Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Your clones have your DNA, but not until you've been in them a while? For more information see the Cloning Scientific Article

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Is it just me...  (Read 10226 times)

Valadeus

Is it just me...
« on: 15 May 2012, 09:35 »

...are the IGS forums a lot more dead than they used to be?

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
Re: Is it just me...
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2012, 10:06 »

The community as a whole is more dead than it used to be, IGS included; we are still feeling the aftermath of Incarna, and the continued effects of the way the fiction seems to have been going (ie, nowhere at all, if not backwards).

Most RP you're going to find these days will either be in the Summit or in small, private groups. THere's the occasional party or get-together, but they're few and far between - and even when they're not you still have to find a reason that your character would go.

The Amarrians have really gotten the short end of the stick here. Not only are their numbers generally dwindling across their entire political spectrum, a lot of the new PF coming out combined with a is not making them appear any more attractive to people wanting to RP. Now add to the mix that most Amarrians probably wouldn't want to associate with dirty heathen outsiders, and most 'new' Amarr RP characters are either ridiculously liberal, heretics (ie, Sabik or EoM), or simply "moustache-twirling Evil with a capital E for the sake of being moustache-twirling Evil with a capital E", the opportunities are not very appealing.

People rag on the whole "hugglefuck" sort of character personality, but when the general population is so low, and the opportunities are scarce, there's not that much in the way you can do if you want a character that can get social interaction that isn't a bunch of old farts sitting in in cushy chairs by a fireplace sipping whisky going /sip /monocle "pip pip cheerio" all night. The only group that seems large enough to get by without needing to resort to it (as far as I can tell, and please correct me if I'm wrong) are the Matari RPers - particularly those in groups like EM that are large enough to have internal RP networks without needing to go outside of the alliance to get plenty of varied RP.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Valadeus

« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2012, 10:17 »

That's sort of the vibe I've been getting, MorLag. Criticize me for being indecisive and wanting to change characters away from the Valadeuses if you want, but I don't feel like I'm going to contribute much to the overall RP and community by playing them right now.

It would seem that right now, the things needed most are strong conservative Amarr, intelligent and political Gallente, and Patriotic (or business liberal) Caldari.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2012, 10:17 »

a bunch of old farts sitting in in cushy chairs by a fireplace sipping whisky going /sip /monocle "pip pip cheerio" all night.

You've been spying on me...

Desiderya

« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2012, 10:35 »

Basically what Morlag said. There's an overall scarcity that seems to be down to the hype and consequent disappointment in Incarna as well as the extremely stagnant game world. It's a bit puzzling, one would've expected TO having at least a bit of an impact.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2012, 10:48 »

RP is pretty dead; even Minmatar RP is scarce for me nowadays, as the solid RP groups tend to keep to themselves (Understandably, in light of some recent events).

Add to that the fact that eve may have gotten stale for some, combined with other games (Tera, Diablo 3, GW2 impending release) drawing people away... its durn quiet, yeah.

Hope it picks up soon. Thankfully we at least have The Summit, otherwise, I would have virtually NO In-Character interaction.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2012, 10:54 »

a bunch of old farts sitting in in cushy chairs by a fireplace sipping whisky going /sip /monocle "pip pip cheerio" all night.

You've been spying on me...

Since when did you sit in on the PIE Admiralty Board meetings? :P

That's sort of the vibe I've been getting, MorLag. Criticize me for being indecisive and wanting to change characters away from the Valadeuses if you want, but I don't feel like I'm going to contribute much to the overall RP and community by playing them right now.

It would seem that right now, the things needed most are strong conservative Amarr, intelligent and political Gallente, and Patriotic (or business liberal) Caldari.

Not going to criticize, because it's your choice. I do, however, think that the Valadeus family did fill a useful hole in Amarrian RP - the weekly Scripture discussions that I very frequently missed ( :oops: ) kind of made that clear. They made the religion approachable - even by people who didn't want to convert, but just wanted to learn. So there were detractors - you're going to get that whatever you end up doing anyway, so it doesn't (or at least shouldn't) matter too much.

A single person (or even two) coming back and picking up where they left off when they took a break isn't going to 'fix' the problem - but neither will it make things worse.

Do what you find fun and enjoyable, and fuck what anyone else says you should or shouldn't do beyond that. It's your $15 ($30?) per month, not theirs. It's not about what they want.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2012, 10:58 »

Incidently, this is one of the reasons I enjoy immersionist RP.  I RP every day, when I pretty much do anything for the corp.  Helps get my RP fix, not reliant on events/parties/drama/hugglefucking.  Im appreciative of EM for that every day.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 15 May 2012, 10:59 »

I RP in local a lot now. With layzorz.

Valadeus

« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2012, 11:01 »

Well, without the conservative bloc to oppose the Valadeuses, they really lose the effect they had. The reason Raze was fun to play is because he could be the whiteknight in stark contrast to the usual Amarr. Without the usual Amarr, there's no whiteknight, I wonder if that makes sense.

Basically, tension breeds good RP. If there's no tension, RP is stagnant. If I play Xane like I am, he's essentially preaching to an empty congregation and there's no conflict there to bring character development and RP. Right now, an Amarr player would need to play a conservative Amarr in order to build on the tension of the Minmatar/Amarr conflict. Unfortunately for me, I have no desire to play a conservative Amarr.

So I'm looking for a character idea that I can get behind and that will help contribute to the RP with good debates/discussions/tension, etc. Maybe I'm way off the mark here and aiming for the wrong thing, maybe I'm making myself sound like some sort of RP Savior (which I don't think of myself as and hope I don't come across that way), but that's where my thinking is right now.

The question then becomes, how can I go about accomplishing that?

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2012, 11:13 »

Honestly, if I gave up Gottii/LUTI tomorrow, I would so play a conservative Amarrian character. One who believes in slavery and the scriptures, thinks the rest of the world is dark and uncivilized, and puts his faith in Empire and Empress. 

Why would he care about whats happening in TEA and Templar One?  He has no idea what happened, its not public knowledge, and his viewpoint is what I would/should care about, not the metaworld truth of the universe. 

Everyone is trying to play Abraham Lincoln, when I always thought Robert E Lee (an otherwise upright and impeccably moral man, even a paladin of sorts, fighting for the "wrong cause") would always be more interesting and believable to play.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2012, 11:16 »

I'd agree with Gottii (God help me) -- a conservative Amarrian who is fully behind the Empress, Reclamation, the Scriptures, etc. etc. etc., without particularly wanting any change in the Empire as it stands beyond bringing those annoying little heathens and heretics back in line, one way or the other, would be really nice to see.

One that's a pretty normal guy, mind. Not all "I r sinister" or "BEHOLD GOD'S WRATH"; just a pretty typical Amarrian who's fully on board with the Empire.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2012, 11:22 »

One that's a pretty normal guy, mind. Not all "I r sinister" or "BEHOLD GOD'S WRATH"; just a pretty typical Amarrian who's fully on board with the Empire.

This is the problem with some of the newer ones lately. Too many go for the "Evil for Evil's sake, and lulz" option, and not enough for the "I'm not evil, you're just uneducated, unenlightened puddles of piss on the floor of human civilization and can't possibly understand the Grand Future that has been revealed to me" option.

... And of course, that last one sounded eerily like the way TS-F folks approach Nation. :P
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 15 May 2012, 11:23 »

The problem is... only a very deluded Amarrian would be behind the Empress.

Even a blind man would see with his arsehole that things are not kosher with her.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #14 on: 15 May 2012, 11:29 »

Then make him deluded. "She only got there with divine assent", or something?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6