Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Adventures of White Lightning" is a Gallentean soap opera.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: New Incarna Trailer  (Read 6474 times)

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
Re: New Incarna Trailer
« Reply #15 on: 07 Jul 2011, 15:27 »

I liked the trailer and the intent behind it.

And yes, I'm at least critical of CCP, but tend to think I'm not hypercritical... :P
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Revan Neferis

• Sani Sabik
  • Wetgraver
  • God's Banker
« Reply #16 on: 07 Jul 2011, 16:07 »

I think its fashionable to be hypercritical of anything CCP does.

I believe I can safely say that I dont follow " fashionable trends " and I like to keep an opinion of my own. For some reason this video really didn't bring any sort of positive emotion on me much to the contrary, it's not a video I feel like watching again.
I can't pinpoint but I suspect that the very bad acting was a turn off to me. The script, the business model trying to eb advertised is valid, but it came out totally wrong in my view.
Let's hope it catches the attention of possible new subscribers though and reaches its intended market whatever it is.
Erotic Evil: Sexy and Dirty, Dirty Rich.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #17 on: 07 Jul 2011, 17:28 »

On the whole, I like it. It's much more about the experience of playing EVE: in this case about community, consequences, and the heart-thumping, hand-shaking adrenaline rush when, especially as a new player, you stretch to do something that matters for your community that you're not sure you can succeed at, and the fiero when you do succeed. It's a solid package. (Okay, okay: "... even if I, as a Kiwi, find it a bit corny".)

If I were to tweak it it'd be to strengthen the visual hook anchoring the opening words:"We built something great. We weren't going to let them destroy it." The station was just scenery, and while telling us there was something important covered it off intellectually it left me a bit "So what?" about why the later fight was important. I'm struggling to come up with a visually-meaningful and true-to-EVE way to show station-building (or sov-holding, or whatever), though; maybe the makers had the same problem. :)

Snippets:

- I did twitch at "We had no idea what was coming", wondering what their intel division was up to if they had "no idea". But as a frontline grunt I guess that's how it plays: we trap, they counter-trap, and this time they decided to commit something we weren't expecting or prepared for.

- As a newcomer I would have heard "'Ceptors" as "Sceptres". Not that "Interceptors" would have meant a whole lot more to me back then.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #18 on: 07 Jul 2011, 17:43 »

Yeah, I don't think we'll be getting a storyline trailer again. They want to appeal to a wider audience, not sci-fi fans who would lap up news-style trailers.

CCP also want to justify playing EVE as completely acceptable.."real" and not something separate from IRL...that's their reasoning behind charging $60 for a monocle. It's not your character's, it's YOURS, because that's YOU playing the game...

I want my RL back.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #19 on: 07 Jul 2011, 18:18 »

It does bother me slightly that this is given the whole "This was real!" treatment, considering how Incarna/CQ is completely faceraping immersion. However, as trailers go otherwise, I liked this one. I liked it quite a bit.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #20 on: 07 Jul 2011, 18:29 »

It does bother me slightly that this is given the whole "This was real!" treatment, considering how Incarna/CQ is completely faceraping immersion. However, as trailers go otherwise, I liked this one. I liked it quite a bit.

I'd say that not everybody shares this opinion - in fact, for people who even care about immersion (a far wider circle than self-described "roleplayers"), I'd say that most people feel like it does a lot more to increase immersion.

Aside from the lack of social spaces, sigh.

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #21 on: 07 Jul 2011, 19:03 »

Right now it doesn't increase immersion. But it will.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #22 on: 07 Jul 2011, 19:16 »

But does it utterly destroy it?

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #23 on: 07 Jul 2011, 19:29 »

No, that's my point. Unless you had an emotional attachment to ship spinning, it doesn't.

CJ Walker

• Clonejack
« Reply #24 on: 07 Jul 2011, 19:49 »

I liked it. It was probably the most realistic depiction of actual play I have seen in ther trailers. Reminds me of people retelling a fight.

When the sniper fleet warps in, someone on voice announces "hictors on the field". FC never orders hictors primaried though.

CJ

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #25 on: 07 Jul 2011, 19:59 »

But does it utterly destroy it?

So, every time you dock to change ships, drop cargo or just quickly get out of shooting distance, you decant (and somehow manage to find a shower and dress, even though there's neither a shower or a wardrobe anywhere) right into a metal grating next to your ship? Every single time? Not to mention no bathroom either.

All available rooms in all stations across New Eden is also of Minmatar design, and look perfectly the same... and doesn't provide a remote to turn off the damn TV. Not to mention comes with an invisible forcefield stopping you from walking down stairs.

Does it destroy immersion? Yes.

We've always had to handwave things in Eve, that's not new. The thing is, with Incarna the things you have to handwave just gets bigger and bigger, and more and more in your face. It's the least 'real' expansion Eve's ever had, and thus it bugs me that they market it as 'real' somehow. As an immersionist, taking at face value what shows on-screen was very doable with Eve pre-incarna. With CQ, it's not impossible to be immersed, but it sure as hell takes more handwaving.

Misan

• Shady Thukker & Ninja Admin
  • Pod Captain
    • Serious Thukking Business - Blog
« Reply #26 on: 07 Jul 2011, 22:08 »

I'm not sure that the EVE is "real" thing is directly associated with Incarna, despite the fact that the associated marketing campaign is coming up post-Incarna release. I got the sense that it the concept is more about the community and how things you do matter in some way in the world. Just look at the materials they are looking for from the players for the upcoming marketing campaign. Of course the other part of it is that the idea of EVE is to be a complete sci-fi universe, which is the area that Incarna moves forward (however slightly at this point). It seems right now like they intend to fix the decanting thing, but we won't really know until they give us more details about the plans; Arnar wasn't willing to commit to anything during that interview.
EVE Blog and Project Status: on hold -- busy being Thukker-esque IRL.
Twitter
What I'm busy with, if you're curious.

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #27 on: 07 Jul 2011, 23:26 »

All in all I liked it. I can also say that today myself and probably several other FDU pilots had an "I was there" moment in the defense of Harroule and the following plexing to get it out of vulnerability. It may seem weird, but I could tell by the celebrating in TS several(more like 8-9) hours later when we finally got it back to contested that for a lot of people it was "real." I think the trailer isn't trying to say that eve is real, but that the accomplishments you achieve in game are not just something you do in a game. A lot of the things in EVE you really do have to work for. There isn't a lot of blood, but I do think there's room for sweat and tears.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #28 on: 08 Jul 2011, 05:05 »

Well, I'm a bit torn over it personally, but I think it works as an ad regardless. It most definitely is targeted for a different audience, no doubt all part of bringing in the kind of people that will hopefully like Incarna in particular. It doesn't really need anyone from this forum to be impressed to be successful.

I wouldn't have went with the "Eve is real" thing, though. Unfortunately, it seems to be their tagline for the new wave. I kind of think that it plays exactly to the wrong stereotype. Also, this ad sells Eve as this visual extravaganza, that it's real largely because it looks so awesome, giving promises it can't deliver. That's not really sound marketing, but making spreadsheets sexy is a bit off a challenge for sure.

But yeah, it is a dramatized version of an Eve player telling the story of a good fight. That's not all bad, even though the acting/direction bordered on the melodramatic.

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #29 on: 08 Jul 2011, 12:05 »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4