Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ladette Russeot is a Gallentean woman who in YC106, at age 17, hacked the code used by deadspace warp beacons that had been proclaimed unhackable just days before.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Thebeka and the Danger of "Real Roleplayers"  (Read 8630 times)

Teinyhr

• Wetgraver
Re: Thebeka and the Danger of "Real Roleplayers"
« Reply #15 on: 14 Jan 2019, 13:08 »

War never changes ;)

Agree with Samira as usual; it's always more fun to be fighting with/against people you know/have history with, much less fun when 'x' group brings disproportionate numbers and firepower to an event to blow it out of the water.

There's always that tricky equation where the tiny RP pool wants dev involvement for storylines, but the more an event gets promoted the larger the derpsquads are going to be who show up to shit all over local and the event.

So yea all the usual stuff about welcoming people and getting more people in the pool, but it's also ok to be frustrated when you've been working on interaction and plotz (tm) with lots of people and then random bored FC with tons of people show up to shit on things and squash everyone.  Such is EVE.

+1 to this too.

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
« Reply #16 on: 14 Jan 2019, 13:15 »

And I agree that is frustrating.

However, I also find it frustrating that the RP pool is tiny, especially having seen so many people who have been somewhat interested but turned away.

Teinyhr

• Wetgraver
« Reply #17 on: 14 Jan 2019, 13:57 »

However, I also find it frustrating that the RP pool is tiny, especially having seen so many people who have been somewhat interested but turned away.

How or why have they been turned away, is an interesting question? Because in my observations most interactions with new people we generally shower them with love and try to help them to flesh out their characters and even if they want to for example, roleplay a bloodline that is not in the game, we try to help to do so. People genuinely interested in roleplay are nearly universally welcomed with open arms, when I've noticed them, if they just come and say hi.

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
« Reply #18 on: 14 Jan 2019, 14:16 »

Well there was an example of that in this very thread?

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #19 on: 14 Jan 2019, 15:09 »

Quote from: Silas Vitalia
much less fun when 'x' group brings disproportionate numbers and firepower to an event to blow it out of the water.

I will point out that the combined forces of the two 3rd parties were smaller than the individual fleets formed by the Amarr and Minmatar sides.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Teinyhr

• Wetgraver
« Reply #20 on: 14 Jan 2019, 16:03 »

Well there was an example of that in this very thread?

Ah. Right, there is. "That is until they saw us getting shit on for being uninvited nonRPing blobbers. Over the course of this what little they have seen of the RP chat and forums has killed any sparks of interest in joining RP. " That's of course unfortunate, though I haven't noticed that being done in any channels I frequent (though, since it doesn't concern me, it's easier to miss), and I don't know what this "shitting on" consisted of.

I know I did throw one abusive-ish comment (something like "Was there actually people roleplaying there and not just some nullsec twats whoring for free kills?"), though it was not aimed at any particular group, for my part, I'm sorry if that turned people off of roleplaying. Why I said that was drawn from my experiences and bittervetness with Live Events, where faceless masses generally mean "LOLRP" -hollering and general douchebaggery. Of course, not being there in person I should have just refrained from saying anything. Including posting in this thread. vOv

And well, in this particular case I understand, the roleplaying part indeed wasn't that much about twirling moustaches and talking in Shakespearian English in local, but more about trashing people about. And everyone was more or less invited by someone to trash other people about. So in that sense that was perhaps one of the biggest roleplayer bouts certainly in the past few years if not ever.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #21 on: 14 Jan 2019, 17:08 »

Yeah I have to admit, I'm still curious where PNS got shit on. Once they picked and joined a side, I saw nothing of the sort.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #22 on: 14 Jan 2019, 21:26 »

Quote from: Harry Dresden
"The Building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault."

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #23 on: 15 Jan 2019, 02:56 »

[mod]Attempted a quick cleaning, please remember that Rule 3 applies even to people you really don't like. Several posts were collateral damage due to replying to moderated content, but I tried to keep as much intact as possible.Please keep in mind that if your post was removed due to replying to a moderated post you are free to repost, just without the moderated stuff (and it won't really be there for you to reference anymore.)[/mod]

« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2019, 03:01 by Silver Night »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #24 on: 15 Jan 2019, 12:19 »

Sorry I was speaking in generalities, I don't know a thing about this event or who showed up for what, just that that sort of thing is a common outcome on occasion.

It's probably more endemic to EVE in general though, anyone who loses a fight or has their plans squashed can usually be counted to point to the other side doing -things- that are untoward and not in the spirit of the game :P

At the end of the day though they've yet to solve the problem of have the tiniest bit of immersion not be ruined by legions of derp toons flooding local with ASCII penises and whatnot while you are trying to talk to the Emperor or whatever dev actor :P

Mizhir

• Egger
  • Vherocool
« Reply #25 on: 24 Jan 2019, 09:27 »

I have now witnessed one of my own threads on the IGS become derailed by an OOC discussion masked as an IC discussion about who are true RPers™ and who are not.

Really shows how relevant this thread is.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
-OOChé

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #27 on: 24 Jan 2019, 10:54 »

Oh, and hey...
The Community is now a meme.
...again.
Time to dust these off! (Keeping my tongue thoroughly in cheek.)

-OOChé

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #29 on: 24 Jan 2019, 12:35 »

I have now witnessed one of my own threads on the IGS become derailed by an OOC discussion masked as an IC discussion about who are true RPers™ and who are not.

Really shows how relevant this thread is.

how dare you rp while being in an organisation that doesn't have a history of IGS rp posting.

kind of lame tbh.

"mercenaries don't count", "non-rpers don't count", "it's a lunar eclipse on the third tuesday in january, so doesn't count"

kind of daft really.

And a kind of elitism.

the background is full of things where a capsuleer frowns at doing mundane stuff: "I have people for that", and so on.
which extends to players considering the idea of a capsuleer doing martial arts and stuff, to be ludicrous. "pfft, that's silly, my character has people for that".

but lets take a player who has a talent for trading and manufacturing stuff, and making a lot of ISK doing so, but has no real interest or aptitude for actual spaceship combat. Now, they could hire mercenaries to deliver a beat-down on someone they disapprove of. But that gets seen as "a dick move", or "not real RP", according to some recent posts here.

why is virtually paying virtual people to be your characters bodyguards "normal RP", while paying other capsuleers to do your space dirty work, "not real rp" ?
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2019, 12:46 by Louella Dougans »
\o/
Pages: 1 [2] 3