Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That PIE has been at war with enemies of the empire ever since its foundation?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Suicide ganking?  (Read 2208 times)

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
Suicide ganking?
« on: 05 Feb 2014, 19:46 »

I'm getting a lot of people warning me that they're suicide ganking ships in highsec, particularly around major trading hubs.  Is something going on?

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
Re: Suicide ganking?
« Reply #1 on: 05 Feb 2014, 20:44 »

Nothing new in New Eden.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 05 Feb 2014, 21:08 »

Prep to litter space with Freighter wrecks?

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 05 Feb 2014, 21:45 »

While suiciding always happens, it sometimes is the case that certain people begin coordinating to hit specific routes over a couple day period. The Amarr > Jita route can be pretty dangerous if you are hauling expensive cargo in an indy. The worst one I've had (through my stupidity/lazy) was 450,000,000 ISK worth of loss in one suicide gank. Which isn't much compared to some of the ganks out there (12,000 USD worth of PLEX...), but it was enough to annoy me.

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
« Reply #4 on: 05 Feb 2014, 22:04 »

Yeah, just asking.  My brother got hit and checked the killboards, apparently, and there have been a rise.  He's moving out of Dodixie because of it.  I've heard a couple other people got hit the same way recently.  Just figured I'd ask if something was actually going on, since my stuff's still in Amarr EFA.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 05 Feb 2014, 22:25 »

Nothing big enough to be spread through the rumor mill that I've heard. Probably just coincidence or some buddies deciding "hey, it would be fun to suicide gank this week". If it is big enough beyond that, we'll start seeing more comments about it on the OOC forums.

Steffanie Saissore

• Knight Commander (in training)
  • Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #6 on: 06 Feb 2014, 01:27 »

From what I had heard and seen, part of it was an uptick in ganking players who were doing SoE missions just before the 1.1 patch and continuing after that. There was also a call for people to gank missioners in general due to the recent changes to the MTU.
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #7 on: 06 Feb 2014, 07:32 »

Aside from what Steff mentioned, I don't think there's anything particularly special going on.

Ganking is just a fact of life along certain transit corridors - particularly Niarja and Uedama, the 0.5 systems between Jita and either Amarr or Dodixie, respectively. Ganking activity also typically picks up on weekends compared to weekday levels.

The saying "don't fly what you can't afford to lose" applies to anything that might show up on a killmail, of course. As a general rule, if what you're carrying/fitting is worth more than what it would take to blow you up, consider yourself a target at all times.

If you have low to medium-volume shipments of high value to move, use a cloaky ship of appropriate size (covops, recon, blockade runner). If it's high-volume, or you don't have access to a cloaky ship, have a third party like Push Industries or Red Frog move it for you.

If, say, you are missioning in a ganky area, like a mission hub in lower highsec, only fit the bling that you need to make your fit work. Don't go full-on ERMAGERD FERKSHERN TERNK just because you can - if all your fit needs is a single medium-range faction module to make it work well enough for what missions you're doing, then don't fit more than that - I rarely fit more than one or two faction modules to a missioning ship, and even then it's only for fitting or cap stability reasons.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

PracticalTechnicality

« Reply #8 on: 06 Feb 2014, 08:00 »

Business as usual, especially Niarja, Poinen and Uedama.  Basically hire third parties to carry your stuff at 110% collateral.  It just isn't worth taking a freighter through atm as some will pretty much just do it for the ship kill, let alone the cargo.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 06 Feb 2014, 09:34 »

The general rule of thumb in hisec is never carry anything worth 100m in a regular tanked out Indy. And that's the upper limit to avoid everyone and their cousin trying to suicide gank you - plenty of people will do it for an overall loss because they just simply enjoy it.

Makoto Priano

« Reply #10 on: 06 Feb 2014, 09:46 »

The more conservative limits I've heard are 20m for an indy (because let's face it, they're made of tissue), and 1b for a freighter. That said, always manual warp down major travel corridors; autopilot is asking for someone with a bunch of catalysts to try it anyway.

And yeah. So-- I played in 06/07, and came back to find EVE overrun with gankers. It's really weird, and I can't help but think that 'working as intended' in this case is a product of myopia due to hiring from the player population.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 06 Feb 2014, 09:51 »

Huh, I've always heard 100m/1b.  But yes, tissue paper indeed. I only autopilot if doing distributions missions where I am hauling mission cargo that is worth nothing.

And even then, there is absolutely no reason you won't get ganked for the luls.

And two weeks after I came back to Eve was the first time I'd ever been suicide ganked - and I fly stupid all the time. So I would agree, there seems to be an uptick.

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
« Reply #12 on: 06 Feb 2014, 10:09 »

Is it just getting to be more profitable or convenient?

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 06 Feb 2014, 10:12 »

I'm sure someone else could state if there were any balancing things that effected it while I was gone, but as far as I'm concerned it has just become more popular or "fun". The enjoyment of tacking out carebears in hisec has increased.

Jocca Quinn

• Wetgraver
« Reply #14 on: 06 Feb 2014, 10:20 »

Is it just getting to be more profitable or convenient?

Tags for sec mean that the gankers do not need to recycle alts, they can rinse away the sec hits easily.

My personal view is that the number of sucide ganks are rising and have been for the last 6 months or so. Rather than it being a part time occupation it is becoming something people are doing full time.
Pages: [1] 2