Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That ship crews only perform cleanup, maintenance, and lower-order operations on ships? (The Burning Life p 31)

Author Topic: Forums  (Read 1194 times)

Kaleigh Doyle

Forums
« on: 13 Oct 2011, 10:30 »

So I've probably asked this question a few times on various forums, but I can't find them, so please indulge me. I'm looking to setup a new forum and I'm looking around for other free board applications than phpbb. Are there any free ones out there that have plenty of mods and easier customization or should I stick with what I have?

Any valid suggestions would be helpful!

Lyn Farel

Re: Forums
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2011, 10:57 »

SMF, like this one. It is the only free one I definitly love. And its easy to mod (automatically unlike phpbb). More beautiful/serious graphically overall too.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct 2011, 11:46 »

What will the new forum be about?

Arkady Sadik

• Egger
« Reply #3 on: 13 Oct 2011, 12:11 »

EM uses MyBB - http://www.mybb.com/ - and I like it a lot so far. A number of good mods, but no EVE-specific ones (I can share a basic convo formatter, but our forum API auth is separate from the forum itself; I *hate* writing PHP code).

Misan

• Shady Thukker & Ninja Admin
  • Pod Captain
    • Serious Thukking Business - Blog
« Reply #4 on: 13 Oct 2011, 15:44 »

Having worked with both phpbb, SMF, and IPB, I have to say for free stuff SMF is probably one of the best ones out there. Especially now that they've finally released 2.0 final and all the mod authors are updating to the new version now that it is finally out of beta phases. It integrates well with EVE "stuff" and is definitely very moddable as our alliance SMF forum has fun things like TS lists and scheduled event timers running on a sidebar.
EVE Blog and Project Status: on hold -- busy being Thukker-esque IRL.
Twitter
What I'm busy with, if you're curious.

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #5 on: 13 Oct 2011, 20:24 »

Having worked with both phpbb, SMF, and IPB, I have to say for free stuff SMF is probably one of the best ones out there. Especially now that they've finally released 2.0 final and all the mod authors are updating to the new version now that it is finally out of beta phases. It integrates well with EVE "stuff" and is definitely very moddable as our alliance SMF forum has fun things like TS lists and scheduled event timers running on a sidebar.

This.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #6 on: 13 Oct 2011, 20:40 »

I do believe I'm sold, thank you gang! :D