Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Khanid and Sansha ships were originally half lasers half missiles split ships?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Investigating the Time line of minmatar/amarr conflict (before empyrean age)  (Read 2672 times)

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain

I'd be interested in the Federation's role, though I think CCP tries to hide the "fact" the Republic was formed with Gallentean help

Gottii and I have been going dialectical on each other lately about Matari history: it's not always comfortable, but it's definitely fruitful. Here are some resulting snippets for you about the role of the Federation:

The Minmatar Republic was formed over a century ago when the Matari threw out their Amarrian overlords in what is known as the Minmatar Rebellion. The Matari had the support of the Gallente Federation and to this day, the two nations remain close allies.

"The Gallente had a dream, and they called this dream democracy," said the Ambassador in his speech. "This dream was given to the Republic in its infancy and held to be the right and true way for a civilized society to govern."

Quote from: EVE Online: Character Generation: Minmatar: Education: Republic Military School
The Republic Military School (from which all Minmatar enlists graduate) was for a long time the bastard child of the Minmatar education system - it existed because it was perceived as needed but it had no support: most military personnel were Gallente trained. In recent years, however, as the Republic tries to ascertain [sic] its independence, efforts are being made to transform the RMS into a top-notch military school.

Edited to add an example that's less "official" but at least as "cultural":

Quote from: EVE Online: Character Generation: Minmatar: Education: Republic University
The Republic University (from where future Minmatar industrialists graduate) was founded by Minmatar emigrates [sic] as a show of support for the fledging republic shortly after its inception. The school is modeled after the University of Caille and based on the Gallentean education system.

Around 30% of the population of the Federation is Matari. I'd be very interested in the timelines there and explanations of how that came to be the case.
« Last Edit: 23 May 2011, 18:40 by Matariki Rain »

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain

The Amarrians used Minmatar slaves from Pator (and their descendants over 9 centuries; that's a lot of people) to populate Imperial colonies in the regions that are today Heimatar, Metropolis, and Molden Heath.  During the Great Rebellion, the Minmatar kicked the overlords out.  I directly addressed these questions in the Hitchhiker's Guide (linked above) and did so (imo) in a convincing way.  Have you had a chance to read it?

According to this the Minmatar had been colonising the systems around Pator for centuries before the first Amarr contact. The conquest of Matar, which is itself more than a century after the slave raids first began, still left other planets unconquered.

Given it was another five centuries for the Amarr to develop jump drives and another century or more after that for FTL communications, I think the slow pace of expansion makes sense.

Incidentally, Ken, you might want to up date the Vitoc/vitoxin information with the information on symptoms found here.
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots

Incidentally, Ken, you might want to up date the Vitoc/vitoxin information with the information on symptoms found here.

Hmm, yes.  That's painfully detailed and I need to rewrite/expand the Vitoc paragraph.  I will add it to the list of changes for the next future version.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain

Do note that the jump drive is not the warp drive. I assume Amarr have had warp drive type faster-than-light or near-lightspeed drives before the first stargate to Hedion (i.e. before 21290).

As for systems around Pator, I understand that the canon is still that Minmatar had three systems, and were possibly preparing to do their own interstellar travel when Amarr appeared. I assume that this is the first interstellar nation found by the Amarr, and as such, they were unprepared to take on multiple planets at once, and proceeded to raid the main one. Slow Amarr advance may have allowed the Minmatar to finish their systems, possibly augmented with captured or scavenged Amarr technology.

Thus, the Minmatar have two avenues of expansion around the cluster: Primarily, being taken to other systems by the Amarr, and secondarily, flying there under their own power (or ships under new ownership), fighting a guerrilla war. Bigger warp-capable ships (such as cruisers) might be capable of interstellar travel without gates (not possible ingame to warp from system-to-system, of course).

On expansion of the empires: By some version of the fiction, the City of God was built into a central location in the Empire. Naturally, it might be that the Amarrians of that time considered all explored systems as their sovereign space (since there was no one else around to contest that sovereignty) and the actual colonized space was smaller. Aridia was explored (and the Ni-Kunni Reclaimed) around the same time as the Minmatar, so the Amarr seem to have been about at their current size (plus Minmatar regions) before CONCORD was founded. Caldari and Gallente had their blitz of colonizing systems during the war to keep the other empire from flanking the other.
Quote from: Minato Zumari, Caldari Navy Commander (Lonetrek region description)
Our surveys show that there are many planets capable of sustaining life in these systems, however the lack of a proper stargate network has drastically increased the travel time for our mission. I think it is worth it, I don't trust those Gallente further than I could throw one, and that isn't very far given their indulgences.

The initial speculation for a fall back position seems to be sustainable. However we have one potential problem, long range probes that we sent out have been reporting some strange readings. Our science teams think they are reading stargates and an adjoining region which is disturbing. I do not think it possible that the Gallente have yet moved that far and until we can confirm these readings and determine who or what these stargates belong to it would be ill advised to place ourselves in a position where we have our movement restricted on multiple fronts.

Borza

• Kuru Khai
  • Omelette
  • We come for our people

1. They slowboat all the way from Amarr Prime to Pator. This is highly unlikely, of course. It must be in the region of ~15 light years door-to-door, and even with the best conventional speeds available to Eve ships (say, 20 km/sec) it would take well over two hundred thousand years to cross that distance. As an aside, Voyager II is happily tootling along at something like 17 km/sec without the benefit of mwd or nanofiber hull mods... :P

Remember the most common hand-wave for EVE's non-Newtonian physics in space is that warp drives cause a 'drag' of some kind. Pre-warp drive ships in such a situation could easily have far higher maximum speeds.
Pages: 1 [2]