Not wanting to put the boots to Seri's ego, but I reckon his daughter is probably a household word by now, whilst his own career is probably remembered best by Veterans and Military Otaku at this point.

Seriously. Use his daughter as the draw, not Seriphyn. She probably already has a manufactured profile and reputation. AND an enormous fanbase.

I'd say any of the Inhonores' are known around the cluster. One of the little 'did you know' facts on this very forum note that non-capsuleer viewing of the IGS is considered a spectator sport of sorts. Elusenia has been mentioned there several times, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were entire community groups who have been watching the Seri-coma with deep concern and suspense.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #23 on: 15 Aug 2013, 18:06 »

So now I'm imagining a space colony inhabited solely by Justin Bieber fans and their hyperindulgent parents.

You ... you bastard.

Now I need ice cream.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #24 on: 15 Aug 2013, 19:07 »

If the State is a boot stamping on a human face forever then the Federation has to be a child whining for a celebrity lunchbox forever, no?

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #25 on: 15 Aug 2013, 19:49 »

I would like to make Anette the face of Elusenia, that was the idea with the cute little 'Dojaressa' or 'Princess Regnant' titles...

However, I do not control the character anymore, it was given to another player for funsies.

Ollie

• Egger
« Reply #26 on: 16 Aug 2013, 05:02 »

I'd say any of the Inhonores' are known around the cluster. One of the little 'did you know' facts on this very forum note that non-capsuleer viewing of the IGS is considered a spectator sport of sorts. Elusenia has been mentioned there several times, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were entire community groups who have been watching the Seri-coma with deep concern and suspense.

The Seri-coma even has its own soap-opera - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9jP0ySZ5Ro:lol:

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #27 on: 17 Aug 2013, 23:40 »

...I just realized this place is similar to "elusive". Not my intention, was meant to be different from D'estinia (after having renamed it, I ofc learn a place in Italy has a similar name)

Lyn Farel

« Reply #28 on: 18 Aug 2013, 04:42 »

Elusenia sounds rather good, unlike D'Estinia...

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #29 on: 18 Aug 2013, 05:52 »

How is it that one person gets to live in any given house, and not another person? Are they assigned by a bureau of housing?

I don't picture it any more complicated than purchasing the house according to market value.

"Purchasing a house according to market value" could get a little complicated in a corporate-owned colony.  Here are some things to consider:

• Do homeowners own the land beneath their homes, or do they lease it from Elusenia? Does Elusenia retain eminent domain/compulsory purchase privilege even if the homeowners do own the land?
  • Has all housing already been built?  If so, "market value" may become a very interesting thing when supply no longer exceeds demand.
  • Can homeowners purchase/lease a plot of undeveloped land and build their own homes? If so, are they required to comply with Elusenian aesthetic/safety regulations? Can they use whatever private building contractor they please, or do they have to use one approved by the Elusenian government? Are there any private building contractors on Elusenia? (This could tie into the answer to the question "Did corporate employees physically build the colony, or was that outsourced?")
  • Are there mortgages on Elusenia? If so, can potential homeowners negotiate these via offworld financial institutions, or are they forced to finance their homes through the Elusenian government? (Speaking of things to consider:  does the Elusenian government also act as a bank/credit union to corporate citizens?)
  • Is homeownership tied to citizenship?  Will people lose their homes if they lose their Elusenian citizenship, even if they have paid in full/are current with any mortgage arrangements?  Can non-citizens purchase homes and/or enter into land-lease agreements?
Pages: 1 [2] 3