Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ships in EVE have crews?  Really.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Let there be WAR!  (Read 15244 times)

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
Re: Let there be WAR!
« Reply #45 on: 01 May 2012, 12:30 »

Did I say or imply otherwise? (Also: the people who ARE slavers, or pro-slavery, for the Matari are a kind of select group these days.)

I'm sorry, my tone wasn't clear. I was being mildly amused, not accusing you of anything. I don't expect you to know much about me or my character, so I'm in no way touchy about your previous comments.

And I've expanded the list of people I consider slavers to include angels and Sansha (I was in space around Matari planets when the Sansha performed their own mini-day-of-darkeness and kidnapped millions. Talk about hitting a sore spot.)

And the Angels have been high-profile for years, and the Sansha (or ex-sansha, since Ulf is a bit disbelieving about  people claiming to be ex-Sansha), are around in surprising numbers.
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #46 on: 01 May 2012, 13:08 »

The summit is full of Minmatar too.

I found this quite funny, as often from Ava and My points of view the Summit is full of Amarr  :P

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #47 on: 01 May 2012, 13:23 »

The summit is full of Minmatar too.

I found this quite funny, as often from Ava and My points of view the Summit is full of Amarr  :P

And from the points of view of me, Tib and probably one or more of the other mods, the Summit is full of people needing a good mod-slapping. :P
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #48 on: 01 May 2012, 13:28 »

I'm in need of an automatic error message.

WARNING, YOU ARE ABOUT TO POST SOMETHING OOC IN THE SUMMIT AGAIN

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #49 on: 01 May 2012, 13:42 »

I think the threat of people taking your random OOC posts in the Summit and running with them IC would probably serve as a better deterrent.

Last night's would've been epic. :lol:
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #50 on: 01 May 2012, 13:48 »

I think the threat of people taking your random OOC posts in the Summit and running with them IC would probably serve as a better deterrent.

Damn.  I so would have done that too.  Well, probably not with Vieve.

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #51 on: 01 May 2012, 13:59 »

Confirming if someone had ran with that epic luls would have followed.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Gymir Asaadan

• Clonejack
« Reply #52 on: 01 May 2012, 15:37 »

On some level for RP wars I think OOC co-operation is needed, if only to try and make sure decents fights can happen - say if the OOC leader of (a) 'leaks' that they will be doing something at 'x' time and 'y' place leader (B) could then lead a gang to find out/attack.

I assume there are enough spies in EM for this to be unnecessary. And I'm not sure that most of our immersionist leadership would be happy with this concept. We don't pick wars for good fights, we pick wars we think we can win, or at least make a difference*.
2 pages of replies too late, but:
Why does your leadership choose wars based off of ones they think they can win? I would have thought the greater challenge/reward would be to get involved in a fight where you can contribute somewhat, but the battles are good or epic in nature?

I guess this is just a different philosophy between leaders but I would prefer to lead into a tough fight that win or lose at least we had a good fight out of it, versus attacking a foe that I know well that I can beat every time. Barring standard eve exceptions.

Once I get myself a bit more organized I will be attempting to provide another outlet for WAR!

Looking forward to seeing others there when I arrive ;)
An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind.
-Buddha

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #53 on: 01 May 2012, 16:25 »

Well, you know what I'm going to be doing to help this situation. Who else is stepping up with me?

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #54 on: 01 May 2012, 16:49 »

And I'm not sure that most of our immersionist leadership would be happy with this concept. We don't pick wars for good fights, we pick wars we think we can win, or at least make a difference*.

2 pages of replies too late, but:
Why does your leadership choose wars based off of ones they think they can win?

I would have thought the greater challenge/reward would be to get involved in a fight where you can contribute somewhat, but the battles are good or epic in nature?

I don't think very many people in history have declared wars they thought they would lose. My theory on battles even is that either one side has been trapped into a fight they don't want (in Eve it is often difficult to get a competent opponent to commit to a battle they don't want), or both sides think they can win before the battle is joined -  Usually, at least one of those sides is wrong. There is a whole art to scouting and deception to convince people to engage, while hiding enough resources to make that a mistake, and still scouting enough that they can't do that to you. One theory I have some sympathy for is that most battles are decided before the first shot is fired.

We have other criteria for declaring war on corps than "can stomp them into the muck" but "good fights" is not one. Most characters in the alliance are aware that when they lose ships, IC they're losing people. While some of them try not to think about it. It's there. So we try not to do it without cause.

Perhaps I need to clarify a little. Electus Matari is an immersionist alliance. The decisions that the leaders of the various corps make about who to shoot at and who to declare war on are made from an in-character point of view. Our mission statement includes defending and strengthening the republic. IC, we don't shoot people for the challenge, we do it to make the republic a better place. Convincing pirates to go shoot people in Khanid space is a win for us. Convincing Pandemic legion that hanging around Amamake will get them good fun fights is not.

We will war dec reds when we can think of Specific Measurable Achievable, Relevant and Timely goals. Relevant, in this case means to the Alliance's goals. This may be as simple as "reduce the number of kills in the republic by pirate alliance X for the month by 50%" or "Convince Corp X to stop providing support to Amarrian Militia pilots". When Alliances couldn't join FW, it could be "Let our pilots chase the more common plexing Amarrian FW pilots without taking GCC" - In one war, getting our targets to leave the militia for a week was a success by our measures even though we didn't kill any of them.

You can't win a war without defeating the morale of your opponents. Losing ships is not that big a deal for most pilots*, but getting a corp to the point where they're scared to undock, or they don't trust their comrades to come to their aid, to fit sensible ships, or to actually do their jobs competently, can badly damage a corporation. If the good PVPers in an alliance get tired of seeing stupid loss-mails on their killboard, that damages their morale and makes them less efficient. We know this IC. Shooting ships without addressing the mental side of the battle is suboptimal.

I guess this is just a different philosophy between leaders but I would prefer to lead into a tough fight that win or lose at least we had a good fight out of it, versus attacking a foe that I know well that I can beat every time. Barring standard eve exceptions.

It is not the case that we only fight people we think we can beat every time, but we don't tend to start wars that we don't think it is possible to "win". From an IC perspective, that would be stupid, and we do try to play our characters (at least, those of our CEOs) as if they're not stupid.  As mentioned above, we often define what a win will look like before the war, and tailor our tactics towards those victory conditions. And sometimes we don't achieve our objectives, but before we started, we thought we could.

* I think we once convinced someone who war-decced us that they weren't going to win because on the first day they stomped a fleet of faction battleships, and the next day we were out chasing them in even more ships. We never did make up the isk difference, but they stopped chasing us, and eventually ended up blue by promising not to pirate in the republic any more. From our point of view, a win!
Long pause

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #55 on: 01 May 2012, 17:00 »

Bravo to Ulphus and EM, btw. This is exactly how RP-based wars should be done. Clear IC reason, clear objective and counting things as done once that objective is complete or clearly failed.

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #56 on: 01 May 2012, 18:06 »

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #57 on: 01 May 2012, 18:28 »

Sorry, I'm not trying to co-opt this thread, I just thought the image was very applicable to Aria's OP.

In terms of the "default cosmopolitan structure" of capsuleers, I think that Aria is absolutely right. I do also however think that the very nature of the capsuleer -- the immortality, the ability to fly all over the cluster and see things, and to learn from mistakes with the only consequences being socioeconomic -- encourages this in the community. It's the famous "the medium is the message" quote, taken out of McLuhan's context, but very applicable. It's why I admire a group like PIE who have been towing the same line for 9 years. It does get very tiring, but it makes things interesting.

The perpetual machine runs very well in EVE, but the very small scope of the RP community here makes things rather stagnant because we tend to segment PvP and RP. I think it would be great for some people to step up and start knocking down sandcastles.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #58 on: 01 May 2012, 18:38 »

I look at it from the perspective of my limited experience in similar situations.

When I was on my first tour of Afghanistan I ended up in an Iranian restaurant, smoking hookah, eating banana ice cream, and chatting with a group of eleven Taliban celebrating a birthday party. Now I'm sure part of it was the culture, and part was that none of us were armed on either side, but we enjoyed that night. They talked about their culture, we spoke about ours. It turns out their idea of American culture came from satellite TV transmissions of professional wrestling, so they thought all Americans were like Hulk Hogan. They laughed when we told them he only had two children as most of them had many more.

In all it was a singular and unique experience, one that helped define my life.  While we were there, unarmed and unable to fight each other, we bridged some sort of cultural divide. As soon as we exited those doors though, you can bet both sides were scrambling back to their "base" and making intel reports and going back to business of killing each other.

I think that some cross-culture RP can be amazingly interesting, but I don't think that everyone can be super-best-friends for any length of time.

Just my 2isk

It sounds like a special situation, and I'm impressed with both your calm and theirs.

Long pause

Vikarion

« Reply #59 on: 01 May 2012, 20:38 »

I remember, back a couple years, when I asked Cia why she didn't like PvP. Her reply, at the time, was that, after working all day, the stress of PvP was not precisely what she was looking for in her recreational activities. I don't think I really got it at the time, but I certainly do now. As entertaining and desirable as such conflicts might be, after working 10 or 12 or 14 hours, I have little desire for more excitement.

EDIT: Annnnd...today was about 18 hours itself. Oog.
« Last Edit: 02 May 2012, 04:09 by Vikarion »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9