Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That there was a total information blockade during the Caldari occupation of Placid, only lifted when the Caldari Navy in the area was destroyed or driven out?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Suicide ganking?  (Read 2207 times)

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
Re: Suicide ganking?
« Reply #15 on: 06 Feb 2014, 10:24 »

I'm sure someone else could state if there were any balancing things that effected it while I was gone, but as far as I'm concerned it has just become more popular or "fun". The enjoyment of tacking out carebears in hisec has increased.

There have been a few changes over the years but without a frame of reference for "while you were gone" I can't list accurately to that timeframe.

The two biggest ones I can think of are that insurance can no longer be collected from ships destroyed by CONCORD (possibly just a criminal flag in highsec, not sure), and that when you have a criminal flag active in highsec, your ship is prevented from warping off. (There used to be a tactic used by gankers where they would be able to blow someone up, then warp to another gate and blow someone else up before CONCORD snagged and killed them - effectively a 2-for-1 deal.)

There's also increased ship costs over the years due to a variety of factors, and the addition of the "tier 3" battlecruisers to the mix. Aside from that I can't really think of any other changes caused by actions on CCP's end.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 06 Feb 2014, 10:29 »

It was a little over a year or so, maybe a bit longer - for reference, your ship having a "Safety" you have to turn off wasn't a thing when I played last. This also got me killed when I came back, because I had no idea I had a safety on.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #17 on: 06 Feb 2014, 13:20 »

Yes theoretically it's a lot harder to suicide gank now than it was a few years ago (with the insurance reimbursing suicide gankers, ships a lot less expensive overall due to ore prices, etc).

If it starts to increase, no idea why.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #18 on: 06 Feb 2014, 13:32 »

Yes theoretically it's a lot harder to suicide gank now than it was a few years ago (with the insurance reimbursing suicide gankers, ships a lot less expensive overall due to ore prices, etc).

If it starts to increase, no idea why.

I'd argue the activity of suicide ganking in and of itself is no harder or easier than it's ever been.

Doing it for profit rather than tears alone is what I would consider to be more difficult now. The profit margins are going to be much smaller outside of the periodic "loot fairies blessing the firing-squad execution of some dumb fuck flying everything he owns ever in an untanked industrial" or juicy alliance logistics freighter/JF kills.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #19 on: 06 Feb 2014, 15:06 »

Thus why I said theoretically, yeah.

Makoto Priano

« Reply #20 on: 06 Feb 2014, 16:53 »

Factors:
1) Inflation is likely impacting targets more than it is ganking ships, as small T1 ship prices are near (or sometimes marginally below) mineral cost while high-value cargos retain significant value. Combine this with readily-available PE5 and researched BPOs, and it's easy to keep costs down.
2) Tags-for-sec make it easy for anyone to indulge in periodic ganking, without having to rat for ages afterward.
3) The payout for ganking is still massively higher than for most other forms of play, aside from perhaps capital escalations in high-class WHs. Would you rather grind incursions for eight hours to get that 1b, or would you rather spend a couple hours with ten dudes looking for a couple overly-blinged mission ships or that one freighter going way over the advised limit?
4) Ganking actually scales very well with player counts; the more players or characters in on it, the cheaper the ship you need to use to achieve the gank. This lowers the threshold for action.
5) As gankers get more experienced, they're finding ways to increase their yield-- plopping down MTUs to recover their gear for reuse, salvaging all the wrecks, or doing things like reselling officer gear on the market and logging who makes the purchase for future ganking. To be honest, I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult for one player with a scanny alt in a noobcorp

I'm not sure how many of these are a product of changes, and how many were existing issues.

To be honest, my issue with the CONCORD system at present is that there's no lasting penalty. Sec status loss is an inconvenience, nothing more. Beyond that, the only deterrent to ganking is the expense threshold-- and it's clear where that's put us.

Ideas:
1) Increased sec status loss, and decreased sec status cap. Be forewarned: random, nonsensical numbers ahead. So-- instead of marginal sec status losses when ganking, increase the up-front sec status loss markedly, and also marginally decrease a character's max sec status-- so someone who is at 0.0 to start may pop straight to -1 on a gank, and have their max sec status drop to 4.5 or some such-- and on down, so that even as a character repairs their sec status to get back into HS to gank, their cap continues to lower, until eventually they start capping out of highsec. Consider this a game equivalent of 'three strikes' laws, resulting in lasting, long-term penalties. Right now, there are none.

2) Impounded goods. What if wrecks/loot involved in a gank were impounded by CONCORD? Both parties lose the goods, then. There's still significant damage in ganking, but it can't be done for profit.

3) CONCORD pods. This would shift the focus back onto gank alts, instead of weekend gank trips by mains-- but it might still combat it to some degree.

4) NPC corps can't go safety red. Could you imagine the howls?

5) Corporations get a security status rating, and a poorly-rated corporation starts seeing CONCORD effects in high security space.

To be honest, I don't think 2) is a workable idea. 1), 4), and 5) would be frickin' hilarious, though -- especially if each player in a corp gets a derived sec status hit when their corp gets a hit.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 06 Feb 2014, 17:16 »

5 is awesome.
Pages: 1 [2]