Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the top-heavy, curved, vertical design of the Naglfar was copied from Minmatar totems? Read more in the description

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Terrorist groups  (Read 4965 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Terrorist groups
« on: 02 Jul 2010, 13:30 »

EVE has them in plenty. One of the major factions considers many of the military actions taken by another major faction as something akin to state-sponsored terrorism.

So apart from bog-standard Minmatar "freedom fighters", what other terrorist groups in fiction have gotten your attention in the past? DF1AS comes to mind as one sort of example among players, as I think they go a little further in their RP than just a regular militia group. But EoM or those environmental groups in the Furrier Fiasco mission might be another.

Let's hear 'em!

Kaleigh Doyle

Re: Terrorist groups
« Reply #1 on: 02 Jul 2010, 15:07 »

UDI

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 02 Jul 2010, 15:14 »

Brothers of Freedom; lost a Drake in the in space chase to take down their leadership.

Zuzanna Alondra

• Omelette
« Reply #3 on: 02 Jul 2010, 17:16 »

We *are* the terrorists!  Woot!

We go much beyond Militia in our roleplay - I believe Lord Maximullis was recruited to Du'uma after publicly executing a few slavers and Zu has killed just a "few" Ammatar... just a few.  Miz while she was in the corp was very much the terrorist as well.  I think the only non-outright terrorist in our corp is Arisha. I personally want to find out more about the NPC group "Bloody Hands of Matar" - last news article with them sounded like a fun group to learn more about.

Come on other terrorists - get your free plug in! *grins*

Edit: I include this story written by Havo about our last huge RP stunt for proof of terrorist deeds - http://defiasblog.insurmountablelogic.com/archives/915
« Last Edit: 02 Jul 2010, 17:18 by Zuzanna Alondra »

Koronakesh

« Reply #4 on: 02 Jul 2010, 20:32 »

No terrorism here.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #5 on: 02 Jul 2010, 21:58 »

No terrorism here.
Actually, while I know SF's 'gimmick' is that of a terrorist group (I don't use the word gimmick derisively, mind, I refer to DF1AS's terrorism as an RP 'gimmick' as well), when we were in SF, I felt them to be more of a kind of political activist group than a terrorist organization.  One of the old sig templates had the brand "Seditionist" on it... SF isn't pro-actively evil enough for the 'terrorist' brand in my opinion, but I think I went a few rounds with some SF folks including Jade about that (i.e. that we could've been more ebil) on vent at the time :)

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Arvo Katsuya

• Noble Appliance
  • Egger
« Reply #6 on: 02 Jul 2010, 23:09 »

So, would it be considered semi-terrorism? Quasi-terrorism? Diet coke terrorism?  ;)

The Cosmopolite

• Lord of Misrule
  • Wetgraver
    • eve-chatsubo OOC Forums
« Reply #7 on: 03 Jul 2010, 00:50 »

UDI

Takes me back.

Joshua Foiritain calling us anarchist terrorists who were more dangerous than the UDI in the course of his campaign for Mentas Blaque to win the presidency was an interesting one. You remember those days, eh Kaleigh?  ;)

Cosmo

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 03 Jul 2010, 01:43 »

No terrorism here.
Actually, while I know SF's 'gimmick' is that of a terrorist group (I don't use the word gimmick derisively, mind, I refer to DF1AS's terrorism as an RP 'gimmick' as well), when we were in SF, I felt them to be more of a kind of political activist group than a terrorist organization.  One of the old sig templates had the brand "Seditionist" on it... SF isn't pro-actively evil enough for the 'terrorist' brand in my opinion, but I think I went a few rounds with some SF folks including Jade about that (i.e. that we could've been more ebil) on vent at the time :)

I would argue that that is in fact quite realistic, and a sign of good RP in a "terrorist group".  Few terrorist groups think of themselves as actual terrorists, and certainly not evil.  They're just "more aware" and "dedicated" than everyone else, in their eyes.  Al Qaeda views itself as a political/religious movement first and foremost, for instance.
« Last Edit: 03 Jul 2010, 01:47 by Gottii »
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 03 Jul 2010, 08:54 »

I would argue that that is in fact quite realistic, and a sign of good RP in a "terrorist group".  Few terrorist groups think of themselves as actual terrorists, and certainly not evil.  They're just "more aware" and "dedicated" than everyone else, in their eyes.  Al Qaeda views itself as a political/religious movement first and foremost, for instance.
I would argue it is a sign of the "terrorist group" developing.  Al Qaeda, at least in my view, is very much a traditional terrorist group.  Al Qaeda is not openly running for office or providing the locals with services, this is in contrast to Hamas, Hezbollah, Taliban, etc.  These organizations utilize terrorism as a tool, but are more than just terrorist groups at this point.  They have other tools of power in their toolbox, which are many times more effective than terrorism.

In Eve, I think it can be said that -SF- has moved beyond being a terrorist group and become an organization that utilizes terror tactics on occasion.  The establishment of an outpost and "governance" of a system speak to this.

This same evolution can be applied to almost any group once it begins to utilize more tools to achieve its aims.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #10 on: 03 Jul 2010, 10:12 »

I would argue that that is in fact quite realistic, and a sign of good RP in a "terrorist group".  Few terrorist groups think of themselves as actual terrorists, and certainly not evil.
Maybe I wasn't clear.  SF didn't do much in the way of terrorizing in the way I think of it (suiciding enemies' highsec mining ops with dessies, probing out their mission runners with neutral alts and pouncing on them right in the middle of Guristas Blockade or the likes, locking down a system with cloakers and afk cloakers, etc) while I was there.  Shortly after I left, they started cloaking in Providence, which is pretty cool and falls in with my ideas of "terrorism pvp" in EVE, but during the time we were there it was more about trying to muster an equal battleship blob and having a stand-up fight.  The most guerilla/terrorist thing we were doing at the time was the titan bridge hotdrops (if you've never done one, try to one day 'cause it's fucking hilarious).  Giving 24 hours' notice of hostile standings and so on and so forth is pretty chivalrous in the context of EVE, for example.  To borrow orange's comparison, I would've much loved for SF to be more like the Al-Qaeda of EVE when I was in it.   :yar:
« Last Edit: 03 Jul 2010, 10:17 by Havohej »

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 03 Jul 2010, 13:01 »

I would argue that that is in fact quite realistic, and a sign of good RP in a "terrorist group".  Few terrorist groups think of themselves as actual terrorists, and certainly not evil.  They're just "more aware" and "dedicated" than everyone else, in their eyes.  Al Qaeda views itself as a political/religious movement first and foremost, for instance.
I would argue it is a sign of the "terrorist group" developing.  Al Qaeda, at least in my view, is very much a traditional terrorist group.  Al Qaeda is not openly running for office or providing the locals with services, this is in contrast to Hamas, Hezbollah, Taliban, etc.  These organizations utilize terrorism as a tool, but are more than just terrorist groups at this point.  They have other tools of power in their toolbox, which are many times more effective than terrorism.

In Eve, I think it can be said that -SF- has moved beyond being a terrorist group and become an organization that utilizes terror tactics on occasion.  The establishment of an outpost and "governance" of a system speak to this.

This same evolution can be applied to almost any group once it begins to utilize more tools to achieve its aims.

Actually Al Qaeda means "the Base" in Arabic, and by that they mean to say that their organization will be the base of a new Caliphate and ultimately a society that they seek to see rule over the Arabic world.  They're not trying to run for office because the very idea of democracy is something they're against, they see it as walking away from the teaching of the Quran.  Theyre very much a political-religious entity.  

But thats not really here nor there.
« Last Edit: 03 Jul 2010, 13:10 by Gottii »
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 03 Jul 2010, 13:53 »

And you missed my point.

I did not say that Al Qaeda will not evolve beyond being merely a terrorist group and it is clear their goal is to do so.

My point is that as any violent group gains credibility, soft power and responsibility, it will cease to merely being a criminal/terrorist/revolutionary/etc group.  The end goals in many instances are to remove a current power and replace it.  When an organization begins to be successful, for example U'K and -SF- in Providence, they move from being terrorist/freedom fighters, to having soft power with which to transmit their message.

Continuing the U'K & -SF- example, the establishment and operation of Outposts and NRDS policy as the sovereignty holders is a soft power transmission of -SF-'s message.  If their outpost becomes successful and provides an example for others to follow.  This is far from terrorism to bring ones message to the forefront.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 03 Jul 2010, 18:13 »

And you missed my point.

I did not say that Al Qaeda will not evolve beyond being merely a terrorist group and it is clear their goal is to do so.

My point is that as any violent group gains credibility, soft power and responsibility, it will cease to merely being a criminal/terrorist/revolutionary/etc group.  The end goals in many instances are to remove a current power and replace it.  When an organization begins to be successful, for example U'K and -SF- in Providence, they move from being terrorist/freedom fighters, to having soft power with which to transmit their message.

Continuing the U'K & -SF- example, the establishment and operation of Outposts and NRDS policy as the sovereignty holders is a soft power transmission of -SF-'s message.  If their outpost becomes successful and provides an example for others to follow.  This is far from terrorism to bring ones message to the forefront.

Well, that leads to something of a definitional debate.  Is a sovereign state or political group that uses terrorism to achieve its goals still terrorists?

For the sake of EVE at least, and for RP stories, Im gonna go with yes.  Would be fun to have your "public" face of the corp, acting quite respectable, then after the press meeting going into a back room and coordinating with the section of the corporation that officially doesnt exist as they plan on blowing up some schoolbus or whatnot.
― Isaac Asimov

Kaito Haakkainen

• Wetgraver
  • May have skimmed the Book of Emptiness
« Reply #14 on: 03 Jul 2010, 20:41 »

Templis Dragonaurs.

Unless they've completely converted their membership to the CPD, which would be difficult given the extremism going on there.

The Empyrean Age shows that Heths involvement could be figured out but, in my opinion, that doesn't make for particularly interesting RP at this point.

Still there's a lot of room for capsuleer support of the group and their ideals. Given their survival and success against both nations and likely CONCORD too (assuming they got off their asses) it can be assumed that they're very well equipped, connected, etc and would be able to draw the attention of the pod-jockeys. They likely even have a few of their own, hating Gallenteans is a cause a lot of folks can get behind.
Pages: [1] 2 3