Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that station interiors have a day/night cycle mimicking planets? (p. 88)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Reporting of moderator posts and related issues  (Read 5568 times)

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
Re: Reporting of moderator posts and related issues
« Reply #15 on: 01 Jul 2011, 10:33 »

I think Laerise's cnocern is that Cia just laid out very a very cafeful and thoughtful explanation of why such language has no place in talking about internet spaceships. Laerise is therefore concerned that moderation will move in a direction prohibiting its use.

Frankly, I'd love to see this happen, as such language really does have no place in discussions outside the actual topic, but that would apparently hamper people's ability to express themselves or something.

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #16 on: 01 Jul 2011, 10:44 »

So what other words should be off limits?  Because I can come up with several dozen that are somehow offensive to someone somewhere even when used in an irrelevant context, so I think we need to roll up our sleeves and get to work here!

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #17 on: 01 Jul 2011, 10:54 »

I think that's a great idea, because any meaning you are trying to convey through a potentially offensive word can be stated more clearly and without the potential to upset someone else by stating what you mean literally rather than figuretively. The only reasons I can see for using such language for unrelated things would be laziness/insensitivity, desire to appear 'edgy,' or desire to be offensive while hiding behind "what I meant was harmless."
« Last Edit: 01 Jul 2011, 10:56 by Victoria Stecker »

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #18 on: 01 Jul 2011, 10:58 »

So what other words should be off limits?  Because I can come up with several dozen that are somehow offensive to someone somewhere even when used in an irrelevant context, so I think we need to roll up our sleeves and get to work here!

The test isn't 'somehow offensive to someone somewhere'. As much as labeling this as political correctness run amok is, I'm sure, tempting.

The test is posting in a way that is respectful of other members, who come from a wide variety of backgrounds. If you absolutely can't express yourself without the frequent use of the words 'rape', 'gay', etc., then possibly this isn't the forum for you.

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #19 on: 01 Jul 2011, 11:28 »

Meh, disregard those posts please. Trying to reply to topics inbetween power naps doesn't seem to be my strong point  :cube:

Chell Charon

• Egger
  • IC: Main> Lord Crow Alts> Too many
« Reply #20 on: 01 Jul 2011, 14:54 »

The test isn't 'somehow offensive to someone somewhere'. As much as labeling this as political correctness run amok is, I'm sure, tempting.

The test is posting in a way that is respectful of other members, who come from a wide variety of backgrounds. If you absolutely can't express yourself without the frequent use of the words 'rape', 'gay', etc., then possibly this isn't the forum for you.

Has this now transcended into policy? Am I to avoid (or vet) analogies and words that may be interpreted as offencive to a some member of the forum? Even if I happen to disagree with the interpretation?
1. Think what you are about to say.
2. Know why you are about to speak up.
-This is here for me, I need the reminder.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #21 on: 01 Jul 2011, 14:59 »

The policy has always been to respect other players. In fact, some of the words used ("gay" as a pejorative) are specifically noted in the rules and have been since their original publication.

So yes, offensive epithets and similar are forbidden here. That's not new, and it's not something that will change.

Chell Charon

• Egger
« Reply #22 on: 01 Jul 2011, 15:11 »

The policy has always been to respect other players. In fact, some of the words used ("gay" as a pejorative) are specifically noted in the rules and have been since their original publication.

So yes, offensive epithets and similar are forbidden here. That's not new, and it's not something that will change.

That is not an answer to the question I asked. I asked am I to avoid analogies that some member of the forums may find offencive? Ref. revolt analogy.

Actually as far as the previous posts concerning a word that was used to describe effects of a corporate policy of CCP to ingame market. Am I to vet the use of that word according to how a member of the forum interprets the words use to weaken the position of human rights? Will this policy be inclusive or exclusive?

Is this an official policy I should  follow from now on?

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #23 on: 01 Jul 2011, 15:14 »

That was a direct answer. You asked if it was a new policy, and I said that it is policy -- just not new.

Chell Charon

• Egger
« Reply #24 on: 01 Jul 2011, 15:25 »

It seems to me I was right on calling it a political correctivism. I will ofcourse do my best to follow, what to me, seems a new interpretation.

Am I correct in assuming this is an inclusive policy? Meaning all analogies and word use.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #25 on: 01 Jul 2011, 15:26 »

What does the phrase "political correctivism" mean, BTW? I'm unfamiliar with that second word and want to make sure I don't misunderstand you in some way.

Chell Charon

• Egger
« Reply #26 on: 01 Jul 2011, 15:32 »

Just a non native speaker failing.  :)

Political Correctness.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #27 on: 01 Jul 2011, 15:46 »

I feel like I should note that I believe that phrase gets heavily misused. It's one thing to avoid calling things what they are for simple political gain - "political correctness" in its original form.

But avoiding being rude and offensive isn't being "politically correct," despite the fact that many people use it that way. It's being "polite".

Chell Charon

• Egger
« Reply #28 on: 01 Jul 2011, 16:06 »

I feel like I should note that I believe that phrase gets heavily misused. It's one thing to avoid calling things what they are for simple political gain - "political correctness" in its original form.

[Changed to] No comment.

But avoiding being rude and offensive isn't being "politically correct," despite the fact that many people use it that way. It's being "polite".

Being "polite" does not confer that none will be offended by what one says. Neither does being "thruthful", "respectful" or anything else.  [Redacted commentary]

In my opinion calling something pc is justified when having to avoid the possibility of offending somebody leads into enforced selfcensorship exceeding the call to be polite, thruthful and respectful.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #29 on: 01 Jul 2011, 16:20 »

Really? You guys can't figure out how to post in a civil manner?  How do you get dressed in the morning?  This isn't rocket science folks.
Pages: 1 [2] 3