Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The original starship classes in EVE were frigates, cruisers, industrials and the elusive Battleships?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Unexpected Violence, Unexpected Retort  (Read 5295 times)

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
Re: Unexpected Violence, Unexpected Retort
« Reply #15 on: 05 Feb 2014, 00:24 »

Civire Bear Hug!  Because when a Civire is drunk, the best way to stop the Deteis is to hug her.  This has the added benefit of allowing the Civire to head-butt the offending Deteis* should the Deteis decide that the next round isn't on her!

*Civire foreheads are thicker than Deteis noses.

Now we know the real reason why Tibus Heth became a forklift driver. He got drunk and tried the good old bear hug and headbutt on the Deteis Executive, only to wake up the next morning in a filthy cell hungover, demoted in position, fifteen pending fines, numerous black marks on their permanent records, and countless statements from his co-workers that he's of dubious character and lacking in the requisite honor to be a Home Guard Officer.

The New Meritocracy was really Tibus Heth mad he got drunk one night then got dunked by the Deteis bureaucratic mandarins with all that power.

Damn Deteis Exec shouldn't have been slumming at the Guard bar!

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #16 on: 05 Feb 2014, 00:28 »

Civire Bear Hug!  Because when a Civire is drunk, the best way to stop the Deteis is to hug her.  This has the added benefit of allowing the Civire to head-butt the offending Deteis* should the Deteis decide that the next round isn't on her!

Now we know the real reason why Tibus Heth became a forklift driver. He got drunk and tried the good old bear hug and headbutt on the Deteis Executive, only to wake up the next morning in a filthy cell hungover, demoted in position, fifteen pending fines, numerous black marks on their permanent records, and countless statements from his co-workers that he's of dubious character and lacking in the requisite honor to be a Home Guard Officer.

The New Meritocracy was really Tibus Heth mad he got drunk one night then got dunked by the Deteis bureaucratic mandarins with all that power.

Damn Civire should watch out for their chins and stop trying to head-butt every problem!

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 05 Feb 2014, 00:33 »

Damn Civire should watch out for their chins and stop trying to head-butt every problem!

:bash:

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #18 on: 05 Feb 2014, 00:38 »

I wonder if Caldari slang for Civire infantrymen is, "Butt-heads"

PracticalTechnicality

« Reply #19 on: 05 Feb 2014, 03:24 »

Ael would probably feign more severe injury from the initial impact than was actual, before attempting to nope out of there pretty quickly.  She has no real desire to engage in physical conflict and wasting a clone and so many hours or days of memories on having a clone die in a bar fight started by chance or stupidity isn't really  a sensible option. 

Sol is not terribly physically augmented beyond the standard capsuleer stock clone (though she tends to pack a slew of implants in her piloting clones).  Going to a bar with full slaves to have them stomped out of her ears against the decking is just not economical, so unaugmented or lightly augmented tends to be the way to go.  Personality wise, Sol is pretty 'with it' and aware, but prone to escalation and fits of anger if things unexpectedly go against her.  A glass smashing against her chrome-dome is one such thing.  So she'll throw a punch or three, maybe pick up an improvised missile of her own, with or without beer still inside, and hurl it back, and generally be a nuisance.  Military hand to hand training might come in, but she knows she didn't come to the bar to kill anyone.  A few black eyes, maybe a few broken ribs (hers or theirs) and it's all good.  As remembering what she did today isn't nearly as important to Sol (lol sansha) she is far more willing to enjoy the result for what it is, even if she didn't want to get dragged in in the first place. 

So as a breakdown:

Aelisha: Doesn't like to fight, is heavily augmented physically, mentally and socially (full suite of odin, phanca, +5's and hardwirings) and does not like to risk confrontation even if she would come off better - repeatedly replacing a clone with all that kit is going to hurt even her short term finances.

Sol: Up for a scrap but is realistic, rocks stock clones in social situations for reasons of cost and being punched/stabbed/shot for being Sansha aligned, easily angered, unintentional violence is the same as a personal assault in her mind.  Will happily get into a scuffle but won't escalate to the use of non-improv weaponry unless that was happening to start with, at which point she'd probably question why she wasn't in her capsule settling the issue - hard to lug a medium focussed pulse lazer into a bar fight - pointless to escalate beyond a kick to the jewels, unless you're willing to go all the way.

« Last Edit: 05 Feb 2014, 03:27 by PracticalTechnicality »

Laria Raven

• Evil. In a dappy way. Kind of dappy-evil.
  • Wetgraver
    • All Alone In The Night
« Reply #20 on: 05 Feb 2014, 07:31 »

Laria has a history of finding the nearest flying fist and getting her face in the way of it. Jude was trying to teach her self-defence at one point, and kind of gave up. (There were other reasons that weren't "her being hopeless")

In general, though, I'm not a big fan of "x is instant death if you..." It often comes across as a power play.

Saede Riordan > Yeah and Leopold is the human pond scum. Laria's alright...ish.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 05 Feb 2014, 10:13 »

Since Brock has rocket implants under his pecs, he will generally flex hard enough in a bodybuilder pose to start spraying the bar with several dozen warheads to quickly end the situation. Rather than Jace's laser eyes, Brock prefers large explosions while screaming "You dun BROCK DA BOAT!" Kucial would have a heart attack because he's ancient, and Cuci will just start grinding on the opponent while moaning to quell the situation.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #22 on: 05 Feb 2014, 10:31 »

I guess then that Lyn would be scared to death and try to get the hell out, either discreetly or just fleeing altogether.

If that fails and she falls down, then she will continue to crawl out of the way.

If she gets grabbed then she will maybe get to her senses and start kicking the offender like a cornered animal. And then maybe bite or whatever.

Or maybe she will get the first cutting thing somewhere around.

Or maybe she will just faint. Or feign death.

Dunno.

Would be very cautious when something like that happens and was not planned or anticipated, or agreed upon OOCly...

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 05 Feb 2014, 10:36 »

I guess then that Lyn would be scared to death and try to get the hell out, either discreetly or just fleeing altogether.

If that fails and she falls down, then she will continue to crawl out of the way.

If she gets grabbed then she will maybe get to her senses and start kicking the offender like a cornered animal. And then maybe bite or whatever.

Or maybe she will get the first cutting thing somewhere around.

Or maybe she will just faint. Or feign death.

Dunno.

Would be very cautious when something like that happens and was not planned or anticipated, or agreed upon OOCly...

Well yes, I think it is assumed here that OOC contact has happened or would immediately happen.

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing
« Reply #24 on: 05 Feb 2014, 12:58 »

I'll just make a brief point about glass shards being potentially lethal, at least 1 death that I can recall reading about in the news, involved flying glass shards, that lacerated someone's artery in the neck.

So let's say your character is attacked in a bar as started in the above post. Let's also assume for a moment that your character is going to fight back. How do they react? Do they get up and start trying to swing? Do they attempt to smash a beer bottle for a cool improvised weapon? Do they pull out a knife that you [didn't] acknowledge the presence of when entering the channel?

If Synthia does not see the object being thrown:

* Synthia is struck by a thrown object and falls over, while stating: "Bar Person, I have been Struck by an Object."

or, assuming Synthia observes the object being thrown:

* Synthia dodges (or mostly dodges) the thrown object, and states "Thrown Objects may cause Injury."

If Synthia decides to fight back:

* Synthia states "I have Read the Book of Personal Combat for the Amarr Lady." and throws as many small loose objects as are readily at hand, including coins, beer mats, complimentary peanuts.

if this aggression is insufficient then:

* Synthia flails wildly, arms and legs creating a sphere of unsafety around Synthia, striking anyone coming too close, while stating "I am the Angel of Vengeance"

Such displays would surely dissuade all but the most aggressive person.

What is the proper way to respond when your character is unexpectedly attacked in the bar, though not in a way that god-mods your character?

probably try some form of de-escalation, in order to keep events fairly sane, before the bar's bouncers, or possibly even station police intervene.
The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.

Makoto Priano

« Reply #25 on: 05 Feb 2014, 14:17 »

So. I've been on the receiving end of Unanticipated Bar Room Violenceā„¢ after trying to give a good night kiss to a girl I'd dated previously, and having her jealous ex spot me from across the way. He followed me when I went, "OH! He's here? I'm out!," swung me around and punched me. There was a surprising amount of blood.

I sort of thought, drunkenly, "That's a fist! Comin' right at me!" while the swing was coming, and looked straight at it. Evidently this was a good call, though, because it meant that he hit a bit higher than intended, and my nose didn't end up broken. He got thrown out about as quickly as I could go, "oh shi--! I was supposed to do something, right?"

So, anyway.

In reality? If you're drunk, and they're drunk, and they're throwing a bottle, odds are it'll miss soundly. If it doesn't miss soundly, odds are if you see it coming you'll undercompensate and get a glancing blow, or overcompensate, trip on your barstool, and faceplant with a twisted ankle or something like that. But odds are they'll miss. And odds are you'll injure yourself trying to dodge something that missed. That's just how drunk reflexes are.

That said!

Let's say, y'know, Makoto is drunk at the Lounge or the Rook or whatnot and having some girl time talking about dancing or guffawing at the notion of dating any of those losers on the IGS. Someone throws something at her and it's not Random Hilarious Violenceā„¢ of some sort, but instead a reasonable progression from arguments, disagreements, whatnot. Odds are I won't realize that she should injure herself failing to dodge an object that would've missed her anyway; odds are she'll get a glancing blow with customary superficial damage from glass, and GTFO-- heels crunching in glass shards, slipping a bit as walking in heels on glass while wearing a pleather pencil skirt while drunk is Olympic-level difficulty, to dodge behind the bar, and escape through the kitchen-- and drunk logic may require that the hungry escapee grab some potstickers on the way out.

Trust me. I'm a doctor.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: 05 Feb 2014, 14:32 »

The other aspect to this that people are all taking for granted is that the characters are actually drunk already. Just saying. When you're sober, it is much easier to shoot knives out of your nostrils.

Makoto Priano

« Reply #27 on: 05 Feb 2014, 14:35 »

Point.

However, when you're drunk, you're more likely to want to shoot knives out of your nostrils.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: 05 Feb 2014, 14:37 »

Point.

However, when you're drunk, you're more likely to want to shoot knives out of your nostrils.

Unless you are arriving at the bar to try to find a target already too drunk to respond to your nostril-knifing with their fingernail bombs.

Makoto Priano

« Reply #29 on: 05 Feb 2014, 14:53 »

Ohhh, opportunism, you glorious, generous mistress...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4