Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The language of the Amarr empire is spoken by more people than any other language? Read more in this Chronicle.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Terrorist groups  (Read 4963 times)

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
Re: Terrorist groups
« Reply #15 on: 03 Jul 2010, 20:51 »

For the sake of EVE at least, and for RP stories, Im gonna go with yes.  Would be fun to have your "public" face of the corp, acting quite respectable, then after the press meeting going into a back room and coordinating with the section of the corporation that officially doesnt exist as they plan on blowing up some schoolbus or whatnot.
Now THAT'S what the hell I'm talkin' about.  Terrorism, fuck yeah!

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #16 on: 03 Jul 2010, 21:23 »

What sorts of terrorist groups might the Minmatar have, apart from Defiant/DF1AS-style?

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #17 on: 03 Jul 2010, 21:57 »

I'd point to a completely different source of 'terrorist' action in the Republic - angry flash mobs, such as that which destroyed the Salvation Crusade temple. Sadly, these are near impossible to interact with or emulate, as they have no official name, method, or uniform objective across all their operations.

On the Amarr end of things, we have the Order of Tetrimon, a group originally formed with the intent to keep the Amarrian faith "pure" and more recently responsible for a terrorist attack on newly-freed slaves.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #18 on: 05 Jul 2010, 15:23 »

The oldest Minmatar terrorist group would be the Freedom Fighters. They are not beyond using biological warfare on Amarr planets if it furthers their goals. (Defiants, on the other hand, are essentially a rogue Republic Fleet task force and expected to work with some discipline - Freedom Fighters likely work in smaller cells.) The Bloody Hands are kind of extremist version of the Freedom Fighters.

The Stellar Staircase or whatever - the Amarr match to the FF, helping slaves escape. Of course, for the modern-day person, they'd be good guys. For Amarr, they are terrorists. Brotherhood of Athra. (Also, there used to be an Udorian terrorist group.)

For Gallente, UDI, any organized crime, ultranationalists, a thousand and one activist groups walking the line between terrorism and political activity and/or civil disobedience.

Alexander Rykis

« Reply #19 on: 08 Aug 2010, 05:44 »

Was there really an entire page discussing RL terrorist organizations/political activist movements on a board asking for a list of in-game terrorist groups?

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #20 on: 08 Aug 2010, 13:44 »

Well, that leads to something of a definitional debate.  Is a sovereign state or political group that uses terrorism to achieve its goals still terrorists?

For the sake of EVE at least, and for RP stories, Im gonna go with yes.  Would be fun to have your "public" face of the corp, acting quite respectable, then after the press meeting going into a back room and coordinating with the section of the corporation that officially doesnt exist as they plan on blowing up some schoolbus or whatnot.

Black Eagles.

A terror-wielding faction sanctioned by the Federation's highest peaks of power to facilitate a very real need; the extermination of the Fed's 'invisible' enemies.

Violent dissenters, hidden spies/saboteurs, traitors, and so on. The real problem lies in just how much control they are supposed to be under and how they are to define their line that must not be crossed.

Depending on where that line is, or if it even exist, is one of those things that makes the Black Eagles interesting and helps add flavor to Federation RP - no matter how much of a shining Paladin you are, proudly bearing that Federal Eagle, there is a bloodied, spiky BlackGuard right next to you wearing one too, and his existence is demanded, justified, and arguably very very needed.

The peoples of the Fed and especially the one's the Black Eagles step on might just disagree. But hey, that's the prize of your citizenship...

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 08 Aug 2010, 14:51 »

<3 Bloodbird

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #22 on: 08 Aug 2010, 20:19 »

Was there really an entire page discussing RL terrorist organizations/political activist movements on a board asking for a list of in-game terrorist groups?

Erm... no?

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 09 Aug 2010, 08:26 »

<3 Bloodbird

This is a little un-usual: I'm unsure what exactly you felt was so positive about my post. Would you elaborate?

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 09 Aug 2010, 10:39 »

Because I feel that some prominent Fed RPers (players in general) forget just how evil democratic governments can be.  Your post made me smile and I think gives a great angle for people to pursue.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 09 Aug 2010, 16:44 »

And here I was, thinking that what you just commented on was common knowledge...

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #26 on: 11 Sep 2010, 12:54 »

/resurrect

What about violent separatists? I understand there is (was?) a Jin-Mei group, not sure about the other "Asian" bloodlines that have various political issues. Maybe somebody isn't happy with the political fortunes of the Vherokior tribe, for example.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
« Reply #27 on: 11 Sep 2010, 15:24 »

True, there is always the option of the violent insurrection - recruitment should not be the worst either, gather any and all PVP'er and industrialist who desire to be in a combat-able corp and declare the reason for all the violence and the decs against evil national overlords.

Tacitrain

• Clonejack
« Reply #28 on: 11 Sep 2010, 17:03 »

I don't know, maybe I misunderstand your posts, but Black Eagles don't seem like a terrorist group to me.  They use terror on terrorists, spies, and corrupt officials, etc.  They don't blow up a bus load of kids on the way to summer camp, for example.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
« Reply #29 on: 11 Sep 2010, 23:18 »

I don't know, maybe I misunderstand your posts, but Black Eagles don't seem like a terrorist group to me.  They use terror on terrorists, spies, and corrupt officials, etc.  They don't blow up a bus load of kids on the way to summer camp, for example.

No, but the definition of a 'terrorist group' to me atl is one that effectively use terror as a weapon, regardless of intent or goal. Make no mistake, while the SDII is meant to be the good guys that protect the Fed from malign entities like the above mentioned spies, traitors, rogue/corrupt leaders and so on and so forth, this does not prevent them from being viewed (with good reason) as an entity to be feared.

If the Black Eagles are in your hood fucking things up, there is usually a good damn reason, but they are still out fucking things up. It's their jobs to be the 'secret police' (not that secret, really, more like notorious) and to, if needed, level the place to the ground and spreading fear in their enemies. This effectively means they can be considered a terror entity to any citizen, regardless if that citizen has reasons to be afraid or not. They do the needed jobs and get them done, regardless of moral stance on such actions by their own government.

And as I've stated before, this makes them a shadowy side of the Fed and one that helps underline the 'we are really gray too' aspect of the Fed - their ideals are good and all, but SOMEONE have to be the hard-asses.

Every nation in EVE has people like this. It's just that the Empire and Federation has more 'known' unknown forces available.
Pages: 1 [2] 3