Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Julianus Soter founded Synenose Accord, a capsuleer corporation dedicated to unraveling the mysteries of w-space and the Sleeper AI?

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Reporting of moderator posts and related issues  (Read 5568 times)

Vikarion

Re: Reporting of moderator posts and related issues
« Reply #30 on: 01 Jul 2011, 21:21 »

In my opinion calling something pc is justified when having to avoid the possibility of offending somebody leads into enforced selfcensorship exceeding the call to be polite, thruthful and respectful.

Also be wary of using phrases such as "to be honest", or other stylistic affectations.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #31 on: 02 Jul 2011, 22:44 »

Seriously, if you see me (or any other moderator) post something inappropriate, you can report it.

*snipped stuff by me*

I have reservations about engaging in a culture where, as one person has recently described it, the winning strategy seems to be claim offence and report others for moderation.

To clarify, my concern about claiming offence and reporting others relates mostly to discussion of in-game matters.

An example is that -- as an outsider -- I find it perplexing that references to the relative political alignments and focuses of PIE and KotMC seem to go quickly to moderation about claims of doing it wrong when I see comments about difference rather than about wrongness. It looks like there's a fantastic IC generation gap there. There also seem to be some familiar-looking differences about degrees of support for tradition and openness, duty and freedom which I see in other circles. As an outsider to the Amarrian scene I can't engage with their experience of those things IC, and I'd enjoy being able to discuss it a bit OOC.

I've also been puzzled when different people have said what seem to be very similar things and only one of them's been moderated for it, or a later reference to a previous unmoderated discussion has been moderated. For example:

All of what Revan said, really.

What in hell...

I know, right? Apocalypse. It's coming.

... was fine, but:

Quote from: Mizhara link=topic=2495.0
For the love of God, people, you're making me agree with Revan. This is a sign of the bloody apocalypse.

... was unacceptable because:

Quote from: Morwen link=topic=2495.0
[...] agreeing with someone that you don't like is neither the end of the world, nor is it a reason to go "OMG WTF IS WRONG WITH ME". It is a sign that there are just some things that people agree on. Attacking other users is never acceptable for any reason [...]

Which is a fair enough comment in its own right, it just seemed like some surprised but rather friendly banter between habitual IC enemies with some similar OOC approaches had brought down the ban-hammer, and I'm not sure where it crossed the line.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #32 on: 03 Jul 2011, 03:03 »

I'm catching up on posts made over the last few days and finding that I may have spoken too soon on my first example about matters Amarrian. Victoria Stecker is using precisely that as a hypothetical example of how discussions might progress.

I'm wondering about whether we could run the actual, non-hypothetical discussion. Would anyone be interested in trying?
Pages: 1 2 [3]