Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the higher levels of space stations are restricted to the elite, with capsuleers occupying the very top decks? (The Burning life p. 73)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: New Incarna Trailer  (Read 6476 times)

Verone

• Dirty Gurista Loyalist
  • Egger
  • :3
    • Veto Corp.Com

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
Re: New Incarna Trailer
« Reply #1 on: 07 Jul 2011, 12:54 »

<throws popcorn at the screen from the back of the theater.>

Boooo!
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Revan Neferis

• Sani Sabik
  • Wetgraver
  • God's Banker
« Reply #2 on: 07 Jul 2011, 13:03 »

Disappointing.
 :ugh:
Erotic Evil: Sexy and Dirty, Dirty Rich.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #3 on: 07 Jul 2011, 13:03 »

@ 1:22 ... New warp wake effect? I want.

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #4 on: 07 Jul 2011, 13:08 »

Reminded me of old C&C Westwood stuff.  :lol:

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #5 on: 07 Jul 2011, 13:09 »

We're not exactly the target audience. A big production for a story that seems, to us, commonplace comes off as silly, but I can see how it could function to draw in new subscribers. The fade-to-Incarna was a nice touch.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #6 on: 07 Jul 2011, 13:15 »

I've got to say I actually liked it until they blended over into the incarna/cq bit, which was a bit  :psyccp:

To be perfectly honest, this tale, and others like it, get told all day, to other people, be they players or not.
Thus its, in my opinion, the most accurate eve trailer up to this date.

Good job CCP  :D

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 07 Jul 2011, 13:19 »

Warning, film/media student rant ahead:

Great concept, but lacking in the force of execution. I'm sure the storyboard for this looked great, but the narrative did not come across forcefully enough to make the viewer care in the first 15-30 seconds. Referential, denotative concepts at the beginning of the trailer are too strong for the uninitiated (with EVE) to understand. It literally needs to be said "here's what we built, here's the stake," but that's glossed over.

You can laugh at me when my next video comes out in August because it certainly does not follow this principle, but an official trailer -- a tool for marketing -- absolutely needs to command attention.

Acting was overdone, but I can't fault the guy or even the person who directed him. This is the first time CCP has flirted with live actors, after all. One of the problems was that his emotional direction in telling the story was very disconnected with the visual storytelling, which was quite bland in the first 30 seconds. As such, it didn't feel like it got better aligned with the FiS bits until further into the video, even though it technically did. Rhythm of the crosscutting (technically montage) was perfect, but CCP has always been good at that.

If this is a story about the triangular player-character-event connection, the process by which those relationships were made was too direct. This is just a feeling I have. Obviously a capsuleer in lore cannot "feel [their] hands shaking" in battle, because they are their ship. That slight misdirection isn't what I'm talking about. It's more that the heart-thumping that occurs in PvP has to do with a sense of potential loss which wasn't communicated very well in the first place.

Good first step, but could use lots of refinement in the future. I loved the fact that this was apparently based on a real story (but then again it could be one of hundreds of similar Warp To stories). That should have been stated at the beginning of the video for more impact.
« Last Edit: 07 Jul 2011, 13:30 by Kyoko Sakoda »

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 07 Jul 2011, 13:28 »

Definitely aimed at newer, prospective players. Can't entirely blame them for that, though it does look bad from the vet perspective.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Tizian Enel

• Clonejack
« Reply #9 on: 07 Jul 2011, 13:58 »

I liked it, overall.

I'm sure most of you read the related devblog already, but since the thread has no link to it, here goes.. http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=937

Then some thoughts on it:
That actor isn't playing a capsuleer, he's playing a player.. "Eve is real" as in "The stuff I make my character/ship do in eve are very exciting for me as a player, so much that my hands shake".

Hard for me to think how a non-eve player sees that, but I'd expect a lot of the story gets lost by simply not understanding what is happening there and the narration doesn't explain it. So perhaps it's more of a story that's being told to a fellow eve player by someone new(ish?) to the game than a story told to someone who never played and the focus is on the emotions... what you do matters and that a few players (in this case, the tacklers.. a role new players are often put into) can make a big difference.

While I technically liked the fade-to-incarna bit.. it kinda mixes up the message, just like the clothing on that actor. The same video could have been made with a regular dude on a sofa in tshirt and jeans and without the incarna bit and the "eve is real" message would have gotten across fine, imo. But I guess CCP are proud of the newest expansion and can't not show it off a bit.

I also don't think it's a trailer for the game.. but a trailer for the new ad campaign site yes.
« Last Edit: 07 Jul 2011, 14:01 by Tizian Enel »

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #10 on: 07 Jul 2011, 14:36 »

I liked it quite a bit. Not a bunch of stuff that we can't do in-game (cf. Tyrannis and Future Vision), not a bunch of overblown UI elements that we never see (cf. Dominion), and not an unrealistic portrayal of player interactions (cf. Butterfly Effect).

It's not RP focused. So what? This is the sort of thing that draws in new players.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #11 on: 07 Jul 2011, 14:37 »

I think its fashionable to be hypercritical of anything CCP does.

I think people spend too much time picking apart the video and the unrealistic scenario it portrays without grasping the vision for the game.

Sure, its a little dramatic and not as SRSBSNS as some of the other videos,  but its got decent action and an engaging scenario.

Bureeiku

• Blake Rathen
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #12 on: 07 Jul 2011, 14:40 »

I found the acting/script subpar.  CCP always wins on the front of cinematic battles and cool FC voice overs  so, if you ever hear of an in-character FC, let me know, I'd like to fly in that fleet.  If he has a voice font that makes it sound like he is speaking over CB radio, even better.

The trouble with the premise of the vid is that it is as if it is trying to say incarna improves the spaceship game, when it does not.  Tying incarna to emotional buy-in on a fleet fight is long shot, sorry.

If I was to follow the artistic critique approach, I'll say that if they wanted to redo this in a similar style, tell it from two opposing FCs PsOV over the course of a campaign rather than a battle.  Not that it gets any closer to somehow highlighting incarna. :s

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #13 on: 07 Jul 2011, 14:48 »

I don't believe the trailer is expansion-focused, or at least it didn't seem like that. It's EVE-focused, where Incarna is part of that. I mean, the CQ stuff doesn't even show up until the last few seconds, and it's not part of the core narrative.

Could CCP have done something better? Sure, I suppose so. But this seems pretty good to me, and for all the times I bitch about them, it's only fair for me to give them credit when I think they've done well.

Misan

• Shady Thukker & Ninja Admin
  • Pod Captain
    • Serious Thukking Business - Blog
« Reply #14 on: 07 Jul 2011, 15:12 »

I remember they were focusing quite heavily on the "EVE is real" theme during FF and this feels like it fits in quite well within that context. Nitpicks aside I think it does a good job. I really do wish they would actually use bubbles though, otherwise the whole fleet sticking around would never happen in practice.

Would be a little cooler if they emphasized that the players actual built and defended that outpost. Without some background in EVE you wouldn't know what the importance behind the station there is at all.
EVE Blog and Project Status: on hold -- busy being Thukker-esque IRL.
Twitter
What I'm busy with, if you're curious.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4